350 legend

Looking for any info on 350 legend in a bolt action. Specially the tc venture 2. What’s everyone’s favorite rifle and what accuracy with it. Looking for something for a possible Ohio rifle hunt. Thanks in advance

jmez

WKR
I bought one in Ruger American, compact ranch rifle for my kids. It is a great little rifle and really thumps deer. We've used both Winchester PP and Federal Power Shok, both in 180 grains.

Kids have shot 3 deer with it and I've shot 2. Fartest 180 yards. Hits hard and puts them down quick. Kids didn't make perfect shots on a couple of them and they didn't go far, just laid down.

Accuracy is good with the factory ammo. I can't remember but I think we sighted it in at 150 yards, less than a two inch group. Highly recommend for states that mandate a straight wall case. Great deer gun.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
H
Wow that sounds about perfect. I’ve only used a muzzleloader and it’s nice to have that 2nd shot. I’ll have to give that a consideration as well.

Ebroyles

FNG
The 350 legend is an awesome round. My brother and law uses the ruger American rifle also. Only 1 deer he shot this year did drop right away

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one in Ruger American, compact ranch rifle for my kids. It is a great little rifle and really thumps deer. We've used both Winchester PP and Federal Power Shok, both in 180 grains.

Kids have shot 3 deer with it and I've shot 2. Fartest 180 yards. Hits hard and puts them down quick. Kids didn't make perfect shots on a couple of them and they didn't go far, just laid down.

Accuracy is good with the factory ammo. I can't remember but I think we sighted it in at 150 yards, less than a two inch group. Highly recommend for states that mandate a straight wall case. Great deer gun.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
That's the exact gun I've been looking at getting but just dont like the magazine. Is there another option that mounts flush?

Fordguy

WKR
Shooting the ruger american with a 24" barrel I've shot 1/2" groups at 125 yards with Winchester 150 grain ammo. Preferred hunting ammo is hornady 165 gr american whitetail. It's been more consistent and still frequently sub moa, but no half inch groups.

Attachments

• 20191109_152618.jpg
    20191109_152618.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

barrister

WKR
I have a CVA Cascade in 350 Legend. It is a very nice rifle, especially for the price. It has a threaded Bergara barrel, which is Cerakoted. The stock material feels great and is very comfortable. I like the rifle way better than Tikkas and Thompson Center Ventures I’ve had in the past. 1 MOA accuracy with Federal Fusion ammo, Hornady FTX and Federal Non-typical ammo. I haven’t used it hunting yet but looking forward to it. The cartridge has been getting great performance reviews among people I know.

Agross

WKR
I bought my son, who's 8, a savage axis. It was the only one I could find in lefty. He shot his first deer with it. Its a fun little gun to shoot with not much kick. So fun , I decided to take it out for a late season doe. Was very impressed with the wound channel on both deer. Couldn't believe the size of the entrance holes. They were only about 40 and 75 yard shots, but even sighting it in it was a tack driver with factory ammo. A couple buddies have em and really like em as well.

OP
H
Good to hear some real feedback. I had a tc venture 270 and it shot sub moa with everything from 130-150. I was curious to hear whether or not the 350 was the same. Only thing I didn’t care for was I thought the bolt wasn’t very smooth even though they claimed it had been coated for smoothness.

Lukej88

FNG
I have the TC Venture II and couldn't be happier. I have shot every factory load through it and the most accurate has been the Hornady Whitetail, cloverleaf at 100 yds. I would have to go look at the different loads and bullet weights of each to give you the exact details of each. The Winchester 145 gr FMJs are good for bench shooting, accuracy is fine. I haven't spent much time with the factory loads as I have spent a lot of time handloading for it. I have a lot of time in load development, and it is a little tricky to reload, but once you have it dialed in it is straight forward.

I looked at all bolt action offerings ahead of purchasing the TC Venture II, and couldn't be happier. I like the 22" barrel, the LOP is a little short, but it isn't a problem at all. The bolt is smooth, but does have a short throw in comparison to other rifles I own, but isn't a problem. The mag sits flush to the stock, which is something I really wanted in a bench/hunting rifle. I have well over 150 rounds through the rifle since purchasing it in November and love shooting it. I don't have immediate plans to use it on a hunt, I purchased it as a good trainer for my daughter who is 12, and in anticipation that maybe Minnesota will allow straight wall hunting in slug zones in the future.

I just purchase a Ross Brakes muzzle brake for it and will do some toying around with it upon arrival. By no means does it need a brake, but with the TC coming pre-threaded in 5/8-24 I thought it was worth some testing.

The 350 Legend is a great caliber, fun to shoot, and reload, essentially a pistol round on steroids. If your contemplating one, buy it and don't look back. If you are going to reload, PM me and I can share some data with you as there isn't much out there to go from. One word of caution for anyone that is looking to handload, be very wary of the Hodgdon load data, their published numbers are not on the conservative side and you will reach pressure signs well ahead of max, especially with Lil' Gun. If you're shooting factory loads, they are cheap enough and readily available in my area as not many people are shooting them.

Rich M

WKR
I bought a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 350 legend in November along with some ammo, dies, and such. The rifle is a 16 inch barrel, bolt.

Started messing around with it and a 2-7x32 Viper scope, shot good enough to ring an 8 inch plate at 225 yards. Didn't like the scope - needed a little more magnifications so stepped over to 3-9x40 Diamondback due to the BDC reticle being simpler than most others.

Meanwhile I'm shooting the 145 gr solid points, 170 gr Interlocks, 165 gr FTXs, and 158 gr Fury bullets. Trying diff loads and such. Was shooting 1-gal water bottles at 150 yards and unable to collect any bullets - would go thru 3 and exit to left, even if I angled the bottle to the left. The win 145 factory ammo is great and will print near where my FTX handloads and the factory 170 interlocks hit - like within like an inch.

Probably 200-250 rounds down the pipe shooting 2 or 3 shot "groups". Reloading the round is very forgiving and easy. Using Lil Gun. Have loaded the 158 gr Fury bullet to 2,440 fps but ran out of them so turned to the FTX for the last couple of hunts of the 2020 season.

Where I'm at right now - 165 gr FTX at about 2250 fps, last trip to range, it shot roughly same hole at 100 yards, 1.1 inch group at 225 yards, and at 250 it was closer to 2.5 inches but I wasn't on a steady rest and wiggling all over the place while hanging on and shooting off a steep dirt berm.

The Diamondback BDC worked good - sighted crosshair for 3 inches high at 100. The bullet hits an inch high at 50 yards, 3 inches high at 100, 1 inch high at 150, close to dead on at 175, 1 inch low at 200, first hash mark at 225 yards and 3 inches above 2nd hash mark at 250 yards.

Have shot 2 does with it - set up a little close to them tho. 50 yards FTX thru shoulder and out paunch. Deer dropped and started those rear leg kicks, somehow got on feet and made it 100 yards. Plenty of blood and she was spray painting trees the last 25 yards. Shoulder had a fist size hole in it. 2nd deer was 30-35 yards w entrance just behind heart, exit at rear edge of ribs - pulled a bunch of stuff out with it. She dropped and wiggled a bit but never even thought about getting up. I'd like to see how it goes at 150+ yards before I start talking about how good a bullet it is.

The 350 Legend is a great caliber - throws a heavy enough bullet at reasonable velocities, just need a bullet that will expand. I got it to shoot a low recoil round for deer - it is a joy to shoot.

Last edited: