$350K to Buy Land- Where?

EastMT

WKR
Its not lower west, but if I was to buy a piece of property out west and wanted a large sized piece, I’d probably look at the Okanagon in North Central WA. You can get a lot of acres, remote but close to town, lots of hiking. Mule deer, elk, turkeys are possible. Probably need to haul water unless you drill a well.

Not sure of the future gains in value, but I love the country there. Can go on nice hikes to take pics of bighorn sheep in the area. Lakes/Rivers to kayak, fish, swim. Close enough to visit all the national parks in he western states.

I don’t know the NR tag situation for that area, but it’s always been on my radar. This is from same site above, Landwatch. May be too far north for what you are looking at, but I’ll toss it in here.

26f4abf9d28a8db7c46bf677f4c1f658.jpg

c1ee7916f589023761556a7d4bd39ecc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
Interesting topic. We just purchased a townhouse (actually two) in Livingston MT. I would not call it the best part of town. Plan was to move in for a bit, figure out where we want to live then use it as a rental. I am not living in it yet but have visited a couple of times. It is growing on me and we have started to question why would we want a larger house with more land. Started to kick around the possibility of some land we could use for three seasons. Have not even considered even looking yet but I have one simple criteria if I were to even consider it at all. Has to abut public land. Only then would I consider such a play.
Look me up if you ever need a hand with anything, I'm in town as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If I was going to spend that kind of money, I would be looking at south central Kansas, or north central Oklahoma. Great deer, turkey and bird hunting. It's not mule deer or elk, but you would get a lot more for your money and be able to hunt every year. Residency requirements in the west might be discouraging and $350.00 won't go very far.

AZ8

WKR
Its not lower west, but if I was to buy a piece of property out west and wanted a large sized piece, I’d probably look at the Okanagon in North Central WA. You can get a lot of acres, remote but close to town, lots of hiking. Mule deer, elk, turkeys are possible. Probably need to haul water unless you drill a well.

Not sure of the future gains in value, but I love the country there. Can go on nice hikes to take pics of bighorn sheep in the area. Lakes/Rivers to kayak, fish, swim. Close enough to visit all the national parks in he western states.

I don’t know the NR tag situation for that area, but it’s always been on my radar. This is from same site above, Landwatch. May be too far north for what you are looking at, but I’ll toss it in here.

Dang. Wish I could find a large tract here in Arizona at those prices. I’d jump all over it! Large tracts like that here in close proximity to National forests are in the multi-millions! $$$

colersu22

WKR

I’m not sure about other states but I feel like living on the east side of Wa which I love you do get screwed by king county still. I want to move to the east side but it’s hard when most the work is in the Seattle area. It is possible but a big pay cut.

EastMT

WKR
I’m not sure about other states but I feel like living on the east side of Wa which I love you do get screwed by king county still. I want to move to the east side but it’s hard when most the work is in the Seattle area. It is possible but a big pay cut.

I understand that completely. For me the peace and quiet of the country is worth more than money. I’m working on moving back home to Montana on the east side. Will be less pay, no OT, etc. but the quality of being away from it all is more important to me than the extra money.

Depending on your work it could be much more drastic a drop though, where mine is maybe 10-20% diff. But I’ll buy a fixer upper house, make up the diff. I know my wife was in W. Wa when we met and I dragged her to the country. Now we visit and she’s like how did I ever handle living here? Some occupations just not a choice, but I need open space to breathe rather than more money, but that’s a personal decision for each person.

As far as politics, in western states that def has to be a consideration depending on your persuasion. WA, OR, ID, MT, CO are/will be soon be controlled by the large influx of people from the more left leaning places as they grow and the population centers exceed the folks in the smaller places I suppose.

Buying land out west as a NR with the intention of hunting big game as a NR seems like a recipe for disappointment. Who knows if you'll be able to get a tag. In most situations it would have to be purchased with a primary goal of investment potential unless you have buku $ to spend to where you could actually get landowner tags.

I'm not educated on the investment aspect of it. I think long term land will continue into the stratosphere but we've been in a good economy for a long time and I wonder if we wont see a dip in real estate sometime in the next few years. Property values have been going nuts.

buddy of mines step dad worked border patrol and we went up there for a week of hiking, shootin guns, and drinking on his property in Republic that bordered on natl forest a while back. Stepdad had a bear tag so we went out for a couple days chasing bears. Theyd have some deer somc in too but I think you have to do a lot of scouting and work for mule deer. nice area but they eventually moved to the midwest bc of the politics. He shots a lot of 3 gun comps and i think got sick of whatever restrictions WA had on firearms.

Well, I bought a farm back in 2006 when I was 35 years old and have put a Goldmine in a Coalmine. It depends on your age. If you are 45 or younger, I'd pick Wyoming as a resident, on a trout stream. I'd you are over 45, I'd put half in a blue chip stock mutual fund, buy the best 4 season travel trailer that suits your purpose and use the rest to finance 2-3 quality trips a year done your way. If you like guided, go guided. If, like me you're a diy guy, use your time to spend your time at quality locations. If your significant other doesn't like boondocking or extended hunting trips I'd let her pick the trout stream in the locale of her choice and proceed with the plan outlined above!

CJohnson

WKR
I guess there’s a million ways to skin a cat, but if I was going to spend that kind of money in real estate I would want some kind of income potential. I don’t know what taxes are on land out west, but that would be a big thing to consider for me. I would put a down payment on some commercial property and lease it out, then use that income to hunt, hike, travel, etc.

If money isn’t a concern, then I’d say through a dart at the map and buy $350k worth of land anywhere. They aren’t making anymore of it, so over the long term I think it’s safe to say that it will increase in value somewhat.

If you have 350k cash, might be able to get a 100 acre clear cut with regen on it in North Idaho, but more than likely that's a thing of the past with the folks flocking in from California.

Any place in the opens of the west with a small creek at at minimum. Vast views of sunsets or sunrises would be a treat. Knowledge of prevailing winds and how topography affects the wind on the property- learned a lesson on that!

14idaho

FNG
Look around, there are good deals out there. My son just purchased 10 acres in N.Idaho for $110,000. Electric on property.

def90

WKR
Local jurisdictions through most of Colorado will not let you park and live out of an RV on your land, they want a permitted structure and they want you tied to utilities due to the number of homeless camps and general garbage piles that have been showing up out in the woods. You might get away with it for a week or two but I’m guessing an assessor will figure it out sooner than later.

Rich M

WKR
Just make sure you can afford the yearly taxes. A big downside in buying large parcels.

Of course you can make it agricultural in some areas and save on taxes that way.

Best wishes in your purchase.

Sounds like east Idaho would be your best bet, maybe greater Idaho Falls area. Within an hour or two of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and within an 8 hour day's drive of a host of some of the best NP's, including Glacier, Zion, Arches and the rest of the red rock Utah parks and several others.Not far from Montana or Wyoming to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk