.338 Win Mag

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any reason to own this caliber when I already have a .300 Win Mag? I know it can handle slightly heavier bullets, but the ballistics don't seem to be where they should be to justify it... This would probably be for a future moose or brown bear hunt.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think I would bother in your situation.
I have a 338wm. I Shoot 250gr NP out of it. I have taken elk and moose with it.
Yes it flattens elk and moose, but so does a 200gr NP from a 300wm.

I recently added a 28 Nosler to my gun cabinet. It will be my guiding rifle.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s for a future hunt like brown bear , just step up to a 375. The 300 and 338 are close enough that the 300 would be fine for what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the thought of stepping up to the .375. It seems like a badass caliber to have.

ldmay375

FNG
As we know, a multitude of cartridges work well for many things. The 300 Winchester is certainly a cartridge that works very well for lots of applications. I personally prefer the 338 Winchester over the 300 Winchester for my type of moose hunting. Though, I own 300’s, I have never hunted with them.
I normally use a 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger. These have not dropped a moose any quicker than the single moose that I shot with a 338 Winchester. He dropped instantly. So is bigger better, I am not sure.
I am definitely a fan of 375’s. But, the 338 Winchester would be my do-all cartridge.
If I had a desire for a 375, I would get it. I obviously did, and have no regrets. 375’s are pretty multi purpose also. Many consider the 375’s as near perfect for brown bear.
Is there any reason to own this caliber when I already have a .300 Win Mag? I know it can handle slightly heavier bullets, but the ballistics don't seem to be where they should be to justify it... This would probably be for a future moose or brown bear hunt.

I love the thought of stepping up to the .375. It seems like a badass caliber to have.

.338 Win Mag is my favorite caliber for elk. I have it and the .300 Win Mag, and I’d take the .338 any day over the .300. Then again, I don’t ever plan on shooting an elk beyond 300 yards. That’s just not my thing.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Nope. I’ve not shot my 338 since I bought my 300. I do have a 375 if I need more. 338 is killer but takes a bit of familiarity to not let it overpower you.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
.338 Win Mag is my favorite caliber for elk. I have it and the .300 Win Mag, and I’d take the .338 any day over the .300. Then again, I don’t ever plan on shooting an elk beyond 300 yards. That’s just not my thing.
That is why I like the .300 though. It can reach out there past 300 yards easily if need be... I also like the idea of a heavier bullet for some of the larger game. I know 270-300 can handle everything in North America with the right show placement, but its just nice to have a little more punch.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. I’ve not shot my 338 since I bought my 300. I do have a 375 if I need more. 338 is killer but takes a bit of familiarity to not let it overpower you.
Does yours have a brake? If so, how is the recoil compared to a .300 without a brake? You may brake your .300 as well though

I'd like a .338 Win Mag or a .338 Lapua Mag as my largest rifle. I happen to have a TBAC 338 Ultra so I'm not concerned about recoil/concussion. If I didn't have a suppressor waiting for it, I'd go with a .375 H&H instead.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry KB, the 300 does have a brake, the 338 and 375 are not. All are different rifles and weights as well so can’t give a hood comparison.
No worries. My .300 does not have a brake and I do not think it is that bad at all... I imagine a .338 with a brake would not be that bad either. Bad on ears though

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
It is the only caliber you need.

hodgeman

WKR
With modern bullets and powder, the .338WM is decreasing in popularity considerably.

While there's nothing wrong with it...it's too big for 95% of the hunting I do and too small for the remaining 5%.
Once I feel like I need more than the .300, I want to jump all the way to .375 or .416.