.338 compact build barrel options

Clarktar

WKR
6.25lbs. He actually has the rifle right now and is cutting the barrel down until my handloads reach ~2600fps, as that’s what I want ballistically from this rifle and I want it as light and stubby as possible. He’s also putting the action on a diet and he guesses he can have another .25lbs off of it. I’m also going to try loading some 185gr/225gr ER Raptor bullets by Cutting Edge, as well as a new 200gr sledgehammer by Hammer bullets, that isn’t on their website. I may also just stick with the ELD-X. it really is a bad ass little rifle. It’s what I use when hunting out of a backpack up here in AK.
That's it, I want one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
wildwilderness
6.25lbs. He actually has the rifle right now and is cutting the barrel down until my handloads reach ~2600fps, as that’s what I want ballistically from this rifle and I want it as light and stubby as possible. He’s also putting the action on a diet and he guesses he can have another .25lbs off of it. I’m also going to try loading some 185gr/225gr ER Raptor bullets by Cutting Edge, as well as a new 200gr sledgehammer by Hammer bullets, that isn’t on their website. I may also just stick with the ELD-X. it really is a bad ass little rifle. It’s what I use when hunting out of a backpack up here in AK.

How do you cut down a carbon barrel?

Also are the gunsmithing rates reasonable (forr Alaska 😆)

tdot

WKR
I own a Ruger m77 in 35 whelen that has taken elk, caribou, deer, and a 6’ black bear so I am familiar with a medium bore. But the rifle is limited on accuracy (2-3” groups at 100) and farther shots. I’m wanting to build in 338 to up the accuracy (sub moa) and extend the range with at least as much energy, maybe more. (I’m thinking of changing that rifle to A 9.3x62 or even 375 ruger if I can open the bolt) I have teenage kids so I need a couple more big rifles anyway

What do you think your upfront costs were? How did you pick the SS over the RCM?

I chose the SS over the RCM due to it having abit more speed, roughly 100-150fps for the same bullet, or even more. The performance that Stefen Haynes is reporting is awesome compared to alot of the loads I saw with the RCM. I like the ADG brass, it's tough and super consistent. I didnt see RCM brass that was comparable. And also, I wanted a wildcat. The SS line gave me a wildcat with Headstamped brass, so it's easier to travel with a rifle and matching brass.

You can check Sherman Wildcats for pricing. I dont recall what the total was. I know that when I checked it vs. Chambering an RCM the cost difference was maybe $50 total.

tdot

WKR
I don’t really know. I think he just cuts it and lathes the carbon off and threads the exposed steel.

Some carbons are super easy to cut (such as Hells Canyon) basically any gunsmith can do it. Proof barrels cant be cut down and I dont know if there are others like it.

tdot

WKR

I'd be very interested to hear how you like these different bullets. Especially the 200 Sledgehammer, it sounds like an awesome alternative to the 213 Hammer, that I'm currently using.

OP
wildwilderness
I'd be very interested to hear how you like these different bullets. Especially the 200 Sledgehammer, it sounds like an awesome alternative to the 213 Hammer, that I'm currently using.

I have tried Hammer bullets in a 243 with good results. Steve is great to work with an as mentioned will make a custom bullet if requested. a 200 hammer hunter in 338 would be interesting to keep velocity up in a short barrel

I have tried Hammer bullets in a 243 with good results. Steve is great to work with an as mentioned will make a custom bullet if requested. a 200 hammer hunter in 338 would be interesting to keep velocity up in a short barrel

Yeah, the 200 he made me is like a hammer hunter but with a 2mm hollow point instead of 1mm. Here’s a link to the thread in the hammer time forum that lead to the design on the 200gr SH. http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/791/338-rcm-lightweight-sheep-rifle

I chose the SS over the RCM due to it having abit more speed, roughly 100-150fps for the same bullet, or even more. The performance that Stefen Haynes is reporting is awesome compared to alot of the loads I saw with the RCM. I like the ADG brass, it's tough and super consistent. I didnt see RCM brass that was comparable. And also, I wanted a wildcat. The SS line gave me a wildcat with Headstamped brass, so it's easier to travel with a rifle and matching brass.

You can check Sherman Wildcats for pricing. I dont recall what the total was. I know that when I checked it vs. Chambering an RCM the cost difference was maybe $50 total.
I was surprised by the velocity I was getting out of the RCM as well.
I definitely thought about going with the 338SS or even the 338WSM, but at the time I wasn’t as comfortable loading as I am now and I wanted factory option just in case. The other reason I stuck with the RCM is my rifle is fairly light and I didn’t want the recoil to be unmanageable without a brake, even though it’s still pretty rough even with the RCM. I also wasn’t looking for super long range work with the rifle - I really designed around the idea of it getting out to 600 yards for sheep, goats, etc. but capable of taking a grizzly I may come across. I also wanted the option to load some heavier, more robust bullets like a 250gr a-frame for brown bear specific hunts. The other reason I steered clear of the 338SS is I’ve heard that it can have feeding issues due to the size and shape of the case. But I don’t have any actual experience with it.

OP
wildwilderness
OP
wildwilderness

I did notice Hornady as the only RCM brass option. I had bad luck with hornady in the whelen (the mysterious headspace issue) that I shy away from it. the SS with ADG brass would be better.

tdot

WKR

tdot

WKR

It sounds like we pretty much had the same design goals in mind, and then ended up with very similar rifles/cartridges.

My rifle is 6.5 pounds with a 22" barrel and muzzle brake, before rings and scope. The original plan was to start cutting barrel length down as soon as I knew the velocity I was getting. But I've been so happy with how the gun handles and the performance I'm getting from it, that I've decided to keep it where it is.

That's pretty cool. I was following that thread and I definitely think that could be a sweet spot for these short barrel, small cartridge 338's.

Mind posting a pic of the bullet?

I haven’t loaded them yet.

Attachments

• B4E8D483-E9DE-4F62-84CD-27FA39D41155.jpeg
    B4E8D483-E9DE-4F62-84CD-27FA39D41155.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 25

tdot

WKR

Awesome. Thanks.

I think I'll be ordering some of those for testing.