338-06 AI

elkguide

WKR
Those of you that have or have had this caliber, tell me about it, please.

Have a chance to buy one and just wondering your experiences and thoughts. I have lots of .30 caliber rifles and many others up to .30 but none in .338 so it's tempting me.

elkguide, I do not have a 338-06 AI but I am building a 338-06 on a Savage action. I debated the AI version but just wasn't familiar with the standard to really have the AI take flight for me. Furthermore, I chanced into a 338-06 barrel without the wait time etc. of having the AI barrel built. I have never been a speed chaser but have found the thought of a AI version of some rounds like the 257 Roberts, 280 and the 35 Whelen appealing. That said, if I had the opportunity to buy one, I probably would. My thought being that the added velocity would be beneficial for the mid-weight bullets specifically in the 338 to gain the BC and all the fancy and magical numbers.
Hope this helps a little bit in making the decision. If you do buy it, I'd love to hear the info on what loads you decide on and what shoots well in the rifle.

wyodan

WKR
I'm looking at building a 338-06 myself, probably not an AI though. But I'm also interested in hearing others thoughts on these cartridges. Not too many people seem to be increasing in caliber nowadays.

Haven't used that one, but have had other AI's. Can't see it being worth the trouble with custom dies, fire forming, load workup and potential feeding issues. Would have to be a pretty sweet deal AND come with the reloading gear for me to be interested.

.338-06 if you want to sling big bullets slow. .338 WM if you want do it slightly faster. The gap between is pretty small, so if I personally bought one it would be DESPITE the caliber. YMMV

wyben

FNG
I've had both, really enjoyed them. They work really well on Elk. I still have a standard 338-06.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to build a standard 338-06 A-Square on a 98 mauser action. I have considered the AI, but the information I can find indicates that there is only about 2 grains difference in case capacity.

I would be very interested to know how your rifle performs once you have it in hand.

gumbl3

WKR
I built one on a cheap old Marlin XL7 only because the finish reamer and dies were on clearance at Midway and I wanted to do something you don't see everyday. So I got rid of the barrel nut and ordered a short chambered barrel to make a frankengun.. I agree with the above, fire forming makes load development a pain. It is fun to shoot though, not snappy like a magnum and easy to get on target shouldering. No experience with terminal ballistics, has yet to draw blood.

Just had an '06 AI rebored to 338/06 AI (done by the outstanding J.E.S.) The weather here in mid Willamette Valley is so abysmal I've just not been enthused to get out to shoot yet, but soon I will - There is seldom any "velocity" reason for an AI chamber (although I've had outstanding results with a number of 223 AI's and my .280 AI is beloved) I keep reading these "fireforming is a PIA and not worth the trouble" comments, I could not begin to count the PD's I've "off'd" with fireform loads from 223 AI's, accurate, fast and brass ready to go afterwards - Fireform loads for others, like the 338/06 AI, are no big deal to form and with a bigger bore I like the bit of a shoulder increase for HS'ing - Shot 338 Win Mag forever, great cartridge but the 333/06 is more efficient and kicks less AND more efficiency from a 22" barrel (which I really prefer) First try for loads will be with 200 gr etips, will try 225 TSX if the 200's don't pan out

I shoot a Mark 5 ultra lite 338-06 for bear hunting here in Eastern NC its a hammer at 100-200 yards. recoil is mild. carried it to AK last year on a bear hunt hard to beat on a mid range gun. Makes for a good blood trail. Im shooting 210 grain Accubonds