3rd Season Mule Deer. Come drink my beer!

Huntin_GI

WKR
Well after 75 tries, I managed to get a third season mule deer tag through the leftover list. Getting anything through that list made me as proud as my first elk.

I’ll be hunting GMU 34 and expect to hunt the whole season but was wondering if any other schmucks out there wanted to have a base camp together. I’ll be solo and I’m not familiar with the area but live in CO and will be putting together a hunt plan (all be it rushed) over the next few weeks.

This is my first foray into mule deer which I seem to stay covered up with every time I go into the woods which probably means now that I have a tag, I will never see another mule deer for as long as I live.

Either way, I have a and will probably base camp lower and hunt higher in the frigid snow country as that’s what I think @robby denning would do to find big massive bucks. After I grow tired of the cold, I will then complain, go hunt lower, kill a dink, and wallow in self pity for the next 11 months because I didn’t hold out for a better deer.

Anyways, if you wanna drink some beer, I’ll probably have a few of those as well. Let’s make a plan.

Below is a track picture from my elk this year. Gotta love the suffer.

Attachments

• E5CA3341-1F62-488B-A1D7-F43DF041CDF4.jpeg
    E5CA3341-1F62-488B-A1D7-F43DF041CDF4.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 250

Jroyce3

FNG
Well after 75 tries, I managed to get a third season mule deer tag through the leftover list. Getting anything through that list made me as proud as my first elk.

I’ll be hunting GMU 34 and expect to hunt the whole season but was wondering if any other schmucks out there wanted to have a base camp together. I’ll be solo and I’m not familiar with the area but live in CO and will be putting together a hunt plan (all be it rushed) over the next few weeks.

This is my first foray into mule deer which I seem to stay covered up with every time I go into the woods which probably means now that I have a tag, I will never see another mule deer for as long as I live.

Either way, I have a and will probably base camp lower and hunt higher in the frigid snow country as that’s what I think @robby denning would do to find big massive bucks. After I grow tired of the cold, I will then complain, go hunt lower, kill a dink, and wallow in self pity for the next 11 months because I didn’t hold out for a better deer.

Anyways, if you wanna drink some beer, I’ll probably have a few of those as well. Let’s make a plan.

Below is a track picture from my elk this year. Gotta love the suffer.
Seems about right. Buck fever kicks in and down goes the 2pt.

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
Well did you find a partner and have a good trip Huntin GI? Similar to you my first Muley tag drawn for Colorado was this year in 34 for 2nd season as a leftover. I went and scouted back in August and kind of like you said I found more elk than deer go figure. Have elk hunted the San Juan and Alamosa area last couple of years but really liked the looks of 34.

Before the attacks start please don’t share details unless you want to PM. Really just curious if you had a good time and a successful trip. I leave this Thursday so if you reply back afterwards I will let you know how it went when I get back.

To all those headed out later this week hunt hard, squeeze easy, be safe and thank the good Lord for the opportunity to make a memory!