3rd season rifle newb

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I've got zero points for Colorado deer. Never hunted out of my state of Kansas. Due to my work schedule 3rd season is what it'll have to be.

Any recommendations for truck style/base camp unit reccomendations. Not sure if I should bring my 4 wheeler or not?

Still looking over the stuff and have looked at unit 56. But believe it take a atleast a point.

Good idea of what I'm looking for. Here in kansas I'm a archery only mobile tree stand hunter. Stand in and out every sit. Walking doesn't bother me, but our hills are just that hills. Will also venture to the western side of the state to hunt mulies as well this year when I can.

I've got good optics, will be alone unless I can talk someone into joining. Not looking for giants just a chance to see a good representation of the species.

Thanks for your time.

Not too familiar with 56 but the lower elevation areas in the valley are mostly private I believe, and the upper portion very steep. So maybe scout areas in between the two for 3rd season.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I've been reading more and more and decided against 57. I've looked into 18 and associated units and those would be a gimme as far as a tag. The way I'm reading it but it also has the most people. There are a few other units that seem to be a somewhat easy draw as well.

I'm not great at reading topo maps as I live in Kansas it's flat with some rolling hills. I look for buck sign and hunt it.

So I see why people get frustrated as i am trying to figure out where im going to try. the more I come out the easier it'll get im sure as far as locations but the more I research now will shorter that curve or so I hope.

Thanks for the replies.

jmav58

WKR
I've been reading more and more and decided against 57. I've looked into 18 and associated units and those would be a gimme as far as a tag. The way I'm reading it but it also has the most people. There are a few other units that seem to be a somewhat easy draw as well.

I'm not great at reading topo maps as I live in Kansas it's flat with some rolling hills. I look for buck sign and hunt it.

So I see why people get frustrated as i am trying to figure out where im going to try. the more I come out the easier it'll get im sure as far as locations but the more I research now will shorter that curve or so I hope.

Thanks for the replies.

PM Sent

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I hunted a unit last year that was +80% for third season. Definitely want to get an idea of what those lines on a topo translate to in the field as we found out! It was a tough hunt and we only turned up one good buck but with a four wheeler it would have opened up our options significantly. Shoot me a pm if you want to know more specifics.