329PD reloading recipes

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some reloading recipes for my new-to-me 329PD. Plan to load some "plinking" stuff and something for protection from critters. Understand there's varying opinions on the right setup but think I'm going to stick to 250-260 grain hard cast to keep things simple. Lots of posts about using 2400, Enforcer/4100, 4227, H110/W296, Unique/Clays. Trying to stay away from anything that's going to tax the revolver too heavily. Read a few articles and write ups about H110/W296 and Lil Gun burning through the blast shield so plan to stay away from those. Have the lyman reloading book on the way...use that as a reference but like to see if any of you have any recipes you really like.

Thanks! (y)

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
For years, decades, I've been loading a 250 grain cast lead semi-wadcutter over 9 grains of Unique as my standard practice load for the 44 mag. It's pretty easy to shoot, and seems to have never caused any issues with my various 44 revolvers. Depending on barrel length, it's good for around 1,000 - 1,100 fps.

I always figured that a 250 gr semi-wadcutter at around a thousand fps was pretty reasonable too.

My stash of Unique powder is the old stuff, about one step removed from black powder I think, and it tends to get the revolver pretty dirty during an extended range session. There may be better choices these days, but I've got at least 7 pounds of Unique left, so I'm going to keep using it, a few grains at a time.

I do load some much more powerful loads too, but I don't shoot them much.

Regards, Guy

OP
B

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
OP
B

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
For years, decades, I've been loading a 250 grain cast lead semi-wadcutter over 9 grains of Unique as my standard practice load for the 44 mag. It's pretty easy to shoot, and seems to have never caused any issues with my various 44 revolvers. Depending on barrel length, it's good for around 1,000 - 1,100 fps.

I always figured that a 250 gr semi-wadcutter at around a thousand fps was pretty reasonable too.

My stash of Unique powder is the old stuff, about one step removed from black powder I think, and it tends to get the revolver pretty dirty during an extended range session. There may be better choices these days, but I've got at least 7 pounds of Unique left, so I'm going to keep using it, a few grains at a time.

I do load some much more powerful loads too, but I don't shoot them much.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the input Guy. Unique is definitely on the short list. Need to see what my local stores carry. Pretty sure I've seen unique...I've read that Universal would give similar results while being a bit cleaner. Easy enough to clean the gun...so likely let the dollars and cents choose for me. Thanks again.

No special recipes, but I think you are on the right track with 240-250 gr hard cast. Getting into the 300+ gr heavy loads and the 329PD can have problems.

When I packed a .44 a lot, my training load was a pinch of Red Dot. Accurate enough and very low recoil There are probably better options out there, but I shot a lot of it at very low cost.

I also used a lot of 2400 behind a 240 gr for full power stuff, but looking back I doubt that it's the best. It just happened to be what I started with. I remember that it involved a lot of muzzle flash and smoke and they were fast enough that I had to be careful not to lead up the barrel. I'd probably try something different if I were to pick up the .44 again.

Wrench

WKR
My 329 has been back to Smith 2x for new blast shields and once because it locked up. I have about 10 pounds of 296 through it and plenty of unique. I like the clean burn and velocity of 296.....and the fact that I just about can't blow up a revolver with it. Unique works great....but you do have to pay attention.

Smith does blast shields for free including shipping both ways. I say just buy one, put x frame grip on and go wear it out. Its not fun with stock grips at all.