4.9# Weatherby

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Ran some rounds through the 6.5 RPM this morning. Here are the first 5 rounds. The two on the left were the first two shots Out of the rifle cold. The three on the right were the next three after scope adjustment. Gun is a shooter. My take away: The rifle doesn’t really need a brake as recoil was not bad at all but would assist with muzzle flip. The bolt isn’t real smooth. I’m used to custom rifles and this bolt is rough. Hopefully this will improve after a couple hundred rounds. Overall a very nice, lightweight rifle. Is it going to replace my Gunwerks ClymR on the sheep mountain? Time will tell. For now the bolt would be a deal breaker with that regard. I’ll be calling Weatherby on Monday regarding the brake. If I have to send the rifle in, it won’t be the end of the world, I just hope they don’t make me drive 2.5 hours to have the dealer send it in. This rifle will be a huge hit for Weatherby IMO.
Looking good! Which bullet weight/ammo did you try? Does this Weatherby have a pressure point or is it freefloated....assuming pressure point?

Kotaman

WKR
Update 2/1/20 - ordered 2 Ti'S in Oct 19 - Hope to get updates soon. SHOT show just finalized. Seems like some of us early orders would have them by now. Eagerly watching this thread. I'll continue to update when I get news.
Looking good! Which bullet weight/ammo did you try? Does this Weatherby have a pressure point or is it freefloated....assuming pressure point?
Shooting the factory Weatherby 127 gr. Barnes LRX. Getting right at 3025 FPS. I switched scopes from the Nightforce NX8 to a Swarovski Z6 this afternoon. Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 8 oz!

Kotaman

WKR
Nice! I wonder about the bolt being rough thing? maybe its the powdercoating? I have never had a weatherby with a bolt that wasnt smooth.

I agree, but this one is rough. I think it’s getting better though. It’s a definite two stage hitch. Hoping it smooths out in time. After running a box of shells through it throughout the day, a brake would definitely be beneficial. Rang the gong a couple times at 600 yards, but you really notice the muzzle flip at distance.

Weatherby likely will not have you take it back to the dealer to send it in. Fed law allows firearms to be shipped directly to a manufacturer or gunsmith, and be returned directly to the owner without having to use or go through an FFL (as long as there is no change of ownership).

Waiting to see how yours works out before I buy mine. I‘m not planning on going with the Ti action, but hate the color they chose for the non-Ti version. Mine will prob be done with a similar color pattern as yours through the Custom Shop (Prob 280 Ackley as I’m already invested in the cartridge).

Please let us know how it turns out. Also, please let us know what you think about the AG stock design and ergos as it is a real departure from the normal Weatherby shape (which is a plus for me at least).

Wow, what a gem

Now I have to spend more money on my custom build...

Thanks alot for being hard on my wallet guys...

Dang Namit...

Don

gbflyer

WKR
Nice report and good shooting. A Ti action won’t operate as smooth. This is one of the trade offs that the boutique action builders have struggled with.

Could you put up a picture or two of the rifle? I’m having a hard time with the Weatherby website.

Isn't the titanium action the likely cause of the draggy/gritty feeling when the bolt is worked? I know the Remington 700 Titanium guns were that way, at least new in the gunshop. Never bought or shot one, but understood they smoothed up a bit with use.

2five7

WKR
Shooting the factory Weatherby 127 gr. Barnes LRX. Getting right at 3025 FPS. I switched scopes from the Nightforce NX8 to a Swarovski Z6 this afternoon. Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 8 oz!
Man, that seems really slow for that load. You can damn near hit those speeds with a Creedmoor. I would expect 3200 easy with that size case and a 127.

Kotaman

WKR
That round rated “off the box” shows 3225 FPS, but with a 26” barrel. (This one is 24”), so I agree, it’s a little slow. I would’ve expected 3125 or so. Will be anxious to chrono it in some warmer temps.

Attachments

• 0C34A794-8676-4AC1-8EBD-CB6E4AA289E5.jpeg
    0C34A794-8676-4AC1-8EBD-CB6E4AA289E5.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 164

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
That round rated “off the box” shows 3225 FPS, but with a 26” barrel. (This one is 24”), so I agree, it’s a little slow. I would’ve expected 3125 or so. Will be anxious to chrono it in some warmer temps.

If warmer temps don’t help and you reload, Reloader 33 and Retumbo (among others) should get you to 3250 and possibly 3300 with the 127LRX in a 24 inch barrel. Data I tweaked from a 6.5 and 6mm/300WSM I worked with years ago.....all approximately 78 to 81 grain H2O capacity

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
If warmer temps don’t help and you reload, Reloader 33 and Retumbo (among others) should get you to 3250 and possibly 3300 with the 127LRX in a 24 inch barrel. Data I tweaked from a 6.5 and 6mm/300WSM I worked with years ago.....all approximately 78 to 81 grain H2O capacity

I thought I'd wait until warmer weather before making any "rash" decisions. Thanks for the loading info.

GOOD NEWS: Weatherby found my brake along with a few others that didn't ship with their rifles. They are going to match up the serial numbers and send them out! woooohooo....

Last edited:

jfs82

WKR
Can't wait to see a few more reviews of these. I was seriously considering one in 6.5 rpm but ended up going with the Seekins Element. Following

I tammed down my 6.5 A Square from 2980 to 2750 ft-per seconds on the 140 grainers,,, its all about accuracy and brass life in my world now days,,, a small fraction of barrel life too... Ha...

I'm pretty sure those bullets will knock down critters at 3 to 400 meters...

Don

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Wondering what good getting potential higher velocities in warmer weather if the hunting conditions are colder?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Bad news: Weatherby says they’ve found 6 brakes there were left out of packages and assumed one was mine. None of the serial numbers match mine... Now, I may have to send the rifle in. This brake thing has kinda been like the stock market. Good news one day, not so much the next....

Bad news: Weatherby says they’ve found 6 brakes there were left out of packages and assumed one was mine. None of the serial numbers match mine... Now, I may have to send the rifle in. This brake thing has kinda been like the stock market. Good news one day, not so much the next....
Got a text message yesteday afternoon… It was one of Weatherby guys… He said Adam was signing both of my range certified rifles & shipping today. Now just a few more weeks!

Kotaman

WKR
Got a text message yesteday afternoon… It was one of Weatherby guys… He said Adam was signing both of my range certified rifles & shipping today. Now just a few more weeks!

I should call”Adam” and see if he knows where my brake is...No word yet...