338 EDGE

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
OK..
Absolutely a Nubie.

I did something crazy.. maybe it was due to the pandemic.. but I got a 338 Edge rifle..

So....now I want to reload ELK loads..

If you were to reload for 338 EDGE, what would be your approach for ELK LOADS?

I want to learn and not re-invent the wheel!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kindly

Kris

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
If you had a 338 Edge or any of these big magnums, what is your approach on the type of bullet. Do you go with the 300gr Berger, or a 225gr E-tip, or 250gr Barns TTX?

What as been your experience with long range, down range thump on Elk!

kris

Geewhiz

WKR
Start off with a magnum powder like N570, retumbo, H1000, ramshot LRT, RL33 etc.
The purpose of the edge is to launch big pills so grab some SMK's, tipped SMK's or berger EH in 300 grains
I shoot R-P brass in my rum with no issues.
Good luck on primers, I use CCI 250's

Geewhiz

WKR
Start off with a magnum powder like N570, retumbo, H1000, ramshot LRT, RL33 etc.
The purpose of the edge is to launch big pills so grab some SMK's, tipped SMK's or berger EH in 300 grains

The load I use for my 338 RUM is
R-P brass
98 grains Ramshot LRT
CCI 250 primers
Berger Elite Hunter 300

Getting 2729 FPS avg

In an edge you should be able to fit a few more grains of powder to get a bit higher velocities.

It seams like most guys shoot 300 SMK's or some sort of 300 Berger

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
in another words, as one guy said, don't neuter the round.. Got it!

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
The load I use for my 338 RUM is
R-P brass
98 grains Ramshot LRT
CCI 250 primers
Berger Elite Hunter 300

Getting 2729 FPS avg

In an edge you should be able to fit a few more grains of powder to get a bit higher velocities.

It seams like most guys shoot 300 SMK's or some sort of 300 Berger
GeeWhiz.. I can't thank you enough for giving me a starting point! much appreciated!
I really like the 300 Berger Elite Hunter bullet.
I think I'll start with that!
thank you

Kris

I have an edge that shoots lights out and has killed a bunch of elk.

90 grains H1000
CCI 250 primers
300 grain Berger Elite Hunter

Never had any issues at all and I’ve killed elk from 108 yards to 575.

Geewhiz

WKR
GeeWhiz.. I can't thank you enough for giving me a starting point! much appreciated!
I really like the 300 Berger Elite Hunter bullet.
I think I'll start with that!
thank you

Kris
Keep in mind that bullet traveling with as much energy as it does needs alot of mass to achieve optimal terminal performance. We took some antelope and a wolf with it this year and if it didnt hit a shoulder or something significantly solid, it penciled in and out with zero expansion. That may be common sense but for some reason I was thinking it would blow an antelope to smitherines.

Elk are a different story just because of their mass. We took elk at 475, 530, 605 and 700 this year, all good lung/shoulder shots and performance was as expected. I am very pleased with the setup when using it on the right animals.

You said you were looking for a (strictly?) elk round so this should fit your bill!

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider

90 grains H1000
CCI 250 primers

Thank you Heath Hansen..Looks like a great starting point.. What brass did you use?

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that bullet traveling with as much energy as it does needs alot of mass to achieve optimal terminal performance. We took some antelope and a wolf with it this year and if it didnt hit a shoulder or something significantly solid, it penciled in and out with zero expansion. That may be common sense but for some reason I was thinking it would blow an antelope to smitherines.

Elk are a different story just because of their mass. We took elk at 475, 530, 605 and 700 this year, all good lung/shoulder shots and performance was as expected. I am very pleased with the setup when using it on the right animals.

You said you were looking for a (strictly?) elk round so this should fit your bill!
Thank you Sir!
I understand you point! The bullet needs some deep tissue or muscle mass be able to mushroom. Copy!

OK..
Absolutely a Nubie.

I did something crazy.. maybe it was due to the pandemic.. but I got a 338 Edge rifle..

So....now I want to reload ELK loads..

If you were to reload for 338 EDGE, what would be your approach for ELK LOADS?

I want to learn and not re-invent the wheel!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kindly

Kris
Depending on your twist. My son has a 28” proof barrel. He is using N570 with 215M primers and using 275 cutting edge Lazer Bullets. His velocity has been 3009 FPS. Every time he shoots through the chrony it says duplicate speed. The gun shoots lights out and is very consistent. I watched him engage a target at 1863 yds with a wind blowing from 8 o’clock to 2 o’clock gusts of 7-12mph and was spot on.

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider

90 grains H1000
CCI 250 primers

Just out of curiosity, what’s your COAL on this load?
Do you think your at max pressure at 90 gr?

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I am on my 6 or 7th 338 edge... My load for the last 4 has been 101.5gr ----101.8 grains of reloader 33...oal of 3.928..fed 215m all in resized remington ultra brass.... All have the 4 inch wyatts. and 30 inch barrels.... 2935-2980fps with the 300 grain Berger OTM's....This load has shot great ..... I have killed elk with the OTM's and never had a problem with them ... So have never changed and tried the huntings...