357 vs. 9mm for hiking Grizz country

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from someone in NC, that’s never really had to deal with any type of bear as of now. How often do you have close encounters with a bear? Whether it’s a grizzly, brown or black? All the posts I’ve read about them makes it seem like it’s a pretty common occurrence.
Here's what some Alaskans say about bears, guns, and bear spray. For example, comment #19:

"Yeah, and I have had them charge me when I was minding my own business. Lots of interactions with bears when I was logging on the coast. If I tried to convince you how many bears I dealt with on a regular basis you would likely scoff. I have hosed a charging black bear boar with a .44 magnum. It died at my feet."

This thread is a couple of months old, but bear season is upon us again and worth a revisit.

Choices of firearms I am considering in grizz country:
- Glock 20 10mm
- Glock 43 9mm
- SW 629 44 magnum with 4” barrel

I normally carry the 629 in bear country. Do I practice with it enough? Honestly, no. I’ve shot a few boxes of ammo through it and I do notice my wrist gets tired pretty fast, making me gack the follow up shots. It’s heavy for me. But I can practice up pretty quick, if need be for a trip. I have a few months before I head out for grizz.

Glock 10mm. Older gun but new to me. I have only shot a few magazines through it. I think I can handle hard cast bullets with it but haven’t tried it yet.

Glock 43. This is my conceal carry pistol and I know it well. I have shot many, many rounds through it and have taken all of my self-defense classes with it. But I worry it just won’t be enough when Mrs. Grizz is mad.

I’ve shot a bear with my .300 WSM when it didn’t know I was there, and it dropped lights out.
I’ve shot a bear with the .300 WSM when it knew I was there and was hightailing it out of the area. He was difficult to put down with his (and my) adrenaline and took several rounds before he folded.

Thoughts on firearm to carry and the load?
Or carry my rifle and a can of bear spray?

I'd 100% choose the 357 with +P hard cast over any 9mm.

I personally bought a g20 10mm and shoot 220 grain hard cast handloads.
44 mag, 454 casull, 460 SW or 500 SW all pack more punch but generally are much heavier, more expensive and nearly 1/3 the capacity.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I love these posts, some of the comments are quite entertaining! That being said, your rifle will be your best option, after that, bear spray or pistol,( doesn't matter the caliber), will be your last ditch effort at avoiding a bad situation. That being said, whichever one you shoot better is your best option.

OP
Bezamaelee
This thread was started last summer. Ended up carrying my Glock 9mm with some Buffalo Bore. I trained with it a lot and it was pretty jumpy so I added a compensator and it was super manageable. I could run three rounds really quick on the moving target I practiced on. I know the 9 mm was not ideal but it was what I had to work with and the compensator was a couple hundred bucks, versus spending a whole lot more than that on a new pistol. I did keep my rifle in my hands at all times and when dealing with downed game my hunting partner and I took turns working and watching for Grizz.

FWIW:
I ended up not needing it because the Grizz that attacked me I just put him in an arm bar and made him tap out. I gave him a noogie, sent him on his way, and told him to tell his friends about what happens if you mess with me.

I’ll keep practicing all three and see which one I get most proficient with.
I won’t always have the rifle with me. I plan to do some fishing. And potty trips.

I’ll keep practicing all three and see which one I get most proficient with.
I won’t always have the rifle with me. I plan to do some fishing. And potty trips.
FWIW I tested a bunch of different hard cast in my 10mm and really liked the Underwood across the board, and that Federal as well in my 10mm and wife's 9mm, didn't care for the Buffalo stuff in the 10. In addition if you search on here there's been a bit of rude CS from Buffalo.