329PD Very Shootable

Wrench

WKR
Good shot. What power (fps) are you shooting? On the brief first trip to the indoor range the grouping seemed very good even though I was standing. Did you keep the V rear sight or swap to standard rectangle opening?
It's been too long since I had it over the chronograph, I'm at 24 grs of 296 with a 240 and 22/300. I had the v at that point, but swapped in the square later. The square is easier for most people. If you learn to watch the top of the sight they both work well.

ultraedge

FNG
You can buy the parts you need to change the front and rear sights from Midway USA for about $20.00. The factory sights are awful. After the sight change, the groups with full house 240 grain loads went from 4" to less than 1" on my buddy's 329PD at 30 feet.

OP
L
Yes, I'm planning to swap to square rear and looking for a tritium front for the low light conditions. Fiber optic is nice in good lighting but even in a lower lighting indoor range it wasn't very bright...or maybe my eyes are getting older! Looks like Mepro may be the only tritium one I can find at this point.

dla

WKR
Here is some bathroom reading material you might find interesting.

I prefer the 329 over the Glock 20 because the 329 is lighter (31oz fully loaded).

When my supply of 270gr WFN (1150fps) is depleted, I'm going to try MBC's coated 300gr WFN (likely 1050-1100fps). Other 300gr fodder I've shot (1050fps) was pretty nice shooting.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR

I prefer the 329 over the Glock 20 because the 329 is lighter (31oz fully loaded).

When my supply of 270gr WFN (1150fps) is depleted, I'm going to try MBC's coated 300gr WFN (likely 1050-1100fps). Other 300gr fodder I've shot (1050fps) was pretty nice shooting.
Mine has seen less field time since my love of 10's came to be....but it's been in the field A LOT and I never feel under gunned or under fire powered. I suppose if I get in a shootout with a hornets nest I'm going to go out a few seconds earlier.

Reactions: dla

I can also attest a 300 gr bullet at a decent speed is quite manageable. I am using the Hogue X-frame grip.

dla

WKR
Mine has seen less field time since my love of 10's came to be....but it's been in the field A LOT and I never feel under gunned or under fire powered. I suppose if I get in a shootout with a hornets nest I'm going to go out a few seconds earlier.
I've had mine for 10 years now. It has been with me for a lot of miles. My 31oz security blanket :)
The only thing that ever rusted/corroded was the rear sight blade. I keep it fairly clean, but it lives in a nylon holster, and I don't do anything to it. My blued steel revolvers would rust pretty fast if treated like that.

dla

WKR
I can also attest a 300 gr bullet at a decent speed is quite manageable. I am using the Hogue X-frame grip.
That's the better grip between it and the Pachmayr - IF your hand is big enough. IMHO. This is a revolver that really needs a good grip. Recent production 329's look like they come with some version of the Hogue - which is a very good thing.

OP
L
That's the better grip between it and the Pachmayr - IF your hand is big enough. IMHO. This is a revolver that really needs a good grip. Recent production 329's look like they come with some version of the Hogue - which is a very good thing.
Yeah, the Xframe is touch larger than I'd ideally like as my hands aren't too big. I've done enough a handful of action shooting competitions and training so feel pretty comfortable getting the right grip, but there's not a lot of length to spare.

I might test out the 300gr in the future but don't know any bigger copper bullets. Cutting Edge Bullets has some 240gr solid copper bullets which I'm going to try for CA.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Mine had a huge point of impact difference between full power .44 Mag loads and the .44 Special loads. The .44 Special loads shot much higher, due to bullet in barrel time and recoil causing the barrel to rise more than the faster .44 Mag loads.

I wonder if this false voodoo science will ever go away.

Raymont, Just actual shooting and seeing the difference in POI between two types of loads. 2-handed grip, shot off-hand....Low powered .44 Special lead bullet loads vs "full power" 240 gr jacketed bullets. The lead bullet loads shot a lot higher. And I shot 100's of the .44 Special reloads and enough cylinders of the full power reloads to understand POI of each.

You can tell me why if you like! But actual and real deviation of POI with me shooting them out of my 329. Shot at the Clear Creek Co Sportsman's Club range about 13 or 14 yrs back. Don't have any handguns anymore after I moved from CO to BC so unable to run out and retest it.

Anyway it is something to check out if you have a powerful short barreled handgun and shoot different loads through them...some loads going 800 fps vs 1150 or 1200 fps and are interested in having the handgun sighted in.

OP
L
Raymont, Just actual shooting and seeing the difference in POI between two types of loads. 2-handed grip, shot off-hand....Low powered .44 Special lead bullet loads vs "full power" 240 gr jacketed bullets. The lead bullet loads shot a lot higher. And I shot 100's of the .44 Special reloads and enough cylinders of the full power reloads to understand POI of each.

You can tell me why if you like! But actual and real deviation of POI with me shooting them out of my 329. Shot at the Clear Creek Co Sportsman's Club range about 13 or 14 yrs back. Don't have any handguns anymore after I moved from CO to BC so unable to run out and retest it.

Anyway it is something to check out if you have a powerful short barreled handgun and shoot different loads through them...some loads going 800 fps vs 1150 or 1200 fps and are interested in having the handgun sighted in.

Thanks, I’ll definitely sight in for the backcountry carry load. Then I’ll simply check if the special practice load is noticeably off. Figure should just be a couple clicks on elevation max so it’s easy to change.

The specials were easy enough I’m planning to do a couple shooting competitions with it for practice purposes. Likely will get cyclinder cut for moonclips as once I tried them it’s hard to own a revolver without them for me.

robtattoo

WKR
Care to debunk this instead of just make unsupported comments?

I see the same thing with my .357. 200gr BB loads impact higher than much faster 125gr practice loads.

Noticed the same thing out of my SBH shooting full house 240s & 180 specials.
4-5" higher with the super mild 180s.

dla

WKR
Yes exactly, and the max FPS is likely about 1250 for the 329PD or at least that’s what buffalo bore is recommending in their 255gr load.

Sometimes folks read velocities and don't realize they are for longer barrels. Buffalo Bore gives honest 4" velocities that are higher than what I can hit with published load data.
I haven't updated my blog for a while and I think I'm nearing the 4500 round mark and pretty close to needing another blast shield.

OP
L
Sometimes folks read velocities and don't realize they are for longer barrels. Buffalo Bore gives honest 4" velocities that are higher than what I can hit with published load data.
I haven't updated my blog for a while and I think I'm nearing the 4500 round mark and pretty close to needing another blast shield.

Thanks for documenting so much info based on actual experience (rather than speculation or opinion) for the 329pd as it helped. Yes, I totally appreciate that Buffalo Bore actually lists the velocities of the individual guns the ammo is shot from, with the 329pd coming in at 1264fps with their 255gr bullet, while the 5.5" Redhawk comes in at 1357fps. I'll check back when I get some loads put together and through the chronograph to share actual velocities I see.

dla

WKR
Mine had a huge point of impact difference between full power .44 Mag loads and the .44 Special loads. The .44 Special loads shot much higher, due to bullet in barrel time and recoil causing the barrel to rise more than the faster .44 Mag loads.

I used the S&W .460/.500 grip but still had a numb hand after a cylinder full of full power loads. Bottom line...sure wish I could have brought it up to BC and carry it when I bow hunt here. But after a decade I've gotten use to bear spray.
Your post got me thinking. So when I was plinking yesterday, I brought along a variety of 44mag loads to see the change in POI. 240gr@920fps, 240gr@1250fps, 270gr@1170fps.
@20yds offhand.
The 920fps fodder printed correctly for elevation, but 2" to the right.
The 240gr@1250fps and the 270gr fodder printed exactly to POA.

Most of the time I shoot steel plates but this time I shot paper.