.338 Norma

280Ackley

WKR
I have an opportunity to get a .338 Norma on a Rock creek barrel, McMillan stock and a few other upgraded parts. Built on a Savage action. Would cost me about $2,250. It would be brand new (it’s not even built yet). From a builder I know and trust. He’s the one that built my last custom .280AI. Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I’ve shot his 300 Norma and loved it. That’s what got this started!!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have an opportunity to get a .338 Norma on a Rock creek barrel, McMillan stock and a few other upgraded parts. Built on a Savage action. Would cost me about $2,250. It would be brand new (it’s not even built yet). From a builder I know and trust. He’s the one that built my last custom .280AI. Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I’ve shot his 300 Norma and loved it. That’s what got this started!!!

Quite a bit, what is it that you’re wanting know?

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
Would I be able to find components to load, 250 or 300 grain bullets, what powders work best, barrel life and anything negative about it?

I built a 7.5 lb 338 NM a few years ago, it was an awesome rifle but the recoil was more than I was willing to deal with even using a terminator t3 brake.
250 Bergers were around 2950 with Retumbo if I remember correctly, accuracy was outstanding and it was easy to load for.
If there weren't such awesome heavy for caliber 30 cal bullets I'd probably build another.

One thing to consider is if the action is Lapua sized with a bolt diameter of .750, if its built on a standard sized action I'd say don't get it you'll have potential lug setback issues from the heavy bolt thrust associated with the .585 bolt face

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would I be able to find components to load, 250 or 300 grain bullets, what powders work best, barrel life and anything negative about it?

Components are hard to find for everything. Have shot a bunch of 250 and 300gr bullets, and would pick the 285gr Hornady ELD-M over both. H1000, Retumbo, and Vit. Barrel life depends on how hot it gets, but it’s good. The only things negative per se is the relatively low MV compared to big 30cals and the recoil.

mmw194287

WKR
Have shot a bunch of 250 and 300gr bullets, and would pick the 285gr Hornady ELD-M over both. H1000, Retumbo, and Vit. Barrel life depends on how hot it gets, but it’s good.

Is the 285gr ELD-M's terminal performance consistent with the rest of the line? Obviously it's much bigger than the 147, and I've wondered if it is essentially a scaled-up version of the same projectile or if there are differences in penetration/frangibility, etc. I've also been curious about the 270 ELD-X.

I've got a Sako TRG-S that will hopefully be rebarreled into a 338 NM this summer, and headed for a W3 folder shortly thereafter.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
Components are hard to find for everything. Have shot a bunch of 250 and 300gr bullets, and would pick the 285gr Hornady ELD-M over both. H1000, Retumbo, and Vit. Barrel life depends on how hot it gets, but it’s good. The only things negative per se is the relatively low MV compared to big 30cals and the recoil.

Did you hunt with the ELD-M?

Love mine, had it rechambered to .338 NM AI. The cartridge was designed around running a 300gr bullet. Retumbo seems to work well and if you are going after velocity then RL33.

I run a 22" barrel and get 2703 reloading it with 300ge bullets... SMK or Berger's. , factory NM ammo I get 2740. Running all Norma brass. Barrel life depends on how hard you run it... I run a standard TBAC brake on it. Short barrel to run a TBAC ultra.

Doc89

WKR
I built a 7.5 lb 338 NM a few years ago, it was an awesome rifle but the recoil was more than I was willing to deal with even using a terminator t3 brake.
250 Bergers were around 2950 with Retumbo if I remember correctly, accuracy was outstanding and it was easy to load for.
If there weren't such awesome heavy for caliber 30 cal bullets I'd probably build another.

One thing to consider is if the action is Lapua sized with a bolt diameter of .750, if its built on a standard sized action I'd say don't get it you'll have potential lug setback issues from the heavy bolt thrust associated with the .585 bolt face
What was the barrel length on that one? Barrel brand/model as well? Thanks! :)