338 terminator +p barrel life

Broz

WKR
What did you do with the 2nd 30 nosler Christensen barrel you had?
I just looked through some notes and can not confirm the round count on the second barrel. But my memory thinks it was 350 to 400. But could have been less. I had several 30 cal CA barrels. All shot great but these were the only ones I burnt up before I sold the rifles they were on.

Broz

WKR
I built the 30 Nosler +P with the cryo treated Benchmark hoping it adds life. Shooting 89 grains of 570, should be a great test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is a pretty good charge. I was shooting 82.2 grains in mine according to my notes. The Cryo treatment interests me. It is said there are other desirable traits that go with the process too.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked through some notes and can not confirm the round count on the second barrel. But my memory thinks it was 350 to 400. But could have been less. I had several 30 cal CA barrels. All shot great but these were the only ones I burnt up before I sold the rifles they were on.
B85D0DDF-2BC5-4DA8-AA4A-F4E9FFFD050D.pngWish you had the chance to shoot that second barrel out to maybe confirm the barrel burner theory.

Broz

WKR
View attachment 411766Wish you had the chance to shoot that second barrel out to maybe confirm the barrel burner theory.
I did a little searching today too. SAM that built one right after I did had the same results and I believe also went back to the 300 win mag. There is data out there that supports what I saw. I will admit I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the first barrel that made for a very undesirable bear hunt when it started tossing foul balls. But if you research the data there has been many go south around the same count as mine did. But it is what it is and to each their own. YMMV, I am only doing my best to relay my personal experiences too.

Since we're going down this barrel burner theory I just have to say there's magic afoot🤣🤣
600 rounds from a 30 cal with a case capacity of 99 grains, and 10,000 rounds from a 30 cal with a capacity of 94 grains.
The Department of Misinformation just called, they want their facts back..

Screenshot_20220516-205057_Brave.jpg

Broz

WKR
Since we're going down this barrel burner theory I just have to say there's magic afoot🤣🤣
600 rounds from a 30 cal with a case capacity of 99 grains, and 10,000 rounds from a 30 cal with a capacity of 94 grains.
The Department of Misinformation just called, they want their facts back..
As I stated back then, with names of who said stated that to me, it was just what I was told. I have to this day never used up a barrel on a 300 win mag. But I didn't then, and do not now claim to have anywhere near the round count Tim North and Joe Starnes told me they had. Believe what you want, time will be the proof.

OP
K
I don't have a dog in this discussion but I'll share my experience. My 30 nosler had a 26" broughten steel barrel. My load was 84.4 grains n570 running a 215 @3120. Definitely the high node for this rifle but extremely accurate. Noticeable ejector mark but the nosler brass seemed very soft. About 750 rounds groups opened up considerably with big random flyers. Tried to retune it but couldn't seem to get it back. I was hoping for longer life but wasn't too disappointed with the speed i was running it . Re barreled it to 300 win mag which has settled in to shooting 215's @2960 with 76 grains of h1000.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I think some of these cartridges and or throat designs would be a good test for one of Bartlein's, 400modbb steel, barrels. They cost more but if that 400modbb steel holds up better and lasts longer it could possibly offset the cost difference.

I have a new 400MOD on my RUM. It's a +P 34" 1:9 to 1:8 transitional twist. It absolutely did not want to break in and now with 180 rounds through it, has finally sped up. 245's at 3165 with RL33. I attribute this to the harder material. It is phenomenally accurate. I just had to learn to ignore the copper it produces and trust Carlock on that. We'll see what kind of life comes from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
I have a new 400MOD on my RUM. It's a +P 34" 1:9 to 1:8 transitional twist. It absolutely did not want to break in and now with 180 rounds through it, has finally sped up. 245's at 3165 with RL33. I attribute this to the harder material. It is phenomenally accurate. I just had to learn to ignore the copper it produces and trust Carlock on that. We'll see what kind of life comes from it.

If it's of any peace of mind to you, after numerous builds with them, I've yet to have Shawn steer me wrong so I'd say your trust is well placed.

I don't have a dog in this discussion but I'll share my experience. My 30 nosler had a 26" broughten steel barrel. My load was 84.4 grains n570 running a 215 @3120. Definitely the high node for this rifle but extremely accurate. Noticeable ejector mark but the nosler brass seemed very soft. About 750 rounds groups opened up considerably with big random flyers. Tried to retune it but couldn't seem to get it back. I was hoping for longer life but wasn't too disappointed with the speed i was running it . Re barreled it to 300 win mag which has settled in to shooting 215's @2960 with 76 grains of h1000.
Yep and that's very common with N570
Expect about 40% less barrel life over H1000

Where are you getting this number from?
I had a 300 Norma mag started shooting erratic at approx. 400 rounds using N570 with 225 eldms. I don't remember the exact load but it was approaching 90 grains if I remember correctly.
I sent the barrel back and was told the throat was fire cracked to shit.
Edit to add: I'm not going to trash the 300 NM over this experience cuz i know guys are getting 800 to 1000 with it using H1000.

I spoke with another shooter who toasted his throat on a 6.5 Sherman in less than 300 rounds with said powder

I recently rebarreled to 30 Nos and traded off my 9 lb stash of N570 for Retumbo and H1000.
It's not worth the extra 100 fps in my opinion

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had a 300 Norma mag started shooting erratic at approx. 400 rounds using N570 with 225 eldms. I don't remember the exact load but it was approaching 90 grains if I remember correctly.
I sent the barrel back and was told the throat was fire cracked to shit.
Edit to add: I'm not going to trash the 300 NM over this experience cuz i know guys are getting 800 to 1000 with it using H1000.

I spoke with another shooter who toasted his throat on a 6.5 Sherman in less than 300 rounds with said powder

I recently rebarreled to 30 Nos and traded off my 9 lb stash of N570 for Retumbo and H1000.
It's not worth the extra 100 fps in my opinion
I've shot a few 300 Rum barrels out with both H-1000 and 570. I lost about 100 rounds of barrel life using 570.

Doing rough math that's 13%. I was very nice to these rifles only shooting two-shot groups. IMO we need more data to know a true number.

I've shot a few 300 Rum barrels out with both H-1000 and 570. I lost about 100 rounds of barrel life using 570.

Doing rough math that's 13%. I was very nice to these rifles only shooting two-shot groups. IMO we need more data to know a true number.
Yeah that's really interesting, my shooting experience, and speaking with others in the long range community led me to believe at least 30% reduction over H1000 is pretty normal

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that's really interesting, my shooting experience, and speaking with others in the long range community led me to believe at least 30% reduction over H1000 is pretty normal

Shawn Carlock says it's around 50% compared to Reloder 33 which will do the same thing as N570 in my experience with possibly a little more temp sensitivity. I have not experienced the temp sensitivity yet, but I live in a mild climate too