350 Rem Mag.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Anyone here shoot a 350 Remmy Mag? I may have an oppertunity to pick one up in a Classic M700. I'm considering it as a potential action donor for a short mag build,but how about as is? I've looked at the numbers,but real world experiances are always better. So,anyone here have any stories to tell?

Shrek

WKR
I haven't ever seen one myself but looking at loading for it the bullet selection isn't so hot. Mostly flat base , low bc bullets. I just did a quick glance at what was out there though. Seems to be a shorter range blast big hole round more than a reach out and touch them type. It would be a great donor for a saum or wsm round. Is it a short action with a 2.75 max col magazine ? If so the long for caliber high bc bullets have to be put way down into the wsm case. The winchester wsm short action has a longer magazine. It will seat out to 3.00". You can put an extended magazine in a short action remington that will get you to about 2.93". You have to machine out the rear of the magazine and it will have to use a hinged floor plate. I know...tmi ! You got me thinking. :)

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hmmm. Crap. Starting to sound like a bunch of nonsense. I guess I better make sure I can live with the 350 the way it is. I would guess out to 300 or so yards it would be OK for Elk. Maybe a 200 or 225 gr pill. I wasn't aware there was a different length WSM magazine. Thought (assumed) they were the usual and customary short action box. I better do some investigating. Thanks for the heads up,I appreciate it.

Shrek

WKR
All the short action remmys are that lenght. The winchester short action is a bit longer. It is the reason the real long ranger shooters put wsm's in long actions. In a long action you can put the long high bc bullets way forward up the neck and pack it full of retumbo. :)

Shrek

WKR
The 200gr accubond would be good way longer than that ! I don't have a ballistic calculater handy but I would guess it would have plenty to 1000 yards. Most of us will never shoot past 500yards hunting so just enjoy it the way it is.

unm1136

WKR
I am looking at re barreling my 1903 and was initially interested in this round after reading those essays. I think I have decided on .35 Whelen AI for this project.

Jager

WKR
I had a 338/06 built off a remy 700 in 270. I wanted a short barrelled, fast handling rifle, hence the reason I eventually went with the 338/06 over the 338win, the 06 cartridge handles the shorter barrel a lot better. In a short action like you a thinking about, have you considered a 338/08? Apart from that, imo I would stay with the 350rem.