33 Nosler

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the 33 nosler? looking at one in a lightweight platform. Not a huge fan of recoil but the 300 win mag doesn't bother me. Would the 33 nosler on a lightweight platform with a muzz brake be a rough stick ? or tolerable?

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the 33 nosler? looking at one in a lightweight platform. Not a huge fan of recoil but the 300 win mag doesn't bother me. Would the 33 nosler on a lightweight platform with a muzz brake be a rough stick ? or tolerable?

I haven’t shot one, but just judging by bullet weight, velocity, and powder burned, it will recoil more than a 300 win mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't plan on spotting your impacts with a lightweight platform but an efficient muzzle brake should make it tolerable if you're ok shooting 30/06 ish type recoil with a light rifle. More capacity and heavier bullets than a 300 win mag. They will recoil more than a 338 Win Mag, little less than a 338 RUM with comparable bullets/pressures.

haven't shot a 33 Nosler but I shot a 338 RUM lightweight, trying to work up a load for a buddy - I know there are a lot of MB designs (even a "baffled" 2 piece design that works pretty darn awesome) but that RUM, even with the MB it came with had muzzleblast/concussion that will wake a guy up - that was mainly with 225 grain pills

WKR
Wondering what the lightweight 300 win mag can't get done that the 33 Nosler will? What bullet are you looking at using in the 33 Nosler? Had an 8 pound 340 Weatherby with a brake for a few years. I don't miss it.

I've shot the nosler model 48 in 33 nosler quite a bit doing load development with 250s. Even with a brake recoil is stout. You definitely wouldn't want to play without one. Its tolerable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wondering what the lightweight 300 win mag can't get done that the 33 Nosler will? What bullet are you looking at using in the 33 Nosler? Had an 8 pound 340 Weatherby with a brake for a few years. I don't miss it.
.33 and .35 pills arrive with AUTHORITY, of that there is no doubt BUT you're probably right until getting into stuff that bites back (then a LANYARD ain't big enough) Since I'll never "leave the house intending to shoot long range" I'm still gonna stick with a 338/06 and will most likely have a .35 Whelen soon just to scratch that itch

jhm2023

WKR
I had a Montana Rifle co. X3 in 33 Nos. I liked the cartridge a lot but hated the rifle. Without a break I didn't noticed it to be any different than a similar weight .338 win mag and I went through an entire load development session with no discomfort. I've killed moose with 300 wm and 338 wm but the 33 Nos just hits them a whole lot harder. I since sold that rifle and now have a Fierce edge on the way and I will be removing the break before shooting it because I personally don't feel the recoil is enough to warrant that excessive noise. Keep in mind recoil is perceived differently by different people and stock design also plays a large part as well.

speters

FNG
Hunted all last year with my Christensen Arms Classic with their Titanium Side-Baffle break in 33 Nosler. It's nickname is The Hand of God because it will reach out and strike anything down. With that setup I can watch hits through my scope and recoil is almost non existent. I own 2 300 win mags, for big game I grab the 33 Nosler every time. If you look at ft lbs of energy the 33 Nosler carries compared to the 300 win mag its not even fair.

Load development was a breeze, highly accurate. And you won't have to run the extra step of a collet die like you do on the belted mags. 300 win mag is an excellent cartridge and has taken more than its fair share of big game, but there is no comparison to a bigger, harder hitting 338.