350 spine with 150 grain broadheads

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to get a heavier setup for my bow. I currently shoot 350 arrow with 100 grain broadheads. Would like to buy some grizzly stik broadheads. Will i be too heavy out front if I go with 150 grain broadheads on 350 arrow? Should i get a 300 arrow? Draw length 28, draw weight 60 pounds. I’m currently shooting 29” arrows. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Based on the fact that you are currently shooting 100 up front I would say no. Have been watching THP recently by chance?

Rob5589

WKR
Likely not. Even a standard insert is around 15 grains, so 165 up front. What rest are you using? I'd guess you could take an inch or more off the shaft which would probably get it stiff enough. For reference, I'm 30.5 dl and use a 29" carbon to carbon shaft and could easily take an inch off.

Trial153

WKR
You might be able to cut em back an inch or so to stiffen them up …
For example I am 28.25 inch draw and I shoot 27 inch shafts…

60 pounds. No insert…
If you're shooting heads/points that thread into the arrow, you've got an insert of some kind. Assuming it's a lightweight insert (15-ish gr), I think you'll be fine putting 150 gr heads on a 29" 350 spine arrow at 60 lbs. If you do end up having problems tuning the heavier heads and think the arrows might actually be a little weak, you should have room to trim 1-2" off to stiffen them.

Reactions: Zac
OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
If you're shooting heads/points that thread into the arrow, you've got an insert of some kind. Assuming it's a lightweight insert (15-ish gr), I think you'll be fine putting 150 gr heads on a 29" 350 spine arrow at 60 lbs. If you do end up having problems tuning the heavier heads and think the arrows might actually be a little weak, you should have room to trim 1-2" off to stiffen them.
Ok so there are inserts then but it doesn’t say the weight online. I’m shooting Scheels Vendetta Pro which are made by Victory. I see no reason why i couldn’t cut them back to stiffin them up as well. I ended up with a 29” arrow because that’s what they recommended, for no other reason.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Likely not. Even a standard insert is around 15 grains, so 165 up front. What rest are you using? I'd guess you could take an inch or more off the shaft which would probably get it stiff enough. For reference, I'm 30.5 dl and use a 29" carbon to carbon shaft and could easily take an inch off.
I use a whisker biscuit.

Ok so there are inserts then but it doesn’t say the weight online. I’m shooting Scheels Vendetta Pro which are made by Victory. I see no reason why i couldn’t cut them back to stiffin them up as well. I ended up with a 29” arrow because that’s what they recommended, for no other reason.
Looks like those are Victory VForce arrows sold under a Scheels brand, so I'd guess they're outfitted with either Victory's 11 gr or 22 gr aluminum inserts. Either way, Victory's spine calculator says 350 spine will work for you.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like those are Victory VForce arrows sold under a Scheels brand, so I'd guess they're outfitted with either Victory's 11 gr or 22 gr aluminum inserts. Either way, Victory's spine calculator says 350 spine will work for you.
Ok awesome, maybe I’ll call Scheels today and see if they can clarify whether they are 11 or 22 gr. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy the 300 spine arrows If I’m going 150 grain?

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I’m awesome, maybe I’ll call Scheels today and see if they can clarify whether they are 11 or 22 gr. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy the 300 spine arrows If I’m going 150 grain?
Hard to say, you should get some 150 grain field tips and see how those tune first before investing in a premium 150 grain broadhead.

I’m awesome, maybe I’ll call Scheels today and see if they can clarify whether they are 11 or 22 gr. Do you think it would be beneficial to buy the 300 spine arrows If I’m going 150 grain?
I think your 350 spine arrows will be fine, especially if you trim them a bit. Like Zac said, you could try some 150 gr field points to see how you like the trajectory and see if you can get them to paper/bareshaft tune with your current arrows before you commit to the 150 gr broadheads. You'll need 150 gr field points anyway for practice if you do end up going with heavier heads.

Rob5589

WKR
Depends. You said you wanted a "heavier set up." Do you want a heavier arrow overall or just more weight (foc) up front? Another question is why are you wanting to change anything?

Zac

WKR
I think if your currently shooting a whisker biscuit you probably have some other upgrades to do before you dive into the world of single bevels and tool steels.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I think if your currently shooting a whisker biscuit you probably have some other upgrades to do before you dive into the world of single bevels and tool steels.
I don’t understand what you’re saying.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Depends. You said you wanted a "heavier set up." Do you want a heavier arrow overall or just more weight (foc) up front? Another question is why are you wanting to change anything?
Well I think I’d like a heavier setup overall, I just don’t want to buy new arrows and new broadheads right now, so I’m trying to figure how to get a bit heavier for 2021-2022 with spending too much $$.

Rob5589

WKR
Well I think I’d like a heavier setup overall, I just don’t want to buy new arrows and new broadheads right now, so I’m trying to figure how to get a bit heavier for 2021-2022 with spending too much $$.
Then you should buy new shafts. Adding weight to the front alone changes the spine characteristics. You could do something like adding wraps and a 125 gr point weight. That would get you around 35 grains heavier overall and have less impact on spine.

Yuhboyrob

FNG
Get archers advantage. You can plug in your arrow and different lengths as well as point weights and it will show you if it’s the right stiffness. I have 27” axis 340s that I was shooting with 116g upfront and I was able to add another 50 grains and still be stiff enough. It really depends on the length of the arrow tho. Actually, I just did it for you really quick and it says with 150g up front and a 20g insert you would be perfect.

E27B1FAE-4FE7-4AC4-AF15-1A9192EEF7F6.png