350 Legend for Whitetails

cpoage125

WKR
Bought a 350 legend on total curiosity last weekend because it happened to be on sale

Curious if anyone has shot a 350 into a whitetail and what you think about things like
Knock down power
Recoil

Just curious if anyone has any field experience with this caliber into whitetails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR Lewis

FNG
Sir, I've had the same questions - more specifically, does the straight wall yield manageable recoil? I'm thinking of this as an option for my kids...

Sorry, not an answer to your question - just thinking similar thoughts...

OP
cpoage125

cpoage125

WKR
Sir, I've had the same questions - more specifically, does the straight wall yield manageable recoil? I'm thinking of this as an option for my kids...

Sorry, not an answer to your question - just thinking similar thoughts...

Well I’ve got some answers now!

Can’t speak to damage on game as I haven’t fired at an animal yet but all indications say it should be .243 type damage and then some based on energy

Recoil-this gun has minimal recoil. I was very surprised at how light. This could definitely be a firearm that a child could easily smack a deer with!

OP
cpoage125

cpoage125

WKR
I’ll also add that it is a very flat shooter. Was very impressed with trajectory at 100

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Gona use mine during ohio gun season in 10 days. I read best zero is 150 yards. I agree very flat out to 150. Starts dropping good after that though

George Davis

jmez

WKR
I just bought one for my 10 year old son. We are going out this weekend I'll report back if we shoot one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lots of info on Michigan sportsman including some recovered bullet pictures if you guys want to take a peek.

My 10 year old daughter has killed a few with her Ruger 77/357 with the furthest being 155 yards. The 350 Legend uses .357 pistol bullets and is just a small step up from most .357 Mag loads.
Recoil is near nonexistent with plenty of power out to 200 and beyond.

I just mounted a scope for my friend on his Ruger American 350 and it’s a pretty sweet shooting rig. It did have a minor feeding issue out of the box but it was literally fixed in under a minute.

Waiting for someone to offer a load with heavy Keith style bullet for the 350 Legend.

jmez

WKR
My son shot a doe with the 350 tonight. Just using factory 180gr Winchester PP bullet. The gun performed very well. Deer was 80-90 yards and he hit her in the chest. Nickel sized entry hole, quarter sized exit hole. There was about a 4 inch diameter sapling behind the deer and the bullet hit that and passed completely through that as well.

Good blood at the impact site and good blood trail to the deer that went about 60 yards. My 10 and 8 year old boys followed the blood trail to the deer without my help. First pick is entrance, second is exit. Entrance.jpgExit.jpg

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm really interested in putting together one of these in an AR platform. I built an AR several years ago for my son, chambered in 6.8SPC. He's shot 3 deer with it, and its been a good little deer cartridge. But the 350 is putting alot more energy downrange than 6.8SPC.

jmez

WKR
#2 down with the Legend. Took my younger boys out this afternoon with my tag. 2.5 year old buck about 70 yards away quartering too me. Shot him right in the shoulder, broke the humerus on near side and exited mid chest on the other side. Another quarter sized exit hole.

Another good blood trail that my 6 and 8 year old followed right to the deer. He made it about 60 yards after the shot.

Gun doesn't really kick at all and isn't loud. I'm impressed with the performance on both of these deer. Great kids gun as well. My 10 year old said it kicks less than his 20 gauge.

Use it within its limits and it is a hammer on deer.

Mine is a Ruger American Rifle, compact ranch model. 3-9 Vortex Diamondback scope. Fits my 10 year old perfectly.

Rich M

WKR
I'm keeping my eye on it.

How does the 350 Legend work at 200? If it can do a good job on deer at 200-250 yards...

Will look more seriously at it once reloading components become available.

(I have a Ruger M77-357 and it is a hammer on deer 100 yards and less - 11 of 12 DRT as in fall and twitch. Would hope 350 L can do the same.)

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I read the ballistics wrong, I was comparing 350 Legend Velocity to 6.8SPC energy haha. Oh well, still looks like it would be a fun round out of an AR platform inside 200 yards! The 6.8 with 110gr. bullet is maintaining a little over 1200 foot pounds at 200 yards, while the 350 is around 900

jmez

WKR
Mine were close. There is a video of YouTube of a guy shooting hogs with one. He shot a big sow at 208 yards and in one side out the other.

OP
cpoage125

cpoage125

WKR
Update. 350 does some damage and is an absolute shooter! Shot these 2 deer within about 30 seconds and both were heart shots as you can see.
2e1ff53252aa3e870b87959b5406abdf.jpg

I’ve been looking into one as well for my Ohio gun. I was planning on buying either a 450 bushmaster or the 350 legend this fall but I already tagged out in Ohio so there’s no rush now.