338LM AI shoots factory ammo to fireform?

buggz

FNG
I've read somewhere, forgot, that a 338 LM AI chamber shoots 338LM factory ammo to fireform.
AND, it is still accurrate.
True?
Anyone have direct experiences?

If so, I might as well have my new 338LM barrel chambered to AI?

Wapiti1

WKR
Generally speaking, A.I. means 40 degree shoulder that will headspace with either case. Since it isn't standard, you need to be mindful of what reamer you are ordering, or which reamer someone has. There are improved versions that don't work with factory cases.

The gunsmith also needs to headspace it properly to run both cases.

I don't have experience with the .338 Lapua AI, but have done several other AI conversions (.280, 30-06, 7X57). All shot well with the fireforming loads when I loaded to max in the reloading manual for the parent cartridge. Most of the time, though, I fireformed with pistol powder and filler as a cheaper alternative.

Jeremy

B23

WKR
I've read somewhere, forgot, that a 338 LM AI chamber shoots 338LM factory ammo to fireform.
AND, it is still accurrate.
True?
Anyone have direct experiences?

If so, I might as well have my new 338LM barrel chambered to AI?
Or, as another option, you can send it to Defensive Edge Rifles and have them chamber it to their 338 Terminator which is their version of a 338 Lap Imp with a 35 degree shoulder.

The benefit to having DE do it is they not only sell formed brass but they have custom Redding dies available for purchase as well and load data with a variety of bullets to get you started.