4.9# Weatherby

Kotaman

WKR
I planned on replacing my brake with the new micro bastard - have you taken a look?

IMO, the barrel diameter is WAY too small for that brake. Not only that, I have one of their brakes on a Proof 28 Nosler and they are ugly. Not a real “clean” look IMO. They do work though...

Kotaman

WKR
Brake UPDATE: Boxing my rifle up today and sending it to Weatherby. Talked to them directly today and they have exhausted their search for my brake and are going to make a new one. They said they are made specifically and tuned specifically for each of these rifles. I bought two production rifles this year (Weatherby Back Country Ti and a Christensen Mesa Ti) and both had issues. Both companies were great to deal with but what a PITA.

Kotaman

WKR
So I sent Weatherby my rifle 3/31 and got it back today with the brake. Pretty darn good service. They paid overnight shipping both ways.

The brake really tames the “flip” down. Ran a box through it this morning and while I don’t think I shoot it any better with the brake, it is certainly easier to get back on target.

I certainly can’t complain with the service I got from Weatherby or Christensen on my two latest purchases. Though the problems were an unfortunate PITA, both companies remedied the situation with ease in a very timely manner. Kudos to both companies. I don’t own many “production“ rifles anymore, by the way of custom, but these two (Weatherby Back Country Ti and Christensen Ti Ridgeline) are both winners/keepers.

Kotaman

WKR
By not smooth, do you mean it slides and locks rough? Does it feel loose and rattly as it slides back and forth, or just a rough ride?

By two stage hitch, you are talking about how it requires quite a bit of force where it hits the pin cock and then again the lugs as you rotate the handle?

I think WBY is excellent, but I can be a little annoyed when a factory says that cycling the bolt a few hundred times is part of the finishing process. I had quite a problem with CA when they told me that about my rough unfinished action on a brand new rifle . . . If 200-500 cycles is a specified part of the finishing process, why don't they cycle it a few hundred times at the factory, then call it a finished rifle, instead of selling us unfinished products?

More difficult target acquisition due to distance...

By “rough”, I don’t mean how it slides. It’s almost a two step process to lift the bolt to the top. Almost a “hitch”. So I would say you are on the right track by saying “quite a bit of force where it hits pin cock, then again the lugs as you rotate the handle.” If you PM me your phone number, I can text you a video. I’m hoping it gets better with use, but I don’t have much patience for anything but perfection on a 3k plus rifle.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
More difficult target acquisition due to distance...

By “rough”, I don’t mean how it slides. It’s almost a two step process to lift the bolt to the top. Almost a “hitch”. So I would say you are on the right track by saying “quite a bit of force where it hits pin cock, then again the lugs as you rotate the handle.” If you PM me your phone number, I can text you a video. I’m hoping it gets better with use, but I don’t have much patience for anything but perfection on a 3k plus rifle.

I know exactly what your talking about.
On my 2 - 257 weatherbys. The 2 lug vanguard is smooth as glass. I bought a new outfitter mark v. The mark v has a noticable hitch when cocking and a noticable push for lug engagement. I did have my gunsmith lap the lugs and that has made it 40%ish better but its still there. I suspect its just kinda the way it works with 9 lugs. On the flip side my fieldcraft and vanguard with 2 lugs are so smooth sometimes I have to check that it chambered. I don't know if my mark v will get that smooth ever.

RogerNH

FNG
My local gun store had one on the rack (it belonged to the store owner). It was a left hand .300 Weatherby. It was pretty light but was definitely barrel-heavy (didn't have a scope so I'm sure it would be more balanced then). The action was nice but the thing that I couldn't stop looking at was the stock. The stock was really nice and very high quality. If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate buying one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shorter barrel and even lighter!

My local gun store had one on the rack (it belonged to the store owner). It was a left hand .300 Weatherby. It was pretty light but was definitely barrel-heavy (didn't have a scope so I'm sure it would be more balanced then). The action was nice but the thing that I couldn't stop looking at was the stock. The stock was really nice and very high quality. If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate buying one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shorter barrel and even lighter!
AG Composites makes the stock for them.

Magnett

FNG
Carbon is over-rated for hunting rifles in my opinion. Badass for sure, but unnecessary for 99% of hunting situations.

140 grain accubonds at 3200 fps in a sub 5# package puts this rifle in a different class than the other ultralight rigs on the market.

I'm not a Weatherby fan-boy, but man oh man does this one check all the boxes!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/we...-and-new-6-5-wby-rpm-cartridge/#ixzz6OGco3SzF
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

"Weatherby Select Plus using a Nosler 140 Accubond wit a muzzle velocity of 3,075 fps. " Lets not over do it!

jfs82

WKR
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/we...-and-new-6-5-wby-rpm-cartridge/#ixzz6OGco3SzF
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

"Weatherby Select Plus using a Nosler 140 Accubond wit a muzzle velocity of 3,075 fps. " Lets not over do it!
Yeah, sweet rifle, sweet cartridge but not really much beyond a 6.5 prc, except in ammo price. If I could justify an expensive backup rifle I think I would certainly consider one in 6cm.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
You can buy them from Weatherby. $800 for the AccuMark elite, I believe. I called the custom shop about it.
I may have to give them a call. I have a 6.5-300 Ultralite that weighs in at 8.5lbs with scope but the stock weighs in at 36 ounces. If I can get a sub 25 ounce stock maybe I can get it down to about 7 3/4 lbs. McMillan Carbon Edge series are around 25 ounces

I may have to give them a call. I have a 6.5-300 Ultralite that weighs in at 8.5lbs with scope but the stock weighs in at 36 ounces. If I can get a sub 25 ounce stock maybe I can get it down to about 7 3/4 lbs. McMillan Carbon Edge series are around 25 ounces
I’d think a backcountry stock would fit on the ultra lightweight.

Finally got my Backcountry Ti's. Ordered 2, one in 7mm WBM and one is 300 WBM. Here's the 7mm with Leupold Vx-6hd scope mounted. Note: haven't installed accubrake ST yet, will do at range. Should be firing soon and will report results. Adam Weatherby signed range sheets after the custom shop certified both guns for us. A few days shy of 8 months to get in, but 100% worth the wait. My buddy got the 300 WBM...here's a notice to the Elk in Colorado this fall.... Watch out! We're on our way!

Attachments

• weatherby.jpg
    weatherby.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 98

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting the factory Weatherby 127 gr. Barnes LRX. Getting right at 3025 FPS. I switched scopes from the Nightforce NX8 to a Swarovski Z6 this afternoon. Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 8 oz!

Any update on how these chrono at more moderate temps? I’m balancing between an rpm or 257 but so far real world velocities and weatherbys reload data looks like a let down.

For those that have these in hand, can someone please confirm the real world weight of the rifle? I’m looking for a bare rifle weight for the 9 lug action mag caliber for both the Ti and Non-Ti version of the Backcountry. I’m considering picking one of these up in 257, but am concerned about the non-Ti version‘s real weight, and the worth of buying the Ti version given the price difference.

I’d probably try the 6 lug 6.5 RPM if I didn’t already have a great shooting 280 Ackley, as the RPM doesn’t really get me much benefit given the speed of both shooting 140 Nos AccuBond loads.

Also, any input on stock shape and ergonomics would be much appreciated, as would real world accuracy reports.

Thanks,
Craig