4-12X42 ish, 1" scope

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm looking for a reliable 1" scope in the 3 or 4-12 magnification range. Second focal plane. You can keep the 30 mil and long range tactical comments to yourself. I don't need that kind of weight/size for this rifle. I had a 3-9X Meopta Meopro that I loved, but my eyes are getting older and I just cant see as well at 3-400yards as I would like to. I need more mag than just 9X. I tried a GPO Passion 3x 4-12x42, and it was only usable up to mid range magnification. After about 8 power or so plus, for longer ranger ranges, the eye relief shortened, the eye box was absolutely tiny and hard to get a full field of view, and the parallax was so bad (I'm assuming that what it was) that the image got really cloudy and distorted. Bummed me out too as on paper, that scope was exactly what I was looking for. Had the right mag range, a simple duplex reticle, and was compact and light. Are there any other good 1" scopes in this range I should be looking at? No tactical reticles please. Cost is not a prohibiting factor.

Last edited:
I have a few of the older Razor LHs (previous model to the LHT). The glass is very good at all ranges (3-15). I've had no issues with dialing. The only drawback was no zero stop. You may be able to still find some available if you shop around.

The Swaro Z3 is another potential contender. I had the Z5 and the glass was stellar. For the brief time that I had it, there were no issues with dialing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Doug, do you know what the outside diameter of the front objective is on that scope? I can't find dimensions listed anywhere.

I have 1" Talley lightweight low rings already on this gun and they are Cerakoted to match the rest of the metalwork, so I'd like to reuse them. Not sure if that bell is gonna fit.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, do you know what the outside diameter of the front objective is on that scope? I can't find dimensions listed anywhere.

I have 1" Talley lightweight low rings already on this gun and they are Cerakoted to match the rest of the metalwork, so I'd like to reuse them. Not sure if that bell is gonna fit.
I am sorry I do not have a caliper here

ChrisAU

WKR
How close is the objective bell to the barrel now? You'd be surprised what will fit. I've put many 50mm scopes on rifles with Talley lows. Assuming same constructions, a 50mm scope only needs 4mm more room towards the barrel than a 42mm, or 0.15 inches. A little more than 1/8". Larger objectives will help with the eye box getting tighter at higher mags as the exit pupil will be larger.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How close is the objective bell to the barrel now? You'd be surprised what will fit. I've put many 50mm scopes on rifles with Talley lows. Assuming same constructions, a 50mm scope only needs 4mm more room towards the barrel than a 42mm, or 0.15 inches. A little more than 1/8". Larger objectives will help with the eye box getting tighter at higher mags as the exit pupil will be larger.
It's pretty close now, id say about 1/16" or so. Not much room for more. I'd want to know measurements before purchasing.

ChrisAU

WKR
It's pretty close now, id say about 1/16" or so. Not much room for more. I'd want to know measurements before purchasing.

Most size specs can be found on the manufacturer's website. Here is the link for the 4.5-14x44 Meopta @gr8fuldoug mentioned, the objective bell on it is 50mm. I can't find the 3-9x40 specs (weird), but I'd expect you to need exactly 2mm more clearance than you had with the 3-9x40, or a little over 1/16".

The only other option I'd look at for your needs would be a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (also 50mm diameter objective bell). I'd actually prefer this to the Meopta for the FOV, the Meopta having 26'/100y compared to 30'/100y for the Swaro.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for that link on dimensions. I’ll have to get the calipers out tomorrow and take some measurements.

I have a Swaro Z5 on another rifle and I’ve been very satisfied. Zero issues of any kind and I do dial it. I’ve thought of going that route too, but 18x is more than I need for sure. Can’t beat the performance per weight on that scope for sure.

Wrench

WKR

I've run that scope in those rings an a 700sa.

Another fantastic choice would be a khales. They made the range you're looking for and are simply impressive to look through.