4.9# Weatherby

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I think to get to the 4.9lb you have to go with a short action caliber...so is that only the 6.5 creed? I'm not familiar with Weatherby actions....I like the 6.5 WBY RPM but its a long action so 5.9.....seems kinda unimpressive to me.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I think to get to the 4.9lb you have to go with a short action caliber...so is that only the 6.5 creed? I'm not familiar with Weatherby actions....I like the 6.5 WBY RPM but its a long action so 5.9.....seems kinda unimpressive to me.
The RPM weighs 4.9 pounds.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
The RPM weighs 4.9 pounds.

So the RPM is a standard action? 4.9 lbs is really light. I do have a Kimber Mountain Hunter in 30-06 that's a cheap rifle...it's 5.5lbs....Its all relative I guess. If It had a carbon barrel I'd be interested. I'm kinda on a carbon barrel kick so if its sporting a pencil steel barrel I'm not interested. They heat up so fast, change point of impact etc. I like the Carbon Mark but I think it's heavy...can't find a weight for it. I think it's over 7 lbs.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
So the RPM is a standard action? 4.9 lbs is really light. I do have a Kimber Mountain Hunter in 30-06 that's a cheap rifle...it's 5.5lbs....Its all relative I guess. If It had a carbon barrel I'd be interested. I'm kinda on a carbon barrel kick so if its sporting a pencil steel barrel I'm not interested. They heat up so fast, change point of impact etc. I like the Carbon Mark but I think it's heavy...can't find a weight for it. I think it's over 7 lbs.
Carbon is over-rated for hunting rifles in my opinion. Badass for sure, but unnecessary for 99% of hunting situations.

140 grain accubonds at 3200 fps in a sub 5# package puts this rifle in a different class than the other ultralight rigs on the market.

I'm not a Weatherby fan-boy, but man oh man does this one check all the boxes!

amassi

WKR
Yes their standard 6 lug action.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Carbon is over-rated for hunting rifles in my opinion. Badass for sure, but unnecessary for 99% of hunting situations.

140 grain accubonds at 3200 fps in a sub 5# package puts this rifle in a different class than the other ultralight rigs on the market.

I'm not a Weatherby fan-boy, but man oh man does this one check all the boxes!

No to ni-pick, but if you're talking about the new RPM cartridge, the 3200 fps load is the 127 LRX, 140 accubonds are 3075. Still plenty potent though.

I'm probably most interested in the standard action version of the Backcountry, not the Ti that costs almost a grand more. 5.3 lbs, and chambered for 280AI.

kjw

WKR
Did the world really need “another 6.5”? Why not just go 6.5x460 wby and call it done at this point. I’ve got a 6.5. Shoots amazing, great rifle but how many times are we gonna neck something down and get all Getty over it?

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Did the world really need “another 6.5”? Why not just go 6.5x460 wby and call it done at this point. I’ve got a 6.5. Shoots amazing, great rifle but how many times are we gonna neck something down and get all Getty over it?
It's not the cartridge. It's the rifle that the cartridge is paired with. Sweet set-up that I think differentiates itself from the factory competition, significantly.

I don't think Rokslide is the place to say there are too many cartridges already

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
It's not the cartridge. It's the rifle that the cartridge is paired with. Sweet set-up that I think differentiates itself from the factory competition, significantly.

I don't think Rokslide is the place to say there are too many cartridges already

I tend to agree. I'm leaning toward a 6.5 PRC but its a really nice offering from Weatherby. I don't really buy into the ammo availability stuff. Weatherby will support the cartridge forever. Find the Weatherby load your rifle likes and buy multiple boxes at a time online. I hate going to the store for anything...I don't care if Walmart doesn't carry 6.5 Whatever, because I don't want to shop there anyway......Well what if you go on an Alaska hunt and forget your ammo.....what if you forget your tag or your gun or your boots....

After looking at the Backcountry and the Backcountry TI I think I'd probably go with the Backcountry....You gain a slight amount of weight which will lessen the recoil and save some money. I think the 280AI looks pretty cool... I've never had a TI action but I know some guys aren't a fan. If this rifle had a Proof barrel I'd be all over it.....The CarbonMark is 7lbs?.....To heavy for me. I may have to go custom unfortunately.

kjw

WKR

🤣🤣🤣 I know I know.... we can never have enough options. It is awesome to these companies push limits and bring to life new ideas and theories. The rifle line is very awesome and I’ll be curious to see how they shoot for guys. I think the setup could be a sheep hunters dream.

Bones

WKR
Looks pretty sweet. Not really a weatherby fan, but if I were to do a build, would go with a TI action and probably an AG composite stock. I like what they are doing with this line.

Mike 338

WKR
Sub moa guarantee. That's nice. It's becoming apparent that only companies with lousy QC, worn out machines or a culture of crack addiction, can't deliver that with any consistency. The 5# weight thing I could take or leave though. Ultra lite is nice to carry but offers no advantage when it's time to break the shot. I tip my hat to the innovation though. Hope they sell a million of them.