3D Hunting

FlyGuy

WKR
5 pin slider for me. 20-60 fixed and can dial out from there. I'm very happy with it and I don't plan to change anything. In the last year I've taken two animals using the 5 pin site, both were at 60 yards. On the 1st one I never would have had time for a site adjustment; on the second I may have had time, but boy in the heat of the moment it just seems like a lot of opportunity for mistakes.

Anyway, I really only change the dial at the range thus far, which I really like having the option to do. 70 is my max hunting range, though I want to move that out to 80 before september...

Beendare

WKR
I keep it as simple as I can and use a multi pin on my compound. I don't want to be dinking with my sight at the moment of truth. I want all of my concentration on the animal....I don't want to have to divert my attention to adjusting my sight...I want total focus on animals position, body language, possible slots in the brush to shoot through, etc. It only takes a split second to lose your one opportunity.

Now that said, I have a bunch of buddies using sliders. These guys do it mainly for adjusting to very long range shots. If you do go the slider route, I would recommend practicing some shots just off your pin. For example; pin set at 30...but that bull just keeps coming and now he is at 20....you don't want to be adjusting your pin in that situation, IMO.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
5 Pin Hogg Fathers on my two bows with custom pin layouts - green, green, yellow, green, green (my eyes't don't like red pins). .019" except for the bottom two which are 0.010". The only downsides are cost and weight.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using the 7 pin does cover most situations, the biggest drawback to me was how busy those 7 pins got in the housing. Just seemed to be cluttered all the time. I'm very happy with the 4 pin setup and having the option to use the 4th as a slider.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Using the 7 pin does cover most situations, the biggest drawback to me was how busy those 7 pins got in the housing. Just seemed to be cluttered all the time.

I hear that a lot. Maybe I've been using mine so long it's just second nature. I also have my pins spaced out across most the large guard housing so I can see between all the pins, and I always put my middle pin (50) right in the middle of my housing and that's what I sight in for. If I used a hybrid, I would still want at least 5 pins. And with my 532gr arrows, I'm not sure how far out I could even get a slider before hitting it with my vanes. In that regard I'd be better off with my 7 pin head and using my 80 as my sliding pin.

gansettx

FNG
There is no substitute for practice...

It is my opinion that both fixed and slider sights have their place in archery, but outside of competitive shooting (target) there is very little use for a single pin(fixed or slider). Love the idea of a 300"+ Bull screaming at me, adrenaline racing through my veins and having to fumble with a sight adjustment.

Practice shooting enough and you will find that if you have to shoot beyond the distance your fixed pins are set to you can shoot the gap.
Ex. Known distance to target is 80 but my fixed pin only goes to 60...hold 60 on target, look at where 40 pin is...adjust so 60 is now where your 40 was, release...it's magic.

jmez

WKR
It goes both ways.

The idea of a 300+ bull screaming at you, adrenaline racing through your veins then having to hold 60 on target, look at where 40 pin is...adjust so 60 is now where your 40 was, release...it's magic.

elkyinzer

WKR
I just cannot bring myself to trust a slider. I see the benefits for longer shots, but can't commit to it. Shots happen so fast, your mind races, basically on cruise control. I don't want to have to check the slider position before every shot.

elkyinzer

WKR
Using the 7 pin does cover most situations, the biggest drawback to me was how busy those 7 pins got in the housing. Just seemed to be cluttered all the time. I'm very happy with the 4 pin setup and having the option to use the 4th as a slider.

Are you saying there is a sight now where only the bottom pin slides, and the rest are fixed? That solves my issue with them.

Beendare

WKR
It goes both ways.

The idea of a 300+ bull screaming at you, adrenaline racing through your veins then having to hold 60 on target, look at where 40 pin is...adjust so 60 is now where your 40 was, release...it's magic.

Ahh...stacking pins....thats becoming a lost art!

gansettx

FNG
Jmez - Think you missed my first sentence, it becomes second nature. Pin stacking you never look away from the intended target to "slide" to a position.

Elkyinzer - I'm thinking the Black Gold Ascent Verdict is your huckleberry.

Beendare - I've been shooting for 20+ years and it never doesn't amaze those who've never seen it. Physics is physics!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It goes both ways.

Or.......draw, aim with 80 pin dead on the killzone and release without stacking pins.:) The 300+ bull I shot a few years ago was at 59 yards. I went back and forth with him for 45 minutes before I finally saw him. I was estimating range as I was drawing back.......I didn't have much time at all. I estimated 60 and then ranged afterwards at 59.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Beendare - I've been shooting for 20+ years and it never doesn't amaze those who've never seen it. Physics is physics!

Just as long as you understand that the drop between 60 and 80 is greater than the drop between 40 and 60. So stacking can get you closer, but it's still not perfect.

Tilzbow

WKR
Are you saying there is a sight now where only the bottom pin slides, and the rest are fixed? That solves my issue with them.

There was one company that made a sight with floating bottom pin. I think it was G5 and I don't know if they still make the sight. What's being discussed on this thread is multi-pin slider sights in which the entire pin housing slides and you pick one pin (usually the bottom or top) and use that pin as the floater when shooting further than your bottom pin.

Last edited:
OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually if you haven't seen the Option sight that would give you the true versatility of having both, with a clear view. The fixed pins will rotate out of the way leaving just the moveable single pin left to look at.

Beendare

WKR
Just as long as you understand that the drop between 60 and 80 is greater than the drop between 40 and 60. So stacking can get you closer, but it's still not perfect.
True...but if you practice its right on. Thats the way EVERYONE shot those long targets decades ago- stacking.

No doubt a slider is a more accurate system at the long ranges. i have buddies that like to shoot 120yds...and its the only way to go for stuff like that.

True...but if you practice its right on. Thats the way EVERYONE shot those long targets decades ago- stacking.

No doubt a slider is a more accurate system at the long ranges. i have buddies that like to shoot 120yds...and its the only way to go for stuff like that.

A lot of guys still do if they shoot in a class that requires a fixed sight. 20 years ago an 80 yard target was rare, and almost a novelty at 3D courses. Now it's common place.
It's amazing to look in my archery box and look where I started, and what I shoot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an HHA single pin slider in order. Most of my hunting is whitetail hunting. Actually for the next few years all my archery hunting will be whitetail hunting. My game plan is to get it sighted in out to 60-70 yards and just leave the pin on 30. That is most of my shots and if I need it the rare time I can adjust out as needed. Just hold under a bit if the deer is under 30. I'm going to the single slider from just a 3 pin fixed pin sight.