3rd season Colorado advice

Have a 3rd season Colorado tag in my pocket for unit 35. This will not only be my first trip to the unit and to Colorado but my 1st trip leaving Idaho. Anyone have any free advice they’re willing to share? Anything that will help a guy have a decent first experience will be appreciated. Stuff that’s on my mind right now affordable lodging options and or best places to camp, take an atv/utv or not, How to avoid crowds if that’s possible/areas with less elk? What to do if the weather doesn’t cooperate? Thanks in advance if anyone can help

jwb92868

Lil-Rokslider
Best advice, walk as far away from a road as possible. Hunt hard, never give up and glass hard. That’s a very good season. Definitely will see bigger deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
If a atv will get you closer to a point you feel like hiking from take it. Lodging could get a little dicey this time of the year. I booked my place in jan and it was one of two places left.

Take a short trip to the unit between now and season. At all cost itll help shorten the learning curve of knowing where you can and cant go and or access problems.

Be my first year as well. Good luck

Takem

WKR
I hunted a new unit 3rd season last year on a leftover tag. I ended up getting an AirBNB in a small town in the unit that was close to where I was going to be focusing. I brought my quad just in case and it ended up coming in handy as I was able to pack my animal over to a quad trail and come get it with the quad. As far as the hunting the warden in the area gave me some information on where most of the deer during the season. My focus for the fist couple of days was to find a spot or two that that wasn't getting bothered and held some deer. Once I found a spot I just kept going back. A decent buck showed up Wednesday morning and I was done. Things can change daily in that season and If it works in your schedule be there for the end of the season.

Find the does and you’ll find the bucks. 3rd season is basically the transition period from prerut to rut most years. Glassing areas where deer frequent have helped me and a buddy fill 6 buck tags in three years. They have all been on 2nd choice tags. It shouldn’t be difficult if you are looking for a meat buck. Know your weapon.

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Find the does and you’ll find the bucks. 3rd season is basically the transition period from prerut to rut most years. Glassing areas where deer frequent have helped me and a buddy fill 6 buck tags in three years. They have all been on 2nd choice tags. It shouldn’t be difficult if you are looking for a meat buck. Know your weapon.

The problem for us new guys is figuring that out. Ive made one trip and found areas with tons of old deer shit etc. But its in the wide open and i know its not from a hunting time period. I just hope to run into some does. And like you said pattern the does a buck will eventually show up.

OP
buckshot516
I live in Gypsum (on the boundary between 35 and 44) and spend tons of time in both. Be ready for weather!! Feel free to PM me if I can help with something.

If I could figure out how to pm I would. I’m curious about 361...
Thank you for all the replies so far gents. This all helps

That should be a good unit. Ive never been to Colorado mule deer hunting but my family members have. My uncle drew the 4th season unit 66 so we will be heading over there also. best of luck to you and post some pics when you get him!!

MA18

FNG
Hunted it last year 2nd season. Lots of people but lots of deer, just couldn't turn up any good bucks. Everyone was glassing from the road and when we got into places further away we saw more deer. Found a big herd on the last day with a few decent bucks just didn't have enough time left to get to them. PM if you want more info

OP
buckshot516
Best advice, walk as far away from a road as possible. Hunt hard, never give up and glass hard. That’s a very good season. Definitely will see bigger deer.

I hope your right about seeing bigger deer. I don’t need a monster by any means but I’d like a respectable 170+ buck. November will be here before we know it

OP
buckshot516
If a atv will get you closer to a point you feel like hiking from take it. Lodging could get a little dicey this time of the year. I booked my place in jan and it was one of two places left.

Take a short trip to the unit between now and season. At all cost itll help shorten the learning curve of knowing where you can and cant go and or access problems.

Be my first year as well. Good luck

I’m trying to find a way to get there this summer but it isn’t looking good. Hopefully I get lucky and find country I want to focus on the 1st couple days so I’m dialed in somewhat by the end of the season. This lodging thing is pretty dicey. Can’t find much for under $100 a night. Might be camping I guess. Thanks for the reply

OP
buckshot516
I hunted a new unit 3rd season last year on a leftover tag. I ended up getting an AirBNB in a small town in the unit that was close to where I was going to be focusing. I brought my quad just in case and it ended up coming in handy as I was able to pack my animal over to a quad trail and come get it with the quad. As far as the hunting the warden in the area gave me some information on where most of the deer during the season. My focus for the fist couple of days was to find a spot or two that that wasn't getting bothered and held some deer. Once I found a spot I just kept going back. A decent buck showed up Wednesday morning and I was done. Things can change daily in that season and If it works in your schedule be there for the end of the season.

Thanks for the reply. It helps a bunch

OP
buckshot516

You guys are killing it over there. That’s impressive!

mcseal2

WKR
I’m trying to find a way to get there this summer but it isn’t looking good. Hopefully I get lucky and find country I want to focus on the 1st couple days so I’m dialed in somewhat by the end of the season. This lodging thing is pretty dicey. Can’t find much for under $100 a night. Might be camping I guess. Thanks for the reply

When we used to stay in town it wasn't worth it to us. We were out of the hotel way before daylight and back to town way after every eating place closed for the night. We were spending a lot of money for a shower basically and losing 2-4 hours of potential sleep time driving each day. Camping near where we hunt and moving camp if necessary has been way better for us. We paid for our cots and 8 man tipi with a stove pretty quick in hotel savings. I also seem to find game on land I can hunt in the opposite corner of the unit from bigger civilization. Hunting those areas from town makes for a long drive morning and night.

I did a lot of crock pot cooking in hotels though. I'd put 2lbs of burger in the crock pot overnight and cook it on low. The next morning I'd go out in the grass and drain the grease. Then I'd add my ingredients for chili, spaghetti sauce, stew, whatever. When we got back late that night most or all the meal was ready so we could eat and get to sleep. It gained us a little sleep time.