.340 Weatherby for moose and elk

Assuming the time to make it work in your weatherby mk V, what Bullet would you pick for elk, caribou, black bear, and moose out to 500 yards?

I’m leaning towards a 250 grain Woodleigh protected point, but have some lighter Barnes TTSX and Nosler Partitions that do ok too. Just haven’t taken those past 250 yards and don’t really trust the TTSX like I would like to.

cnelk

WKR
I use a 225gr Hornady Interlock pushed by 90grs of H4831.

Moose, caribou, elk, deer have succumbed to it.
One box of ammo lasts a long time :)

Shot this Wyoming cow elk at 560yds with a stiff cross wind

882EF466-D130-4D67-B288-CE250B77F2BE.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Back before the rise of the Ultramags and the LR craze, my late friend John Trone shot one of these for elk. He used Nosler Partitions. That was nearly 30 years ago. But he was an active guide on the Frank Church/Middle Fork and had seen probably hundreds of elk killed. And that was the caliber he chose for himself. He only weighed about 150 lbs but put up with the recoil because of its effectiveness on elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a .338 Jarrett/250gr Accubonds/2950fps. Bragging type accuracy and
the fast 33s are pretty tough to beat on game.
Don’t know the woodlighs other then reputation, it’ll work I’m sure.

LightFoot

WKR
I think the TTSX would be fine, but if you don't have confidence in it, don't shoot it.

The 340 Wby has quite a lot of speed and can push heavy bullets if you wanted to. However, 500 yards is not far when it comes to 338 projectiles at those speeds.

Partition is a great bullet.
Woodleigh is a great bullet

I am getting interested in the Hammer bullets, but no experience with them.

I used the ELD-X in 30 cal on a caribou, a stag, and 3 whitetails with quick kills.

>>>----JAKE----->

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I think out to 300 I’d choose a Barnes. If you’re stretching to 500, I’d go accubond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Barnes 225 TTSX out of my .340 Weatherby for Elk. A good second choice would be the Swift A-frame in 225 grains. It is similar in construction to the Nosler partition, except the Swift A-frame is a bonded bullet where the Nosler Partition is not bonded.

OP
Gunnersdad49
I like the A frames, and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I'm in the "overthinking" phase of this hunt right now, so I appreciate all of the thoughts. I've taken elk and mule deer with this rifle with Partitions, TTSX, and Bear Claws. I'm just sort of geeking out on the idea of a new and improved load. I've got a couple of rifle elk hunts on for this year, moose will be next year.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the A frames, and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I'm in the "overthinking" phase of this hunt right now, so I appreciate all of the thoughts. I've taken elk and mule deer with this rifle with Partitions, TTSX, and Bear Claws. I'm just sort of geeking out on the idea of a new and improved load. I've got a couple of rifle elk hunts on for this year, moose will be next year.
How did the hunts go?

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
Gunnersdad49
How did the hunts go?

>>>----JAKE----->
Got a mulie, boom/flop. My AZ hunt got interrupted when someone broke my truck window and stole my pack and all my gear. My late season cow hunt didn’t happen because of big, scary COVID (which I had in November and am now not too worried about for myself).

LightFoot

WKR
Got a mulie, boom/flop. My AZ hunt got interrupted when someone broke my truck window and stole my pack and all my gear. My late season cow hunt didn’t happen because of big, scary COVID (which I had in November and am now not too worried about for myself).
Damn... that sucks.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
Gunnersdad49
Yeah, good news is my buddy traded in his .338WM for a .340 so we can share Ammo in a pinch.
I am leaning towards the TTSX just because my local gun shop still has them on the shelf