338 250 grain Berger elite hunter

brockel

WKR
I have a good load worked up that is launching these out at 2800fps. But I’m hearing mixed results on terminal results. Some people are saying they are penciling through. What are you guys seeing from close to far

tdot

WKR
I have no practical experience with this bullet yet, I'll be starting my load workup for it soon. But, after researching it, I did find some comments about guys using pin drills to open up the tip to ensure proper expansion. Even just using a pin, to ensure the tip is open may be sufficient. No bad comments from guys who took that step. So I'll atleast be trying that.

Broz

WKR
I have no practical experience with this bullet yet, I'll be starting my load workup for it soon. But, after researching it, I did find some comments about guys using pin drills to open up the tip to ensure proper expansion. Even just using a pin, to ensure the tip is open may be sufficient. No bad comments from guys who took that step. So I'll atleast be trying that.
To elaborate on this. Here is what I use. Torch Tip Cleaner

And you do not want to enlarge the hollow point. Just assure it is open back to lead. The .027" drill is what I use most.

Jeff

Killed one mulie and one elk with that exact bullet out of a Lapua which is what I’m guessing you’re shooting with that kind of velocity. Mulie was at 647 and wound channel was good, hit bone on opposite shoulder and broke it all but didn’t destroy too much meat thankfully. The elk was at about 120 yds and I put 2 shots through him, seemed like it penciled through like you’re saying you’ve heard. I can’t remember what the velocity was off the top of my head as I have gotten rid of the gun.

I was going to shoot those same bullets through my win mag this year for moose but they didn’t shoot as well as game kings and plus they were too long for my magazine only allowing me to have 1 in the mag.

Broz

WKR
The elk was at about 120 yds and I put 2 shots through him, seemed like it penciled through like you’re saying you’ve heard. I can’t remember what the velocity was off the top of my head as I have gotten rid of the gun..

Very interested in this. Are you saying two of them went clear through an elk and the exits were close to .338"

What was the shot placement and angle on these shots?

Thanks for any additional info.

Very interested in this. Are you saying two of them went clear through an elk and the exits were close to .338"

What was the shot placement and angle on these shots?

Thanks for any additional info.
1st shot was behind the shoulder lungs and complete pass through with both holes being similar in size. 2nd shot was in the chest quartering hard to and so there was no exit.

I've seen results like this from my .270 with gamekings on whitetail under 100 yds, but performing well like they're supposed to past that. Basically exactly how the berger EH's did at short and long ranges.

Broz

WKR
I've seen results like this from my .270 with gamekings on whitetail under 100 yds, but performing well like they're supposed to past that. Basically exactly how the berger EH's did at short and long ranges.

Interesting, Thanks for the reply. So what you have seen in your experience is the SGK and Berger is they are not opening under 100 yards and exit holes are same size as entarnce, but work well over 100 yards where they fragment and expand. Correct?

Prestjd

FNG
I'm about to load up some 300 Berger's for my .338 edge, my last edge shot the 300 SMKs well. Is there any reason you went with the 250s over the 300s? That BC is really good. I'm not sure how much shorter the 250s are vs the 300s though

skierhs

WKR
I'm about to load up some 300 Berger's for my .338 edge, my last edge shot the 300 SMKs well. Is there any reason you went with the 250s over the 300s? That BC is really good. I'm not sure how much shorter the 250s are vs the 300s though
I would go with the 300’s. I am getting 2715 with factory ammo in 338LM with the 300 grain Bergers so with hand loading for an edge I’d imagine your getting even better performance.

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I am on my 3rd 338 Edge.. I have shot the 300 gr. in all of them...I am not real sure If you just consider terminal performance if the Berger gets anything more then the SMK's... The one Lapua I had shot the 285 Amax's the best... And this bullet seemed to open up every single time... But only witnessed this bullet performance on a very small sample compared to the Bergers or the SMK's

Interesting, Thanks for the reply. So what you have seen in your experience is the SGK and Berger is they are not opening under 100 yards and exit holes are same size as entarnce, but work well over 100 yards where they fragment and expand. Correct?
Correct, they both seem to perform much better out past 100 yds

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
To elaborate on this. Here is what I use. Torch Tip Cleaner

And you do not want to enlarge the hollow point. Just assure it is open back to lead. The .027" drill is what I use most.

Jeff

Broz, I like that torch tip cleaner! Is the .027” drill what you use just for .338 or would that be the appropriate bit for smaller calibers too, like the 6.5?

Can't help with Bergers, but I got excellent performance from Hornady spire point interlocks from 50-800 yards at 2900 mv. Old school but effective and accurate.

Broz

WKR
Broz, I like that torch tip cleaner! Is the .027” drill what you use just for .338 or would that be the appropriate bit for smaller calibers too, like the 6.5?
I don't remember off hand what I used for the 6.5's I would have to measure some. I used the .027" ish bit for the 338's and 30's. Remember, we are not wanting to enlarge the original hole. We only want to insure it is clear of obstruction back to the lead. So what ever bit just slide in the majority of the bullets easily is what I would use.