35x12.50/20 vs 295x65/20

golfbum

WKR
Currently have 35x12.50 r20 on a ram 2500 Cummins. About time for new tires. Anyone have any recommendations on keeping with 35’s or going to the cheaper 295’s? Looks like I would gain about .5” in height and lose about an inch in width.

Also favorite tire?

Currently have nitto ridge grapplers and they have been alright but want to try something else. An aggressive AT would be preferable

Baddog

WKR
Tires are in short supply like everything else. You'll have to look and see what's available from your local store

I bought tires a month or two back. It wasn’t about buying what I wanted. It was about finding a decent tire that was in stock and of the correct size. Ended up with cooper stt pro’s cause that was about the only choice in a 32” tire.

But about going 295/65-20, they would maybe look skinny. The difference in height would be less than the difference between different brands and models in the same size rating.

xcutter

WKR
I have 33 x 12.5 x 18 on my Ram 2500 with a leveling kit. I'll admit it doesn't look as good as the 35's but cheaper and doesn't rub hardly any.

Favorite tire is the Toyo Open Country AT2 Extreme. It's not real good in mud as they load up but good enough for most of my ventures.

CCooper

WKR
Compare tread height on the two sizes. More tread height = More mileage. If I remember correctly with Toyo's you gain a little tread height on the standard sizes versus the metric sizes. Although if you have a camper or tow heavy, sometimes the metric sizes have better capacity ratings.

I swap back and forth between Toyo MT and Toyo RT. I like them both, but either is better/ worse for certain tasks.

Sandstrom

WKR
If you can gain .5 in height and loose an inch in width, that should help with milage. The slightly taller tire will drop rpms a small amount, with the loss of width giving you less rolling resistance
From a looks standpoint, I prefer the slightly taller/skinnier tire.
Ryan

2five7

WKR
The 295s will have a higher load rating also, so don't forget to adjust your psi down if you don't need the full poundage rating.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I have wider tires than stock on my 1500 4x4 diesel with fender flares. I just love the mud that gets splattered all over my rear view mirror, doorhandle and side of my truck every time I drive thru a muddy puddle. Sure looks cool tho..