3D Target Recommendations

King68

FNG
Hey folks,

Setting up an archery range in my backyard with the max range at 45 yards. Looking for some recommendations on your preferred 3D target. I'm shooting a Prime Logic. Any input would be appreciated!

I like the delta McKenzie line of targets. The rhineharts are nice as well. I'd have more of the rhineharts if I could have gotten them for the same price. Have a McKenzie elk from 2007 I'm still shooting. A few of us put money together to get it. Think it was around $700 at the time. Bought a second one a few years ago. It was a good bit more, but when I get 10 years + out of them I'm ok with it. I really like shooting something that's similar in size to what I'm hunting.

nphunter

WKR
Any 3D will get shot out really fast if that's your only target. Honestly, the only target that I feel like has held up decent for me is my Reinhart 18:1 block, I rotate it constantly and shoot it on all sides and store it indoors. I have had dozens of targets over the years and a half dozen 3D targets from, Delta, Rinehart, and field logic and our newest is a shooter buck. They all get shot out, there are 4 of us shooting in my house though and we shoot a lot of arrows.

I recently purchased 3 bowhunter targets from archery targets and they are 40x30" hopefully they hold up as well as they say. I think the most important thing is having multiple targets to shoot. I've also gone through a half dozen bag targets as well, they get shot out too almost as fast it seems like. I would love to have an elk or caribou target, I think they would last a lot longer, the problem with the deer and smaller targets is the arrows go all the way through and each time they do they push small pieces out the back with them and eventually make holes in the target, a big target that didn't let the arrow pass through would help a lot.

https://www.archerytargets.com/bowhunter-deadstop-2

Ben Allen

FNG
Anything from rinehart. I have their pig target for a smaller target and then their mule deer target. Unbelievable durability.

stonewall

WKR
I like rinehart. Also the blackout targets on bass bro are made by rinehart I think. I have the woodland boar. Woodland deer. And blackout bear. The body is the cheaper foam. The inserts are the nicer stuff. Leg holes are the same on all 3 so I leave stakes in the yard in different spots and can set up and take done any of the three

Wapiti7

FNG
I had a printing client that owed me money, so i gave him this pic and rough dimensions of elk size (so it's pretty close to life size) and he made me up a number of these. The ends are folded over for pvc (schedule 40)to slide in. Put a big bag target behind it. I'm sure I ran thousands of arrows through the last one. Works pretty slick.

Attachments

• Pic of Elk Target.jpg
    Pic of Elk Target.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 95

Northpark

WKR
I had a printing client that owed me money, so i gave him this pic and rough dimensions of elk size (so it's pretty close to life size) and he made me up a number of these. The ends are folded over for pvc (schedule 40)to slide in. Put a big bag target behind it. I'm sure I ran thousands of arrows through the last one. Works pretty slick.

Any idea on how much something like that would cost? I keep thinking I want a 3D or two or three. This might be an option for me.

OP
King68

King68

FNG

That's pretty cool. I plan on stacking haybales behind my target, so that could work. Yeah, any idea what that would cost, without the threat of breaking thumbs?

I've also gone through a half dozen bag targets as well, they get shot out too almost as fast it seems like.

What bag targets are you using? I have some morrel outdoor range targets that get wore down but once the outside is tore up I just put in a new bag. Think it's $40 for the outer bag and I have a new target. Might be something to consider.

paxamus

WKR
I have the broadhead buck and 1/3 elk from Rhinehart. Subscribe to Camofire and they are on sale frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
My bowhunter targets showed up today. Got my range set up with 20-100 and a pin for 30-110 also. Hopefully they hold up like advertised, I’m going to buy some cheap BBQ covers to keep the sun off. They are suppose to be good for field tips and Broadheads. Pretty happy with the way they worked out and the size, the 80cm face will be nice for long shots too. The targets come with steel stands on each end, my field is sloped so I stuck the back of the legs in the ground to keep them level and they feel pretty solid.

61A913E4-B34D-4DAA-A6E8-C7E7BD4B8961.jpeg
F31D5E8A-FB2C-4797-A107-66A83BFB36C6.jpeg
0BEA34EC-F856-47A5-80BD-55A38FD83212.jpeg

nphunter

WKR
What bag targets are you using? I have some morrel outdoor range targets that get wore down but once the outside is tore up I just put in a new bag. Think it's $40 for the outer bag and I have a new target. Might be something to consider.

A couple cheaper ones and a couple different morrell ones, a super duper I think and my current one is a delta speed bag knockout, They still work but if you shoot the same spot a lot they get holes and my arrows go in past the fletchings. I mostly aim for the edges now, they are great for my kids though and that’s what I have setup at 100 since it’s a big target. I can’t see the dots at 100 so I am for the center which is why it gets shot out.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I have a shooter 3D buck and I’m on back number 4 in the past 8 months. When my son and nephew shoot it along with me they don’t last too long. I’m hoping for a McKenzie in the
Near future

A couple cheaper ones and a couple different morrell ones, a super duper I think and my current one is a delta speed bag knockout, They still work but if you shoot the same spot a lot they get holes and my arrows go in past the fletchings. I mostly aim for the edges now, they are great for my kids though and that’s what I have setup at 100 since it’s a big target. I can’t see the dots at 100 so I am for the center which is why it gets shot out.

I haven't ever shot anything but the outdoor range targets (for a bag), I have gotten them to where the centers are getting arrows to the fletching or further but if I flip them around some and beat on it a bit seems to fix it. Might be my imagination but when they hang they seem to last longer than when they sit on something. Close range I shoot the edges, save the center for distance. Just curious what you were using, glad I went with the big one from the jump. I used to figure a target as a yearly cost, but i have been rotating targets to an extent that I'm pretty pleased overall. Really don't shoot many broadheads except to tune or to check my tune. I have had my broadhead target for 4 years now, it's pretty much done, lots of shots through it tho. Bag target for a practice target and 3d targets throuh the summer getting ready for hunting.

Did get a new range target this year, really happy with it. 4x4 block. I'm treating it the same as my bags. Shoot the outside close, center at distance.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
I have the broadhead buck and 1/3 elk from Rhinehart. Subscribe to Camofire and they are on sale frequently.

Cabela’s has the 1/3 elk Rhinehart for $179, how is the size, not too small? How does the self healing material hold up?

paxamus

WKR

The size is about that of a small doe or a big dog (Rottweiler size). It makes you really focus on your shots though. The insert is nice and heals well, although I haven’t shot it with any Broadheads yet

paxamus

WKR

The size is about that of a small doe or a big dog (Rottweiler size). It makes you really focus on your shots though. The insert is nice and heals well, although I haven’t shot it with any Broadheads yet

OP
King68

King68

FNG
Thanks for all the input folks. I decided on the Delta McKenzie Big Daddy Buck backyard 3D target. I am a veteran and they gave me a sweet discount. If you are a vet, send them a message and they will hook you up. Thanks again!

MTmt

FNG
I know this is an old thread, and this may be common knowledge. But I tried a GlenDel Buck and IMHO it’s trash. Better off with a block target.