3rd rifle/unit 19 Colorado: What to expect?

LowLand

FNG
Assuming I get drawn, what can I expect in this unit? I'm not asking where to be at what time to kill an elk. Just a general idea of terrain and typical elk habits during that time. This will be my 1st elk hunt and I would like to be as prepared as possible. I have been studying GE and topos to get somewhat of an idea but hoped someone with first hand could enlighten me some.
Thanks

Where in Unit 19 are you looking to hunt? There are elevations from 7000' to 12000'. Unit 19 holds a good number of elk, but it gets hit hard by hunters from Loveland and Fort Collins. However it does butt up against RMNP via Comanche Wilderness. Extremely beautiful country and chocked full of lazy hunters! If you get 1 or 2 miles from the road, in most cases you may not see anyone until you come out.

Last edited:
OP
L

LowLand

FNG
We will be going with a guy from Ft. Collins that was in the Coast Guard with my brother. From talking to him, we will be in the Crown pt road and Pingree area. I hope to be in place by sun up and away from as many folks as possible. Just wasn't sure how possible that would be. We will be camping off Crown Point road.

bbrown

WKR
After speaking with the local game warden a couple weekends ago - the Crown Point road will likely be closed again this fall due to logging operations. That area is very popular and I would still expect quite a few guys on horse back but you may be able to use that closure to your benefit if you are willing to put in the leg work. With the Crown Point Road being closed I would expect the Pingree road to be even more of a zoo than usual.

Unit 19 is a big unit with a fairly low elk population that typically hole up in pockets - look for the hard to reach places that others look past or don't want to go.

I was hoping Crown Pointe would not be closed again this year. You can still get to Crowne Point from the east side, if you really want in there.

Pingree park hosts the most trash filled campsites I've ever seen. I've never been in there in the fall though I've found a sew elk skeletons around there.

All of the info you have gotten so far is solid. Finding a campsite may even be a challenge depending on the crowds.

Don't expect to call elk in. Don't cow call every third step to "cover your human noise" (exactly why I was told a guy was cow calling like a friggin' seagull fight). Be silent, put in the boot leather, and look at the transition zones, especially around new re-growth. You have a puncher's chance.

Hope for snow and cold temps. Lots of it.
And bring tire chains

What he said. I was in there 2 years ago 2nd Rifle and the radio station started calling for 8''-12'' around that area. It was a constant flow of vehicles all night long. I saw more fresh sign that day, then the previous 3 days combined.

OP
L

LowLand

FNG
Definitely gonna get some chains. My plan is to hopefully be where I want to be or close to it by sun up and plan on staying in until dark if I can take it.

ericF

WKR
I can't specifically speak to the hunting in that area, but overall there are not a lot of elk in 19, but there are some and the hard part is finding where they've gone. As to weather, we have had two abnormally warm winters the last two years and I believe it was in the 60's and maybe even 70's around that time last year, but it can also be 2 feet of snow up in that area. Like others have said, be prepared to cover some ground to find where the elk are.