32, 34, 36 and 37 New Mexico Aoudad

tjt0307

FNG
I was fortunate enough to draw the mid February 2021 tag for the units above to chase the poor man's sheep. I'm from Amarillo TX which is relatively close to the area and so I'm planning on scouting the area at least once. I can't find any information or help online at all which I'm assuming is tied to guides and outfitters being tight lipped. My main question is about road/land access off of highway 82 around the border of unit 32 and unit 34. Any help would be appreciated before we head to scout there next weekend.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the same tag, same time. Sorry, I'm zero help to you as I haven't even started scouting/planning on this hunt yet (will start in Oct after elk) but just wanted to connect. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

Felix40

WKR
Picacho road is a county road. Felix canyon is closed to through traffic from 13 to 82 but is open to drive most of it. Other than that it’s pretty much foot access in that area.

Seth

WKR
I will be there in January with my brother. My wife had the tag last year and we had a lot of fun with it. Foot access was best for us.

OP
T

tjt0307

FNG
I have the same tag, same time. Sorry, I'm zero help to you as I haven't even started scouting/planning on this hunt yet (will start in Oct after elk) but just wanted to connect. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

Yes absolutely the more help the better, hopefully we both see some critters.

OP
T

tjt0307

FNG
Picacho road is a county road. Felix canyon is closed to through traffic from 13 to 82 but is open to drive most of it. Other than that it’s pretty much foot access in that area.

Thank you Felix that helps a bunch. I was also reading contradictory information for that area in regards to hunting land rights so I need to do some more checking before February.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Felix that helps a bunch. I was also reading contradictory information for that area in regards to hunting land rights so I need to do some more checking before February.
Hey guys,
I have this tag for next month (December hunt) and I'm struggling as it sounds some of y'all were in figuring out road access into the huntable units. Has anyone gathered more info on what might be good access roads/spots to park and walk in? Thanks in advance.

rbljack

WKR
checking back in on this one.....its Mid feb and here in texas its been record cold...hope you were able to get out there to 36 and go on the hunts....any updates from the hunters who had the tags? would love to know more about this hunt.

checking back in on this one.....its Mid feb and here in texas its been record cold...hope you were able to get out there to 36 and go on the hunts....any updates from the hunters who had the tags? would love to know more about this hunt.

Unfortunately I got COVID last week and have had to cancel my trip. This stuff is no bueno on the lungs. Maybe next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
My brother and I filled two tags with nice ewes. It took nearly a week to find sheep, but once we did, we found several. It’s a very fun hunt and I look forward to my next tag.

Backstraps were great grilled, and the burger is good too.

Attachments

• 4077D349-88FB-453A-A132-F8B44B7FB44B.jpeg
    4077D349-88FB-453A-A132-F8B44B7FB44B.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 129
Congrates on the Barbary!

I have this year's tag (FEB 2022) and can't wait for it to roll around.

Big area across 32, 34, 36, & 37.

Just ran across a cool story from 1972 Sport's Illustrated (SI Vault) about the original herd ranch (just south of Tinnie NM on the El Chato Ranch...which is long gone).

5F54CA16-A720-4189-BAE2-27972CE20423.jpegGot my first aoudad 26 1/2” this past November in llano county Texas. Same time my buddy shot a nice buck that no longer shed velvet (can’t remember the name of the disease). Good luck out there.

jduck

FNG
I have a Barbary Sheep tag for Unit 32, 34, 36 and 37 for Jan 20 to Feb 2. Any advice where to start would be great? Also do you shoot the first one you see?

BBob

WKR
;)

View attachment 318630Got my first aoudad 26 1/2” this past November in llano county Texas. Same time my buddy shot a nice buck that no longer shed velvet (can’t remember the name of the disease). Good luck out there.
Stag, but it's from eating moss and lichens off granite per biologist. I've never killed several around castell.

Congrats on both

TxHunter9

FNG
Just got back from mule deer hunt in 32 and ran into small herd of Auodad with a couple nice rams. Was hoping the two hunters we ran into from Arizona that were scouting might be monitoring the forums on here. Reach out if so.

On -X is a required tool- expect to run into a lot of locked gates and no trespassing signs even on County roads and public lands. Find some broken country that's public and do a hike.