35" offroad tire question

I've had 3 sets of Toyo Open Country's AT and AT2's on a couple trucks and can't say enough good about them, and had well over 60K miles on all of them. I had a 2018 F-150 and wanted 34'' tires for my 18'' wheels and went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, and I have never been so disappointed in a tire. Compared to the Toyo's they're weren't even close. Just my .02

FWIW I had exactly one set of ridge grapplers on a 1/2 ton grocery getter for alot of the reasons you listed and they wore way faster than expected and cupped terribly despite bringing the truck back in a couple times to try to correct it. On road they made more noise than a BFG KO2 (part of that might have been the cupping) but off road they did well enough. Made in same factory as toyo but far from same tire at least in my giant sample size of 1

I was underwhelmed

Wags

WKR
Have you looked at the Falken Wildpeak AT3? That’s what I plan to get after my stock tires wear out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had them on my GMC and currently have them on my wife's suburban. I've been very pleased. Good traction and great wear life on them.

tdhanses

WKR
At first glance I thought...no way those work in mud. Then I watched the video and the guy doesn't make any mention of mud whenever listing the tires off-road management. Have you driven in any real mud? Looks like it would collect mud, not eject it. During monsoon season in AZ that red clay just wants to cling to everything. One year I left it on the paint too long (3 weeks) and it literally ate the paint.
For mud I’ve found no AT is that great but i’m not in mud for much of a tires life otherwise I’d be looking at MT’s.

I bought a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT in LT285/75R18 for my 2019 Ram Limited. They measure 34.8" and have a 6 year / 60,000 mile warranty. I bought these based on many Rockslide recommendations including folks that work for the Forest Service out West and operate on them in the back country every day.

I've put about 12k miles on them so far and they've been fantastic. Low noise, aggressive look, minimal mileage impact, and great traction on gravel and reasonable mud. I live on gravel and so far there hasn't been any chipping or slicing on the tread blocks, and the tread pattern is more open and aggressive in person than in pictures.

I sold my facory 22"s and bought some factory 18"s for additional sidewall and better aftermarket tire options. These are also E or 10 ply rated which helps with trailering my boat and avoiding punctures.

Cooper AT3 XLT have been great tires on my Ford F150. Quiet on the highway and pretty good traction in most conditions. They have excellent sidewall protection.

Cooper ST Maxx. I switched to these a couple years ago as I wanted a bit more aggressive tread. They are a little bit noisier on the highway but not bad at all. The traction has been fantastic and I am extremely impressed with them in snow, ice, rain, mud, and other conditions. I've had nothing but good luck with the Cooper tires and they are made here in the USA which to me is another plus.

1666194289049.png
ST Maxx

AT3 XLT

1666194358204.png

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve had all tires mentioned as I’ve had/have a handful of trucks. The tire I’m currently running on my daily f150 is the nitto terra grappler g2. I just installed my 2nd set last night in preparation for being in the mountains next week. I had a little over 60k on them, the lowest one is at 5/32, I drive aggressive and the truck just laid down 671, so it’s constantly spinning tires accidentally. Seems any of the ats mentioned would more then serve your needs. The Toyo at is a great option and if you are not satisfied with that then none of these others mentioned will offer something you don’t already have. The ridge grappler I don’t recommend, the recons I had had come apart (manufacture defect) so I reinstalled my g2s n ordered another set of those. The cooper stts won’t last 1/2 as long, the wild peaks might be the most durable of them. A Duratrac might better suite you but don’t expect 40k out of them. Usually the more agressive you go the more they wear.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I'll second the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. I have those on my T4R and they have taken (and most importantly brought me back) from some gnarly off-roading during my elk hunts. Even though they are a P rated tire, they have an extra ply in the sidewall.

As far as mileage, I expect I'll only get 35k miles out of them. I never buy an off road tire for how many miles I can get as tread depth, how far (and lately how little) I drive, off-road performance, snow rating, etc. are far more important to me.

Good luck,

Eddie

OP
Where's Bruce?
I don't even see xtremes on toyo website and what you have pictured o. Your truck looks like an at2. What's the difference?

Honestly its an oversize tire on a fullsize truck isn't 50k enough?
My Falken at are gonna be smoked by 40k and thats fine. The roads in Mt this season have about shredded them.

When I ran mt I only got 25k
Discontinued but there's plenty of info on Xtremes online. When ya drive for days on the freeway to get to your hunt ya want a tire that's gonna wear over time. Especially when spending a lot on em. A failure deep in the backcountry is no fun. I buried my wheels in moondust once and spent several hours digging it out. That sucked enough...can't imagine the misery of needing a replacement tire. Haven't had any problems with the Toyos yet but do realize you must under-inflate them by 5lbs or the center will wear quicker.

Discontinued but there's plenty of info on Xtremes online. When ya drive for days on the freeway to get to your hunt ya want a tire that's gonna wear over time. Especially when spending a lot on em. A failure deep in the backcountry is no fun. I buried my wheels in moondust once and spent several hours digging it out. That sucked enough...can't imagine the misery of needing a replacement tire. Haven't had any problems with the Toyos yet but do realize you must under-inflate them by 5lbs or the center will wear quicker.
I just put 5k miles on my truck in 17 days of hunting.
I also put 2600 miles on my car in 4 days. I know all about burning rubber.
I'm just saying there tires, you can only expect them to do so much.
Small block Chevy and mud tires used to only last 15k, 50k is plenty, you can't expect stuff to last forever.
I average 15-20k on my hunting truck and 29 k per year on my work car. You ain't doing nothing I'm not. I just think you have unrealistic expectations.

Les Schwab quit carrying toyo because of mileage warrantys

I've had multiple Falken at3 shaped like eggs, torn out 2 sidewalls, and the roads with the 3" sharper rocks this archery season have shredded the tread ill probably get 30-40k tops.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
I run BF KO2 with great succes. We run them on our F250 fork trucks and get 50k out of them. Spendy, but I have no complaints with traction or longevity.

Used Nitto Terra Grappler in the past but was not happy with the traction.

Also had some Wildpeak A/T3 on my wife Expedition and had good luck.

274720910_10221249415168823_9041685881133404078_n-X2.jpg

ToolMann

WKR
I am (or was) a truck whore. At 44 years old I've had 8 trucks. Not bragging; it was foolish. Took me to get a little older to realize monthly payments forever suck. With that came tires. I've had a ton of different ones. My current truck is a 2017 RAM 2500 I bought new in January of 2018. I'm 3/4's of the way through my third set of tires at 73K miles total on the truck. Here are my thoughts:

For a half ton I love the BFG TA KO2. They are a great balance of on-road drive and off-road needs. Never felt like I needed more tire in any situation. I'd love to put them on my 2500 but I've read so many reviews on the lack of longevity with the heavier trucks and towing that I've been hesitant. But I sure do love that tire.

I had a 2008 Mega Cab Ram 2500 on 37" Toyo MTs. Amazing in mud. Sucked in snow. But hey, they looked super cool and I didn't live where it really snowed. Had over 60K miles on them when I sold the truck and there were needing replaced, but they wore well. I never ran them at the 70 front and 80 rear PSI though, always less.

My current truck blew through the factory installed Firestones at 16K. Went to Cooper ATs. Decent tire; great on-road, didn't like them much on anything wet. Deeper snow was ok, but they didn't perform well in mud, wet grass, etc. I realize part of the performance issues with tires in slick conditions with the diesel is the rear end being so light compared to the front. After the Cooper's wore out I went with the Falken Wildpeaks. I have enjoyed them more than the Coopers. Have performed well in the snow (I've been in Colorado 11 years now), have towed my trailer across the western US and have never really left me wanting for more. I may stick with them when I have to get new tires this winter or spring.

Some of the more aggressive tires entice me but the lack of pro-rated warranty when this truck eats tires the way it does keeps me away, for now.

BFG Ko2 on my 16 gmc 2500; 61k on them. I bet I have another 10k on them. Bought At discount tire, rotate and spin every 6 k with my oil changes. I will buy another pair, unless I can't find my size in stock.

Whitty

FNG
I've had the Falkens and Toyo's mentioned above on a Ram 1500...recently put on some Cooper Rugged Trek's and they have been great for 12K miles. Look fantastic, grippy in the wet, handled Wyo rocks like a champ, and were $400 cheaper than the same size Recon Grapplers. Think they have at least a 50K warranty and might even be 60K...