4.9# Weatherby

Update 2/1/20 - ordered 2 Ti'S in Oct 19 - Hope to get updates soon. SHOT show just finalized. Seems like some of us early orders would have them by now. Eagerly watching this thread. I'll continue to update when I get news.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at One at the sheep show in reno and man that felt like a great rifle. It took all my self control to not order one can’t wait to hear how it shoots

Kotaman

WKR
I was able to pick mine up today. First impressions: WOW. Fit/finish are fantastic. Mounted up the Nightforce NX8 and ready to run some rounds through it. One small problem...I got home and there is no brake in the box. I assume it comes with Weartherby’s new brake. Shop is going to call Weatherby tomorrow regarding the brake. With the NF NX8, rifle weighs right at 7 lbs ready to hunt. Should be a great sheep rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Hope to run some rounds through it Saturday.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to pick mine up today. First impressions: WOW. Fit/finish are fantastic. Mounted up the Nightforce NX8 and ready to run some rounds through it. One small problem...I got home and there is no brake in the box. I assume it comes with Weartherby’s new brake. Shop is going to call Weatherby tomorrow regarding the brake. With the NF NX8, rifle weighs right at 7 lbs ready to hunt. Should be a great sheep rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Hope to run some rounds through it Saturday.

What caliber did you get?

wyosteve

WKR
I also fondled one at the Sheep Show. If I already didn't have a Rifles, Inc., I'd be all over the Weatherby.

Kotaman

WKR
What caliber did you get?

6.5 Weatherby RPM...Dealer called Weatherby on the brake today. Only way to get the brake that was supposed to come with the rifle is to send the rifle back in to Weatherby. :mad: I’m going to try it without, hopefully tomorrow and go from there...Frustrating.

Look through the box again. I bought a new ultralight last spring and no brake!! After about the 8th time turning the box inside out I found it! It was well disguised in a small brown wrapping and camouflaged in real good with the box! I almost threw it out! Let us know how she shoots!

amassi

WKR
6.5 Weatherby RPM...Dealer called Weatherby on the brake today. Only way to get the brake that was supposed to come with the rifle is to send the rifle back in to Weatherby. :mad: I’m going to try it without, hopefully tomorrow and go from there...Frustrating.
Is the barrel threaded ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
yes, but that barrel is THIN.
Seems ridiculous weatherby would need the rifle back then. I'd call weatherby Monday morning and rattle that cage directly

Kotaman

WKR
Look through the box again. I bought a new ultralight last spring and no brake!! After about the 8th time turning the box inside out I found it! It was well disguised in a small brown wrapping and camouflaged in real good with the box! I almost threw it out! Let us know how she shoots!

yeah, I pretty much broke the box down looking. It was supposed to be in the plastic bag with the manual.

Kotaman

WKR
Seems ridiculous weatherby would need the rifle back then. I'd call weatherby Monday morning and rattle that cage directly

I’m hoping to talk them into letting me send it in vs. the dealer as the dealer is 2.5 hours away. Made a special trip yesterday to pick it up. They claim they need to fit it and tune it to the specific rifle due to the thinness of the barrel.

Pretty common to want to fit a break to the rifle. In this day and age, you would expect everything to line up perfectly. In the event it doesn't, the bullet will hit the end of the break and depending on how much contact it makes, it could cause significant damage. Probably more of a CYA issue for Weatherby.

gbflyer

WKR
Brakes are reamed .030 over bore diameter generally. Something would have to be bad wrong for a strike.

Hope they send it to you but who knows. The words “company policy” get thrown out there and that’s the end of it.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Just to muddy the waters a bit on a 4.9# rifle It seems that Weatherby has cracked the nut of keeping the action light weight by going with a standard bolt in a standard TI action instead of a magnum bolt in a short magnum action, and a proprietary case that has magnum capacity. Others like Kimber have gone the route of the .280 AI in a standard “bolt” action which has about 68 grains of H20 capacity while the new RPM case has 81 grains; similar to the WSM series. It seems to me the case begs to be necked up to 7mm and .308 in the same action. Any rumors floating a round out there that Weatherby may be doing just that for 2020?
???
? 7mm RPM, .300 RPM? Seems either of these would make a fantastic all around Mountain game rifle at 4.9#’s.....

Kotaman

WKR
Ran some rounds through the 6.5 RPM this morning. Here are the first 5 rounds. The two on the left were the first two shots Out of the rifle cold. The three on the right were the next three after scope adjustment. Gun is a shooter. My take away: The rifle doesn’t really need a brake as recoil was not bad at all but would assist with muzzle flip. The bolt isn’t real smooth. I’m used to custom rifles and this bolt is rough. Hopefully this will improve after a couple hundred rounds. Overall a very nice, lightweight rifle. Is it going to replace my Gunwerks ClymR on the sheep mountain? Time will tell. For now the bolt would be a deal breaker with that regard. I’ll be calling Weatherby on Monday regarding the brake. If I have to send the rifle in, it won’t be the end of the world, I just hope they don’t make me drive 2.5 hours to have the dealer send it in. This rifle will be a huge hit for Weatherby IMO.

Attachments

• CECD8840-6312-43B4-BE80-81494A5C2EF0.jpeg
    CECD8840-6312-43B4-BE80-81494A5C2EF0.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 101