3rd Row SUV Experiences

OP
beerbucksducks
Good info, thanks! Definitely leaning towards a full size suv. Just need to decide if we are keeping the truck or the CRV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove trucks until buying an Expedition in my 30s. Only Expeditions since. Just fits my lifestyle better. I don't haul much stuff. I have a trailer when needed. The EXP has a bathtub liner in back, so hauling bloody deer isn't a problem.

I love being able to camp in the back. Love the secure locks while out hiking or surfing. Love popping up the 3rd seat for bachelor party or football game family taxi service, etc., even if rarely needed.

I ride dirt bikes and have added a front hitch receiver to carry a 2nd dirt bike or mountain bike, Warne OEM receiver winch, and an ARB locking rear end. Locking rear end is without question the best mod I've done.

20231103_092307.jpg
20230327_151911.jpg
Screenshot_20231126_073634_Gallery.jpg

I would also add - if using the 3rd row often - captains chairs in the 2nd row make a big difference…
Good advice. My wife insisted on captains chairs in the 2nd row when we were shopping for a family vehicle. I was a little annoyed by her insistence at the time, but she was right. We currently have our older kids riding in car seats in the 3rd row, and the 2nd row captains chairs make it much easier for us to access the 3rd row to get them buckled/unbuckled.

Little known pro tip: You can remove the middle seat from a late model Expedition to convert the 2nd row from a bench to captains chairs. The 2nd row seats are all independent and the middle one is easily taken out by removing 4 bolts. If you then get a floor mat cut for the captains chairs configuration, you can't tell the middle seat was ever there.

crich

WKR
Get the largest SUV the Mrs is comfortable driving. Even with captain chairs and the 3rd row in our Subaru ascent (ford explorer size-ish), 2 toddlers in car seats makes it a bitch to use the 3rd row. We like to be able hand the kids things while driving so sticking them in the back is a no go. I can honestly say we both cant wait to get a mini van. More room for activities like diaper changes, giving them snacks while out and about, running in out of the weather/cold quickly plus more room for gear to go hikes or whatever.

Cheesy

FNG
Tell me this, has anyone sold their half ton pick up and bought a suburban? I don’t commute for work, so my pickup sits until I need it for hunting, fishing or kid hauling. My wife commutes for work, so my current thought is trade the pick up for suburban/expedition max and keep the CRV as a commuter/everyday car. Bad idea for our dedicated hunting vehicle to be a large suv that doubles as our road trip machine?

I don't know if you do any bird hunting, but here is the reason you don't bird hunt out of an SUV...

3 years in a row, 12 hours from home. Sure, Dawn dishsoap, a bottle of peroxide, and some baking soda help a lot, but they don't fully fix the problem.... :)
e3iOIjj.jpg

I didn't read all the comments, so I may be duplicating.

If you want room for more than 2 small kids (and dogs and cargo), there is no substitution for a minivan! They are the best and they are designed for that purpose and you will quickly get over your fears of what your friends and neighbors think of it. Hands down, no comparison. I had several friends who said they would never drive one, but after seeing ours and others in action, they went and bought one too.

We had a Honda Odyssey for 8 years and often wish I had it back. When the kids were older and we were certain we weren't having a 3rd, we traded the van for a Hyundai Pallisade in 2020. It had the best features and room and fuel mileage compromise for the money when we were researching at that time. I'm a big fan of Toyota and wanted a Highlander, but the back seat in the Highlander is so small, that it's almost unusable for anyone over the age of 4-5. The new Grand Highlander may be worth a look but I haven't seen one in person yet.

OP
beerbucksducks
I don't know if you do any bird hunting, but here is the reason you don't bird hunt out of an SUV...

3 years in a row, 12 hours from home. Sure, Dawn dishsoap, a bottle of peroxide, and some baking soda help a lot, but they don't fully fix the problem.... :)
e3iOIjj.jpg

That’s a good selling point to get a canopy instead of a suburban ha!

Wife has a Subaru Ascent. Bench seat in the instead of captains chairs because our kids are still in car seats and we want the infant in the middle seat. We don't need the 3rd seat right now but we wanted the extra cargo space.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
We had an Acadia and now own a Highlander. Kids, travel baseball, dog, etc… IMO the Highlander with second row bucket seats is the way to go. Easier access to the third row. Third row bench folds flat in two sections so you can have 1,2 or 3 people in the third row and maximize storage room. Comfortable seating for 7 people if you need it. Drives nice on highway and city.

picking up a Subaru Ascent tomorrow. My wife sat in the 3rd row on a short trip and she's 5'9" . the captains chairs (7 seat model) can move forward to give more 3rd row room.

eltx

Lil-Rokslider
We went with an Atlas last week. Ascent was a close second but the 6k maintenance intervals were a big con for me.

picking up a Subaru Ascent tomorrow. My wife sat in the 3rd row on a short trip and she's 5'9" . the captains chairs (7 seat model) can move forward to give more 3rd row room.
We have had one for a year and a half now. We have taken a few trips in it and we love it. Great vehicle so far.

Wrench

WKR
I'm going to rock my 2000 7.3 excursion till my kids won't go with us anymore. It's a bit bigger than the yukon xl, but similar enough for comparison.

I've taken 7 of us on trips all over the country dragging a arctic fox (heavy) trailer and a billion tent camping trips. We have never not had a dog, so there's always been a Drahthaar and kennel inside along with all of our gear. It takes some heavy packers to need a roof topper.

If you choose a rig in this class they can be harder to park in metro areas and parking garages. Ours sits on 35's with a lift so garages are out....but it's doable on stock height.

We also have a 80 series cruiser on 35s with the 3rd row option. If we're going day tripping it's enough for 6....but 3 wide sucks.....and luggage space is gone and a kennel would have to be on the hitch or roof.