3'x3' outdoor target recommendations?

vcb

WKR
So I'm tired of buying a $125 block target and blowing out the center in a year! I want to invest in a larger target. Partly for my Long distance practice but also because I could have several aiming points in a large target....hence making it last 4x as long.
i was looking at big shot targets...specifically the ironman 36". Anybody have any experience with this target or recommendations for a large 36x36 target. Budget is $300 or less...

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
OR, I was looking at big green targets too. How do they stand up to fast bows with skinny arrows. I.e. cpxl with injextions

OR Archer

WKR
Just fine. We use the larger version on our range. As long as you aren't continuously pounding the same small dot it will hold up and stop your arrows. I also shoot the Injexions and never had any issues.

Have you considered making your own? I made one this summer, 4' x 4'. 2x10 frame stuffed with old clothes with all button and zippers removed. It works really well. I think I have maybe 25 bucks into it.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
I did look into DIY. I was also interested in the "blob" target but the shipping is a deal breaker.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I did look into DIY. I was also interested in the "blob" target but the shipping is a deal breaker.

I wouldn't want a Blob for field points anyway. They say it's real easy to pull arrows, but they must be shooting 27/64's at 200fps for easy pulling. I have to lay the target down, stand on it, and pull with both arms using my legs to get my 500gr arrows out. It's easier pulling unlubed arrows on a 3D target. Not as bad with BH's, but still not easy. It's easier pulling FP's from a dedicated BH target.

Another option is to check with local ranges. Pellegrino here in the Springs sells his old 48x48 Block targets for a lot cheaper when he gets new ones. I still have the one I bought 7 years ago. There's only a couple places I can shoot it and keep the arrows in still, but that's what backstops are for. I'll bet I've put close to 60-70k arrows into it in that time......and even used part of it for BH's at one time. It sounds like a good idea when you don't have a BH target, but don't do that.:)

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 12221
I know this may not help ya but I just made this life size buffalo target out of 4x8 5/16" plywood. Used a jigsaw to cut the image I drew and then painted it for realism. I just use my rhinehart target for the vitals area. I will use another broadhead target to fill in the gaps. Took it out today and then painted one side of the rhinehart brown to match the body of the buffalo for even more realism. Have a buffalo hunt next winter (2014). I am going to make an elk target in the near future as well. Very easy to make just takes about a day to make depending on your free time.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered making your own? I made one this summer, 4' x 4'. 2x10 frame stuffed with old clothes with all button and zippers removed. It works really well. I think I have maybe 25 bucks into it.

I went DIY also. Made a nice wood frame and a removable trim frame on the front and back that I staple weed barrier to as the flat target face. It is filled with clothes and faced with chicken wire then the frame face and works excellent. When it starts getting worn then I just pull the clothes and re-line and stuff it back with the same clothes. When the face gets shot out then I remove the 4 screws on the frame, change the weed barrier and slap it back together.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
I'm lazy! Found the big green " Kodiak" target (32"x32") on amazon for $99 with free shipping. Done.

Aim small-miss small. DIY backstop and this.

10rinehart.jpg

You wanna target that will last forever, handle broadheads and go with you when you travel to hunt so you practice daily. Mine is holding up great! Spend the savings on something you really need. JMO.