329 Reloading - my experience

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface this with - I'm relatively new to reloading. Recently started working up some loads for my 329pd. Right now, I've been playing with a few different bullets (Missouri Bullet Company 240gr smasher, Hornady 240gr XTP and Beartooth 280gr WFNGC). After lots of searching through the manuals I own and internet searches...finally came up with a few recipes that seems to work well in my revolver. YMMV.

240gr Smasher - running these over 10.0 gr of Universal and and CCI 300 primers. Getting 1030fps w/ a sultry single digit ES. Really nice shooting / "plinking" load.
240gr XTP - running these over 19.5gr of 2400 and CCI 300 primers. Getting 1215fps w/ single digit ES. Started to get sticky extractions at 20gr and the ES grew.
280gr Beartooth - Marshall gave me some great load recommendations using AA5 that I plan to try...but experimenting with some Enforcer I had on hand. Definitely knew I had a heavier bullet. Right now, settling on 18.5gr and CCI350 primers. Getting 1115fps with ES in the 20s. Feels good.

I'm running the gun with the hoque x grips. Despite the horror stories online regarding this airweight 44 being painful to shoot, I don't find it uncomfortable to shoot with the ammo I've loaded for it thus far. Perhaps if I started pushing 300gr +P ammo through it, I might change my mind. Don't really have plans to do that.

Any of you guys running those 280gr WFNGC bullets? How are you loading yours up?

OP
B

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
Been playing with the 280gr WFNGC. Found some AA5 to try per Marshall's recommendation. Here's the data. All using 5 shot groups unless otherwise noted.

10.5g AA5 in starline brass with cci300 primers, 944 fps with an es of 3. Really easy to shoot.

11.0g AA5 in starline brass with cci300 primers, 977 fps with an es of 1 (4 shots - chrono missed one).

Also tried some loads with Universal.

9.5g Universal in starline brass and cci300 primers, 1029fps with 6 es. This is a winner.

10.0g Universal in starline brass and cci300 primers, 1066fps with 17 es.

Lastly, the enforcer data

18.5 gr enforcer in starline brass and cci350 magnum primers, 1095fps with 30 es

19.0 gr enforcer in starline brass and cci350 magnum primers, 1125fps with 10 es

The velo on the enforcer was down a little today vs my first range session. Maybe seating depth variation? Either way the es was similar to last time and running at 19.0g (max) seemed to work best. Really good thump with no sticking on extraction. Definitely magnum power.

AA5 is GREAT for low power loads on a light gun. Have to pay attention though.... The powder hardly fills the case. Burns clean and lights off with standard large pistol primers.

That said, I'll likely stick to Universal vs AA5 because it fills the case more and is easier to find around me. Both are great options tho.

@dla I've been on your site quite a few times. Really appreciate the info you shared.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk