38 special, 357 magnum

I'm thinking of getting into a small revolver to take along in the backcountry...i know very little about handguns or guns in general...what should I look at ?

If you're looking for something specifically for the backcountry, even a .357 is a touch small, IMO.

I'd lean more towards a .44mag or a 10mm.

The .357/.38spcl will be more enjoyable to shoot, but the larger caliber will offer better protection in the woods.

I'm thinking of getting into a small revolver to take along in the backcountry...i know very little about handguns or guns in general...what should I look at ?
Look into some training as well. If you will be purchasing a handgun for protection, you will want to be very familiar with it, know how it functions, and what to do when it stops working.

Scoot

WKR
If you're looking for something specifically for the backcountry, even a .357 is a touch small, IMO.

I'd lean more towards a .44mag or a 10mm.

The .357/.38spcl will be more enjoyable to shoot, but the larger caliber will offer better protection in the woods.
Depends on what he's trying to have protection from, correct? If it's humans, black bears, mountain lions, etc., then I'd say .357 is good. If bigger critters are your concern, .44mag or 10mm are a better option. Personally, unless I'm in grizz country, I'm totally fine with a smaller caliber. That comes with the understanding that the majority of problems people have are with idiot-crazy-horrible-people.

Depends on what he's trying to have protection from, correct? If it's humans, black bears, mountain lions, etc., then I'd say .357 is good. If bigger critters are your concern, .44mag or 10mm are a better option. Personally, unless I'm in grizz country, I'm totally fine with a smaller caliber. That comes with the understanding that the majority of problems people have are with idiot-crazy-horrible-people.
True enough.

However, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have too much gun than not enough. Good enough is good enough until it isn't.

OP
Silvercreek1999
Also i guess what should I look at ? .smith and Wesson looks appealing...ill be Colorado this year but the following year ill be in grizz Country so may wanna look at 44 magnum

S&W Model 329PD (.44mag) will be my next purchase. Not fun to shoot considering the overall weight of the gun, but sure is a pleasure to carry around.

Personally, I'm partial to that caliber. Shot my first deer with a S&W Model 29 with an 8 3/8" barrel when I was 9.

OP
Silvercreek1999
S&W Model 29PD (.44mag) will be my next purchase. Not fun to shoot considering the overall weight of the gun, but sure is a pleasure to carry around.

Personally, I'm partial to that caliber. Shot my first deer with a S&W Model 29 with an 8 3/8" barrel when I was 9.
Will want something lightweight...probably 4 inch Barre

OP
Silvercreek1999
Ya thats exactly what I want but didn't want to drop another grand lol

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have spent a lot of time in the Mt. hunting or just camping and have only encountered bears once and Mt. lions twice. on those occasions they were not interested in bothering me, maybe I was lucky. Now, when it comes to the desert I have encountered rattle snakes many times. I carry a 9 mm with number 6 snake shot. I could just dispatch them with my shotgun but at close range I would rather use the 9mm.