.38 spl snubby

Sw442 with Buffalo Bore 158 +p. Yes it is like slamming your hand in a car door shootin but a nice little drop in pocket gun. Mine literally goes everywhere with me. Finish is looking a little rough but great, simple gun. I removed the internal lock so no surprises. I like the ability to squeeze 5 almost 100% reliable rounds. Anymore than that, I should have brought a carbine. Now grizz country requires the g20 with some hardcast medicine.

dpep

FNG
My dad got me a Kimber K6S 2" .357 for bear protection while hunting/hiking. Its a beautiful gun, Kimber knocked it out of the park. Have had many Kimber haters drool over it. Almost identical in size and weight to a J frame while offering up a 6th round in the cylinder.

The first time shooting 180gr I made it 2 shots and didn't think I was going to be able to finish off the other 4. I'm not a recoil sensitive person, but this isn't a plinker or a range toy. I have practiced more with it, as its intended purpose is life and death but I still won't classify it "pleasant" to shoot.

Kimber recommends not shooting .38 because of the cylinder length, as casings may get stuck. But I've never had a problem and 125gr +p are actually pleasant to shoot.

I've since added night sights. It points great and carries IWB or as a pocket pistol so well I usually choose it over my G43, G19 or Kimber Ultra RCP for EDC. I run Hornady 158gr XTPs for EDC and HSM 180gr Hard Cast FN for woods. Fit/finish on this revolver is so beautiful I feel guilty using it as a woods gun. My dad was shopping for a .44 for himself but fell in love with the Kimber he got for me and purchased his own.

While the black bears are pretty thick in my area I worry more about getting attacked but a moose. I like the idea of a hammerless revolver. If its underwater or pressed against an animals body, so long as theres ammo it will go bang. I like your idea of a small revolver but I don't think I would invest my life in a dedicated .38. A .357 gives you a much broader range of load options.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155011549@N04/

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
I pack a Ruger SP101 2.25" on occasion. With 180gr hardcast it is a wee bit snappy, but manageable. Can't beat it for size weight and it is quite accurate.

My other packing iron in .357 is a first model Colt Trooper 4". Perfect size and weight.

When not being packed by me, the SP101 is my wife's nightstand gun loaded with 125gr .38 +P. The small grip fits her hand perfectly.

Jeremy

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone still carry a little .38 for personal protection in the backcountry?
I have a Super Blackhawk .44, but I don't always feel like strapping 3lb of steel to my chest & i'm only in big bear country for maybe 10 days a year. I tried a Glock 20 & 29 & couldn't get along with either of them & frankly don't want to spend the money trying other semis.
However, I have a little 2", RIA M260 that I shoot really well. It's light, compact & points like a colt SAA.

I'm just a wee bit concerned that .38 isn't really that much use against anything other than folk. I have some 180gn hardcast to play with that i'm pretty sure will up my ante a little. I never expect to run into bears, but I do hang around in a lot of hog country & that's my major worry.

Anyone packing a .38 like to offer up opinions?
FWIW last year in CO for archery elk I carried a Taurus 38 Ultra Lite that was 20.5 oz. (loaded weight). For me it was that vs nothing since we had no concerns about Grizzlies. I liked having it, especially at night. If we had been in Grizzly country, I would have probably thought more about it.