3D Hunting

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
3D/Hunting. Fixed, slider, hybrid?

To slide or not, is it even a question anymore? With the new hybrid sight options, does it make any sense to have a fixed only sight anymore? What are you guys using for bow sights? Where are you mostly hunting? Last year I shot a 4 pin MBG Ascent Verdict. Due to the target panic I didn't shoot a lot of 3D's or any spot shooting. This sight worked great for whitetail deer hunting from the treestand and for elk hunting the mountains of CO and WY.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Started shooting sliders in 2014. (Black Gold Ascent). Can't imagine giving up the option to slide although my 20,40,60 fixed pins on it get the most action. Looking forward to hearing the discussion on this thread about this topic. Thanks for bringing it up Les.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the elk widows I limit my yardage to 70 yards. I have a fixed 5 pin spot hogg that is set 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. The bubble is actually 80. I guess I sacrifice a 100 yard follow up for the ease and simplicity of the 5 pin. I range and shoot vs. range/dial/shoot. Sure the hybrid eliminates some of the need to dial.

Just my take.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot an hha single pin slider but I'm with you on the hybrids being a better option and will likely make the switch soon. Single pins work great from a stand but I think I'd like some more for the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
I run a 5 pin slider. 20-60 for my pins. Covers the ranges I want to shoot while hunting but gives me options for shooting at the range or a longer follow up. Can't imagine going back to fixed pins only.

lintond

WKR
I've used a 5 pin fixed, single pin, and three pin slider. I really like the three pin slider. 30-40-50

I used to used a 7-8 pin fixed head to get enough distance for practice. Switched to a fixed pin slider 4 years ago and will not be going back. I am now shooting 3 fixed pins with the first being about 27 then 40 and 50. Longer distances than that require some extra time no matter what situation you are in or at least for me I really shouldn't be shooting so I don't mind dialing over 50. The advantages of practice out to 120 and a very open sight picture are very big advantages and I shoot much better this way.

I started w/5 fixed, went to 5 pin slider, then a single pin slider and I just ordered a MBG 4 pin Ascent Verdict for my new bow. I love the single pins, and think that if I spent more time getting familiar with the trick pin system, could have been deadly. That being said I do have to work for a living, the 4 pin slider from MBG I think is a winner for me....20 30 40 50 outside of 50 I'd want to dial it to a specific mark anyways.

jmez

WKR
Same as most here with a slider. I switched to them about 5 years ago and won't be going back. I shoot a 5 pin head. 20-60 fixed can slide anywhere from 20-100. Pin clutter has never been an issue for me. I was using an 8 pin fixed prior to the slider. I shoot most every day and I don't even have to think about or count pins for different yardages.

Used a CBE Tek Hybrid for the past 5 years and bought an Axcel Accutouch this winter. The CBE treated me well. Only thing I didn't like on the sight was the individual pin adjustment. I don't like the pins that adjust with an allen screw in the first place. They are tucked in pretty tight behind the housing and the bottom pin is very hard to adjust and get tight.

So far I like the Axcel, IMO the best sights made. Haven't done much with it other than set up the fixed pins. I took the accuclicks off of it. Pretty much a marketing gimmick that really just defeats the purpose of a slider.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Used to have a fixed 5 pin, but just ordered a Black Gold Ascent 3 pin slider. I'm hoping to avoid clutter as much as possible by going with the 3 pin, and love the idea of being able to dial in beyond 50 yards where I likely won't be doing a quick shot anyway.

I'm shooting one of the Option sights. For hunting it really doesn't gain me anything as a 5 pin covers all my hunting needs or wants, for target shooting I love having the ability to dial those long shots.

jmez

WKR
I'm shooting one of the Option sights. For hunting it really doesn't gain me anything as a 5 pin covers all my hunting needs or wants, for target shooting I love having the ability to dial those long shots.

That is my primary reason for running a 5 pin slider as well. I don't shoot over 60 yards at game but do like to practice at 100.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This spring I've also put a ton of arrows through the MRT Fast Eddie from Spot Hogg, as well as the same in the Tommy Hogg. It's been a lot of fun to see and tweak minute changes with different arrow/field tip/broadhead combinations while testing these new sights.

Vandal 44

WKR
I like the Hybrid sights. I have a five pen MBG Assent Slider on one bow and the Option 5 with the 6th pin as the slider. When practicing long distance its nice to slide the sight, however for hunting I like the fixed pins there is less movement on my part and there is no guessing if I moved the slider or not.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm not understanding the term "hybrid". Is that just a slider with multiple fixed pins?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I'm not understanding the term "hybrid". Is that just a slider with multiple fixed pins?

Yes. It'll have 1 pin as your floater that you use to dial yardage and several others to use as a fixed pin sight for speed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been running Spot Hogg 7-pin Hunters for almost 10 years now........love them. Super tough (which is one of my highest priorities), and easy to set up and use. I can easily shoot out to 100 with this setup at any given time and never have to wonder if I reset the slider. I'd say that probably 90% of my shooting throughout the year is from 40-100 and I've never seen a need to change this sight up.

Now, if I had a yard big enough to get to 150+ yards.......I'd probably have a dedicated LR rig with a slider. Otherwise, I don't need it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thanks William. That's what I have. Just didn't remember it being called hybrid. Alzheimer's already setting in.