3lbs 4oz Rifle.

J Batt

WKR
Just finished screwing together my new hunting rig in 6.5 grendel. Gonna be a bolt action AR. No gas system.
3 lbs 4oz unfurnished.
4 lbs 8oz with a SWFA Ultralight scope, aero mount, and 8 cartridges in a 10rd mag.
I hacked some parts up in my caveman fashion to fit my needs.
Milled a slick side upper into a side charging upper. Modified an aluminum bolt carrier to receive a side charging knob. Made a hand guard out of carbon fiber tube. Drilled out a titanium 223 brake to clear a 6.5 bullet, Etc…
Might paint it…
I’m pretty proud and excited to carry it, or more like excited to not carry my other, 3lbs heavier rifle. Wasn’t going to post but couldn’t help myself. It’s my favorite gun of all time, don’t even care how accurate it is. Perfect rifle for my kids to start deer hunting on as well.

The parts list is long and sourced from a hundred different websites.
But I’ll list most.
Xcaliber spaghetti profile 16” barrel.
Aero slick upper
DSA aluminum low mass bcg
Vseven titanium micro brake
Polymer LPK
FMK polymer lower
Smoke Composite stock assembly
Hogue 15degree grip
Any steel part that could be were swapped for titanium or carbon fiber.673D5D9D-4D11-4F41-BEBE-8FFEA79D8A4B.jpeg

Last edited:

feanor

WKR
That’s bad to the bone. Love that you put it all together from everywhere. Hope it shoots well for you. What was the approximate cost?

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
That’s bad to the bone. Love that you put it all together from everywhere. Hope it shoots well for you. What was the approximate cost?

What do you think this setup cost you?

I'm pretty certain I spent around 1K (not including optic). Sorry for lack of detail, but I've been building it for a few months now and have forgotten allot of info.
I did spend a little extra here and there for stuff like "Cryo" treatment. XCaliber barrels aren't cheap but the only 6.5 pencil barrels I could find. Some of the lightest stuff is the cheapest, like the hogue grip and DIY hand guard But others get you like the stock and barrel.

Good job, you could also skeltionize the mag well, also they make a titanium skelton grip.
I tried drilling out a mag, hahahah. it went horribly and just bent the crap out of it. would have only been a half oz. And the Hogue 15deg grip is lighter than any metal ones I could find, its just super thin polymer but feels really nice in the hand, allot better in the cold too... I think its 1oz.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome build. Makes me want to do one of my own. Very jealous.

Hope you take something awesome with it!

slick

WKR
What would a 5 round magazine save you as far as weight? Another couple ounces?

Sheep guys, take note! It’ll be interesting to see what kind of accuracy you’re able to get out of it at 1-2-3 hundred yards.

Just don’t tell Form that you didn’t do a 10 shot string for speed 😉

Batt not the magaine but the magazine well where the mag goes. I have seen rifles with this done to them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Put one of those 26g 3D printed titanium grips on it.. may as well

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
62265613.jpg

I have 6.5 Grendel AR with a 16” barrel. I lose a little to the gas system, but I wouldn’t expect too much over a bolt gun. I get just less than 2500fps with a 123.
6mm may have been a better mousetrap.

That rifles slick for sure. Would be great for a predator rifle to carry when scouting, shed hunting, ect…Or really steep and deep deer hunting.

I find for my kids it’s better to have a heavy rifle to mellow out the shakes and be more forgiving of bad form. Tripods are great as well.