3rd season Colorado unit 22 is fun/interesting/challenging.... and still going on.

So a few weeks ago I posted about how sick I had gotten right after my archery hunt....well two days before I left for my third season hunt in which I drew a unit 22 deer tag I found out why I was so sick. Turns out when I get home I get to start battling lymphoma.
I told the docs to put everything on hold....I was going hunting. My dad and I don’t have a lot of big game hunts together left. His knee is pretty much trashed and he is 70 years old. So between the two of us we are kind of limited to within a few hundred yards of the truck. We are still seeing deer. Passed up a decent 4x4 on opening day that I will probably regret but we got snow today and I expect tomorrow should be some fun hunting. I am so glad I did not cancel the hunt. My dad and I are having a good time. He will probably shoot a decent meat buck tomorrow with his trusty 300 savage. Some time in the next day or two I will probably do the same. When i planned this trip it was about chasing a trophy. I wanted to look for a 30 inch buck. Turns out time with my dad is worth more than any buck. I have said it before... cherish all the time you can with you friends and family in the woods. Our trips around the sun have a finite number. I lost my son a couple years ago to leukemia and now I get to battle a blood cancer myself. I cannot believe my family has to go through this again but we will win.. I will survive and I will take my 17 year old son on hundreds more trips. Don’t let anything get in between you and those moments. You will regret it if you do.
My dad and I are gonna kill some big ole bucks in the next couple days. They may add up to 30 inches together but they will be the best trophy’s a guy could ask for.
Sorry it i sound preachy. Kind of having a moment right now and I just wanted to put it out there

Stay safe everyone, Hunt hard and hunt often, love your family and friends cherish every moment.

805de64b873c387eadd96bf20212ba12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbyboe

WKR
Thank you for sharing. Good luck on your hunt and with your battle. Posts like yours make us realize how special every trip outdoors is.

Wack em and stack em. And then get on with the business. You got a tough row to hoe in front of you- its going to take a lot of bites to eat that particular elephant. Keep your head in the right place.

FlyGuy

WKR
Boy, that sure puts things into perspective. True grit right there. Love that you shared this. Get after 'em. Please consider keeping this thread going - thru your hunt and beyond. You are going to have a lot of us in your corner.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

aaro9991

FNG
Post some pictures of the hunt and keep us updated! Prayers for you and your family.

Takem

WKR
It has been a good morning...getting it done with the 99

7d94931df1f9a0ad1d0b50a93a69ca76.jpg

That's great! Congratulations to both of you. I read your original post before I headed out for my morning hunt in Southern Co. It got me thinking of my dad, who we lost way to young, and some of his hunts after he slowed down. He killed some good bucks during those years being posted up close to a road while my brothers and I were off working our butts off. I was thinking your dad would get a good one and I'm glad it worked out.

Good luck with your health. Sounds like you have the right attitude to beat it.

Phaseolus

WKR
Huntingdog45. If you need help of any kind call 970-462-2564. I live about 1.5 hours away from 22 and would happy to show up to help pack out an animal or do anything you need. Cheers,

Fred Judson

OP
Huntindog45
Huntingdog45. If you need help of any kind call 970-462-2564. I live about 1.5 hours away from 22 and would happy to show up to help pack out an animal or do anything you need. Cheers,

Fred Judson

Thank you much. Think we are pretty dialed at this point. Saw a few more today and will probably shoot the next legal buck I see tomorrow... within reason of course.. no dinky forkies :)

Then we will head home and start to conquer!

Appreciate the offer very much!

elkduds

WKR
Thanks for the posts, inspirational! Continued success to you both on the hunt and after. Early snow up high this year is making for a very good 3rd season, I bet 4th will be even awesome-er.

Bonus points for the model 99, old school cool.

Savage99

WKR
Thanks for the posts, inspirational! Continued success to you both on the hunt and after. Early snow up high this year is making for a very good 3rd season, I bet 4th will be even awesome-er.

Bonus points for the model 99, old school cool.

Man, you know I approve of the rifle! Dad and I are going out on first big game hunt together in 4th. 66 years old with the same knees. I’m going to treasure every moment.

OP
Huntindog45
Man, you know I approve of the rifle! Dad and I are going out on first big game hunt together in 4th. 66 years old with the same knees. I’m going to treasure every moment.

Love the username!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations. Awesome memories to help carry you though the times ahead. Good luck and Kick cancer ass

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Huntindog45
Holy crap... got home late last night and wake up to this. My hometown is burning to the ground. My house is safe. My brother likely lost everything.
4ca27ac6cb6d233a933dd8e96a7df95f.jpg

elkduds

WKR
Wow. Your ups and downs remind me of this story.
There is a Chinese Parable that goes something like this…
‘A farmer and his son had a beloved stallion who helped the family earn a living. One day, the horse ran away and their neighbors exclaimed, “Your horse ran away, what terrible luck!”. The farmer replied, ‘Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see’.
A few days later, the horse returned home, leading a few wild mares back to the farm as well. The neighbors shouted out, “Your horse has returned, and brought several horses home with him. What great luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”
Later that week, the farmer’s son was trying to break one of the mares and she threw him to the ground, breaking his leg. The villagers cried, “Your son broke his leg, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”
A few weeks later, soldiers from the national army marched through town, recruiting all the able-bodied boys for the army. They did not take the farmer’s son, still recovering from his injury. Friends shouted, “Your boy is spared, what tremendous luck!” To which the farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

I know that model 99 has seen a bushel of "maybe so, maybe not" scenarios. And it just keeps on hunting.

Prayer sent for your safety and healing.