38 special, 357 magnum

You might try to shoot a .44 with hot loads before deciding to buy one... And if you do go with the S&W you can swap their 500 grip onto the 29/629 handle for more cushion in the grip.

Tahoe1305

WKR
You might try to shoot a .44 with hot loads before deciding to buy one... And if you do go with the S&W you can swap their 500 grip onto the 29/629 handle for more cushion in the grip.
Concur with this.

I have a 2” 357 and shooting factory bear defense loads it’s a handful. I’ve shot normal power 44 mag before and also remember it being unpleasant.

all that said, I bought a 10mm glock and it shoots amazing. Is almost as light as my 357 with same amount of ammo AND you can load it with another 10 rounds.

FWIW ballistics on a hot 357 and hot 10mm are nearly identical.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
.357 is nice because you can soot .38 for practice or just because. Cheaper to shoot.38 than .357. Actually, now days nothing is cheap.

You can do this but it’s strange that people never seem to discuss the carbon build up in the cylinders from doing it. I damn near ruined a 346 mag by shooting thousands of rounds of 38 through it. The carbon was so bad I couldn’t get 357 rounds into it.

Now I just down load with my hand loads I’ll make 45lc power loads for my 454, 44spcl power loads for my 44mag etc using the magnum brass.

MojaveJim

FNG
S&W 329PD in 44mag I have is a handful with heavy magnum loads (kicks harder than my casull), but that's what I take in Griz areas backpacking.
Also have a Taurus 357 2.5" factory ported 7 round titanium revolver that I take more than anything else, I don't remember the model & has been out of production. I got about 20ish years ago. They do come up used on the auction sites. It shoots magnum loads real easy for the size & weight.

You can do this but it’s strange that people never seem to discuss the carbon build up in the cylinders from doing it. I damn near ruined a 346 mag by shooting thousands of rounds of 38 through it. The carbon was so bad I couldn’t get 357 rounds into it.

Now I just down load with my hand loads I’ll make 45lc power loads for my 454, 44spcl power loads for my 44mag etc using the magnum brass.
I have a S&W model 27 that has shot 38 special and 357 mag on and off for over 50 years, and a Model 586 shot the same way for at least 30 years. I have never had a problem with either, but they are cleaned after use/routinely. I imagine if one was to never clean then it could create a problem. Even still, it's nothing carbon cleaner and a bore brush chucked in a drill wont take care of.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a S&W model 27 that has shot 38 special and 357 mag on and off for over 50 years, and a Model 586 shot the same way for at least 30 years. I have never had a problem with either, but they are cleaned after use/routinely. I imagine if one was to never clean then it could create a problem. Even still, it's nothing carbon cleaner and a bore brush chucked in a drill wont take care of.

I cleaned the gun. You do what you want, now I just make lighter 357 mag loads.

Revolvers are much more difficult to shoot accurately and to shoot multiple shots accurately than a semi-auto. Several well placed 9mm rounds will be much more effective than poorly placed shots or misses with 357 or 44. I lived in Kodiak for 3 years and carried a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum. If I had to do it all over again I'd take my Glock 40. I am FAR better with it than I was the Redhawk, and that is with just one range session with the 10 under my belt. Back country dangers for which you'd need any gun a extraordinarily rare. You are more likely to need one going to the grocery store in many areas.

I'd highly recommend that you find a friend or a range with a revolver you can try. I know people who compete with revolvers and are very good with them. They will acknowledge that they are harder to master than semi-autos. There will be a voice of dissent on this somewhere. Since this is the internet, I wouldn't be surprised it it were right here.

Havoc

FNG
Glock 20SF loaded with Buffalo bore or Underwood ammo. If you’re keen on a revolver, Ruger GP100 or SP101 in .357 mag. If you live in grizz country, I’d consider the Glock 20 or a .44 mag or bigger revolver.

h2so4

WKR
If you must get a revolver, go 357 or 44mag. 4” barrel or less. That 329 3” night guard is amazing, but good luck Finding one. 3” barrel is perfect.
otherwise the answer is 9mm / 45acp /10mm with high quality ammo. Get a Glock and don’t overthink it. That’s a general answer as not much detail was provided

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
If I want to feel reasonably safe in grizz land, 44mag is in my opinion the minimum caliber. Delivery method is a very personal choice. I'd go 329 if I was concerned about weight; Alaskan, a short RH or SRH or 69 Combat if it didn't matter much. I might even be tempted to try a gp100 in 44spc loaded as hot as possible...but I think the 69 combat pretty much covers that ground.

Good luck.

ElPollo

WKR
Love these threads. When someone asks about carrying a handgun in the backcountry, everyone assumes grizzlies and recommends 44 mag up to hand howitzers. Did the OP mention grizzlies? What percentage of the backcountry and wilderness in the US has grizzlies? What if their backcountry is in the Appalachians or Arizona? Do we still need a hand howitzer if we are walking around in Nevada or South Dakota? I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve seen a lot of bears that I probably outweigh. Maybe even without the big iron on the scale. 😁

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
Also i guess what should I look at ? .smith and Wesson looks appealing...ill be Colorado this year but the following year ill be in grizz Country so may wanna look at 44 magnum

Yep, OP mentions grizz and the 44.

As far as the 44 being a hand cannon...I guess that's relative to the hand. They are a real treat to plink with 44spc.

TheGDog

WKR
G29 (but I'd get a G20 if I went somewhere with Grizz) AND... you can throw a weapon light on one!, together with Night-Sights. If you're going to be overnighting in the backcountry... I'd HIGHLY recommend having Night-Sights at least. A regular old revolver with the standard variety iron sights? If you ever feel the need to grab your revolver and poke your head out and look around your tent at night to verify that what you smelled or heard is gone? You will rapidly realize how screwed you'd be if you were trying to aim at all, in the dark, at a threat, with your standard revolver iron sights. And do they even make Night-Sights for Revolvers? I think maybe the Kimber K6 does, but that's about it that I can think of. Nights-Sights though... not Hi-Viz fiber optic. A lot of pistols have those, but those won't help at all in the dark. Those are just like when last-light comes as you get to where you just can't make out your bows sight-pins anymore. So those are no help in the dark.

ETtikka

WKR
If you end up with a 38 or 357 mag , I have some leftover 38+p protection type ammo that is leftover and not needed, pm me if interested

FLATHEAD

WKR
I carried a Ruger Security Six for a looooong time.
Still have it, still carry it some.
Killed a lot of Cottonmouths and Copperheads with it.
But lately have a SW 442, much smaller, lighter.
2 snake shot followed by HP's.
Would love a Kimber K6.