.350 Legend, .257 Rob, .450 Bushmaster

Looking at some Ruger rifles and notice they offer these calibers. I’ve come to realize I know absolutely nothing on these specific caliber of cartridges. Interested in anyone’s experience or knowledge on these three. I’m familiar with .35 Remington, how does the .350 Legend compare. I’m familiar with 25-06, comparison to .257 Rob? Also I have read of course about 45-70, same question compared to .450 Bushmaster.

I have a .257 Robert's. It's basically a necked down 7mm mauser. It's a short action so you cant get the speed out of them that you get from a 25-06. Still a pretty flat shooter though with very mild recoil. I've killed a pile of deer with it. Been around since like the 1930s I think. I have 0 experience with the other two. I have basically no interest in straight wall rifle cartridges.

robtattoo

WKR
The .35 legend, from my understanding, is a .35rem with it's balls cut off. It's slow, anemic & likely to disappear in a few years.
The .450 bushy doesn't really compare well with a .45-70. It shoots a .452 bullet, rather than a .458. You're kinda limited to 300gn bullets, where the .45-70 really starts there & goes almost to 600gn! It's more like a long .45acp. A buddy of mine in Indiana hunts with a Ruger in .450 & factory ammo. It's listed at 2100fps for a 250gn ftx & he tells me it performs great on deer out to 250yds!

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
The .35 legend, from my understanding, is a .35rem with it's balls cut off. It's slow, anemic & likely to disappear in a few years.
The .450 bushy doesn't really compare well with a .45-70. It shoots a .452 bullet, rather than a .458. You're kinda limited to 300gn bullets, where the .45-70 really starts there & goes almost to 600gn! It's more like a long .45acp. A buddy of mine in Indiana hunts with a Ruger in .450 & factory ammo. It's listed at 2100fps for a 250gn ftx & he tells me it performs great on deer out to 250yds!
The 350 legend and 450 bushmaster was designed with a few states in the midwest in mind. Ohio, Iowa, and I believe Illinois all used to be shotgun (slug) only and have transitioned to "straightwall" rifle cartridges for deer. They are trying to limit the range of their any legal weapon seasons but these are inherently more accurate than what most guys are using for a shotgun. I moved from Iowa several years ago but can tell you that even a good shotgun will have fliers and 100 yards is a poke with a 12ga for most hunters to do consistently. Both cartridges were designed to function in an AR-15 platform which is why they aren't speed demons. I would choose to use them in states where it is a requirement but they give you a huge advantage over previous options and are great for the states where the law will not allow shoulders. 350 legend is just an upper swap and a different magazine while the 450 bushmaster requires a few more modifications including a new BCG. I have lots of friends in the midwest and they are selling like hot cakes there. Whether or not the they stand the test of time will be dependent on if the laws change in those states. I also know the the .350 legend can be pushed much faster than the factory ammo becuase the factory stuff is a built to function in an AR15. Guys using them in bolt guns are getting 200-250fps more with factory loads.

As far as the law is concerned I believe it is a good transition. I grew up hunting in Iowa and have lived and hunted out west for the last 8 years. If you could hunt with any rifle it would drastically drop the avg age class of the deer there in one season. Iowa is know for having big deer and once the crops are out it would be easy to harvest deer at 400 yards with a 7 mag and I would hate to see all the guys running gravel roads with 300 win mags and Nightforces shooting deer at 800+ yards. The shotgun rule is why Iowa is know for having big deer and the straight wall rule will help with wound loss and likely only extend a hunters range slightly.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont live and hunt in a state where you are limited to straight wall cartridges, there is absolutely no reason to pay any attention to the 350 legend and the 450 bushmaster.
Completly agree with the exception of hogs in TX. 450 Bushmaster is basically a 45-70 that runs in an AR15 platform and has its merits in TX. I run the socom and prefer it but I know a lot of guys that run a 450 for that application.

I use a .450 some during our general rifle season. It makes a good whitetail cartridge for 250 and in. It's not unlike a 50 Cal muzzleloader using 45 sabots, just faster out the barrel.

rayporter

WKR
while i have some minor disagreements with a few posts it is not worth the fuss as they are close enough.

i have a 450 and a 45-70 and a bud has a 350 on the way - in time i will have useful info as he also has a .257 roberts.

i am not feeling the luv for the 350.

matthewmt

WKR
Any reason you're looking at these over the traditional options out there?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't bother with the 350L or 450B unless it's being shot out of an AR. They seem interesting but they don't offer anything over whats already out there in bolt or lever actions.

The 257 Roberts is a great little cartridge, I'd own one if I didn't already shoot a 250-3000 Savage.

MrTim

FNG
.257 Roberts is a fun cartridge to shoot. I have used it for deer and 2 generations before me have used it for deer and antelope. My kids will be using it with reduced loads. I don’t see much in the way of factory ammo for it though. Consider this if you don’t reload.

Clarence

WKR
I wouldn't bother with the 350L or 450B unless it's being shot out of an AR. They seem interesting but they don't offer anything over whats already out there in bolt or lever actions.

The 257 Roberts is a great little cartridge, I'd own one if I didn't already shoot a 250-3000 Savage.
250-3000! Now that's one out in the weeds! Impressed your hunting with that one. Most of them are collected safe queens I thought. The old quarter bores had quite a following 40 or 50 years ago. They don't seem to get alot of love anymore. Used to go to deer camp with a old timer. He didn't shoot well anymore, but still liked to buy new rifles. Every time he would miss, the next day he would grab his .257 Robert's from his younger years. Deer were still safe

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I love the .257 Bob. My uncle gave me mine after who knows how many decades is was hunted with. I replaced the ancient weaver scope on it and killed my first deer with it. I probably have half a dozen friends who've also taken their first deer or antelope with it. Factory rounds work great and have very little recoil. The hornady superformance +p rounds really woke it up and its a tack driver out to 300 yds or so. I can't really think of a better deer/antelope gun especially for someone getting used to shooting. Looking forward to my kids learning to hunt with it.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Any reason you're looking at these over the traditional options out there?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Eh not really just noticed Ruger has the scout rifle of theirs in 350 legend and 450 bushmaster and didn’t know much about those rounds and I think single shots are pretty cool, they got .257 Rob in their Ruger No.1. Just my own SA

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
250-3000! Now that's one out in the weeds! Impressed your hunting with that one. Most of them are collected safe queens I thought. The old quarter bores had quite a following 40 or 50 years ago. They don't seem to get alot of love anymore. Used to go to deer camp with a old timer. He didn't shoot well anymore, but still liked to buy new rifles. Every time he would miss, the next day he would grab his .257 Robert's from his younger years. Deer were still safe

Started out as buying a collectible rifle & ended up having three in the collection. I've always been a fan of Savage & wanted something with some history. Came across a 1920 & it was very innovating back then. First factrory cartridge to hit the 3000 fps mark & first commercially built lightweight rifle. Action is a shortened Mauser style action to save on weight.

First two I got are in pristine condition, but the third one I grabbed has bluing loss and a few nicks in the stock and that's the one i take out on really nice days. But i'm always on the look out for a drilled and tapped one for cheap to throw a scope on for longer shots.

Clarence

WKR
Started out as buying a collectible rifle & ended up having three in the collection. I've always been a fan of Savage & wanted something with some history. Came across a 1920 & it was very innovating back then. First factrory cartridge to hit the 3000 fps mark & first commercially built lightweight rifle. Action is a shortened Mauser style action to save on weight.

First two I got are in pristine condition, but the third one I grabbed has bluing loss and a few nicks in the stock and that's the one i take out on really nice days. But i'm always on the look out for a drilled and tapped one for cheap to throw a scope on for longer shots.
Are you able to buy new brass for that?

Rich M

WKR
350 Legend is a 9mm rifle. 355 bore.
200-250 yd gun.
Low recoil.
Light muzzle blast.

If you hunt thick woods, it is a decent round. If you like the idea of soft recoil it is a decent round.

No 350 legend ammo available around here right now.

If they can get the AR guys on board, it will take off.