4.9# Weatherby

Kotaman

WKR
For those that have these in hand, can someone please confirm the real world weight of the rifle? I’m looking for a bare rifle weight for the 9 lug action mag caliber for both the Ti and Non-Ti version of the Backcountry. I’m considering picking one of these up in 257, but am concerned about the non-Ti version‘s real weight, and the worth of buying the Ti version given the price difference.

I’d probably try the 6 lug 6.5 RPM if I didn’t already have a great shooting 280 Ackley, as the RPM doesn’t really get me much benefit given the speed of both shooting 140 Nos AccuBond loads.

Also, any input on stock shape and ergonomics would be much appreciated, as would real world accuracy reports.

Thanks,
Craig

I can only speak for the RPM, but it was spot on 4.9 lbs. exactly spec.

BjornF16

WKR
Shooting the factory Weatherby 127 gr. Barnes LRX. Getting right at 3025 FPS. I switched scopes from the Nightforce NX8 to a Swarovski Z6 this afternoon. Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 8 oz!
Kotaman,

Are you really only getting 3025 fps?

If so, I'm going to be pi&&ed. I just ordered a Backcountry in 6.5 RPM.

As far as I can tell, all the Mark V 6.5 RPM offerings are 24" barrels. Why would they advertise 26" barrels if they don't offer them?

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman,

Are you really only getting 3025 fps?

If so, I'm going to be pi&&ed. I just ordered a Backcountry in 6.5 RPM.

As far as I can tell, all the Mark V 6.5 RPM offerings are 24" barrels. Why would they advertise 26" barrels if they don't offer them?
I believe most of their models do have a 26" barrel in 6.5 RPM. I'm sure one could push this to the 26" specs reloading. I haven't had a chance to reload for this caliber yet. Yes, I was a little disappointed, but it's not an end all for this cartridge either. Let us know how yours shoots. If the wind ever goes down here, I'll try to do an "update".

BjornF16

WKR
I just went through Weatherby's website (again). All of their Mark V 6.5 RPM rifles are 24" barrels. Accumark, Carbonmark, Weathermark, Deluxe, etc.

You might see 26", but that is "Action/Barrel OAL" which is actually barrel length plus muzzle brake length.

I haven't bothered looking at Vanguard.

Kotaman

WKR
I just went through Weatherby's website (again). All of their Mark V 6.5 RPM rifles are 24" barrels. Accumark, Carbonmark, Weathermark, Deluxe, etc.

You might see 26", but that is "Action/Barrel OAL" which is actually barrel length plus muzzle brake length.

I haven't bothered looking at Vanguard.
Interesting...I thought those were all 26". I must have been thinking/seeing OAL. (again) In that case, I don't know why they would publish everything at 26" lengths other than to deceive.

BjornF16

WKR
Interesting...I thought those were all 26". I must have been thinking/seeing OAL. (again) In that case, I don't know why they would publish everything at 26" lengths other than to deceive.
100 fps loss per inch is pretty significant. I wouldn't expect more than 50 fps/in loss.

What did you use to measure your mv at 3025 fps?

Kotaman

WKR
100 fps loss per inch is pretty significant. I wouldn't expect more than 50 fps/in loss.

What did you use to measure your mv at 3025 fps?
My “Chrono” that appears to be on with anything else I’ve ever tested it against archery or firearm. And I own about every caliber known to man. 🤣🤦‍♂️

BjornF16

WKR
well...one can hope.

Still not too shabby performance...was hoping for at least 100 fps more though. I'm picking up my Backcountry and ammo this afternoon. Still awaiting rings from MidwayUSA.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 2.56.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 2.56.25 PM.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 45
Wouldn't expect more than 50-60 FPS loss between 24 and 26". Edit; it looks like Kotaman's speeds might have been the first box through the rifle. I wouldn't be surprised if he gained 80+ FPS after putting a couple hundred rounds down it.

3025 is within 50 FPS of a reasonable creedmoor handload. My old 6.5x47 130 AR Hybrid node was 2950 fps..

Last edited:

Afhunter1

WKR
Well, a little over a year after I placed my order my LGS just called and said my 280AI is in. Hopefully I can get down to get it Friday. Need to order a LHT and some Talley's for it now. Almost forgot I had this thing on order.

BjornF16

WKR
Still waiting on my Talley's...

However, I used my MagnetoSpeed to check velocities on Weatherby 6.5 RPM ammo.

1 - 3118 fps (very stiff bolt; hard to extract)
2 - 3052 fps (no issues)
3 - 3053 fps (no issues)

Far cry from 3225 fps listed on the box.

On another note, did not install the brake. Recoil was like a pussy cat. Much less than my Kimber 280AI.

Depending upon what Weatherby reveals as new cartridge (hopefully soon), I'm thinking new cartridge or 300 Wby for next rifle.

Afhunter1

WKR
I picked up my rifle yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I was gonna like the tan cerakote but after seeing one in person and fondling it for a bit it has grown on me. I like it much better than I thought I would. First thing I did when I got home was toss it on the scale. 5# 3.7 oz not bad at all! I don’t have rings or a scope yet and with my archery season, bear, and rifle season taking up the next few weeks it will prob be after the first of the year until I can actually get out and shoot the darn thing. I need to gather some reloading supplies as well. Did snag a 8# jug of re26 the other day so hoping this gun will like that and some 160 accubonds too. I was correct on the price I was quoted and that is the price I paid for it. I got a good deal on a really nicely put together gun. I’ll kick this back up with a range report sometime soon.

bruno747

FNG
Had an opportunity to take my 280 Ackley Backcountry TI out today.

Shot wonderfully, but had two issues, one might be ammo related. First, the nosler 280 ackley ammo I was using must have been pretty hot. Primers were bulging around the firing pin, and had one case get pretty stuck after firing. The rest came out fine without any fight I'm gonna inspect the rifle very carefully tonight.

The other more annoying issue is the ejector is really lazy at least IMO. I'm used to Remington 700s that try to fling the case across the range as soon as the throat clears the action. Literally half of the cases failed to flick out with enough force to reliably clear the action, a majority of those, flipped over just far enough to get free of the extractor, and proceed to fall right back into the action. The others that didn't come out well tumbled over the side of the action and literally fell on my feet. The few that did toss made it maybe 10" from my feet.

Meanwhile my 700 VLS in 223 was chucking cases nearly 5 foot away all day.

The weatherby shot well, just under half MOA at 250yds and that was with a caldwell dead shot chair not a really good bench so I have no doubt it can probably do even better. I was however lucky that this morning the grasslands were calm. Almost no wind so I am sure that helped too.

BTW for those that are curious, the Leupold Mark V LT backcountry rings do fit the 6 lug backcountry ti properly without shimming (at least the 30mm Medium ones do), though they do hang off the sides of the action a bit. Read a lot of forums where people had issues running out of elevation adjustment just trying to zero and Leupolds response was to shim, but that was with their normal mounts. Lots of conjecture that those people complaining bought the 9 lug rings. I couldn't find anything on the backcountry rings. So I just wanted to put that out there. Also didn't need to lap the rings. Really surprised me, but the rings lined up perfectly and had perfect scope contact.

Finally weight vs recoil. Between the brake and the 3d Hex pad, this thing is a delight to shoot despite being just over 6lb all setup. I know 280 ackley isn't particularly a painful caliber, but this was downright enjoyable to shoot.

EDIT: Inspected the rifle. Found why the ejector was so lazy. The roll pin that holds the ejector in place was partially hanging out of the bolt. Enough so that the ejector was twisted in its bore and wedging between the roll pin and bolt housing. Pulled the ejector out to make sure it wasn't marred from some doofus at the factory trying to drive that roll pin home with the ejector in the way. Looked okay. I put everything back together and now I can reliably flick cartridges out of the action as long as I don't open the bolt quickly. For some reason that messes with it still and they like to fall into the action. So note to self. Dont get excited and try to jack another shell in quickly. Slow and smooth...slow and smooth.

Last edited:

bruno747

FNG

2 - 3052 fps (no issues)
3 - 3053 fps (no issues)

On another note, did not install the brake. Recoil was like a pussy cat. Much less than my Kimber 280AI.

Depending upon what Weatherby reveals as new cartridge (hopefully soon), I'm thinking new cartridge or 300 Wby for next rifle.

This is why I went 280 Ackley. Seemed like Weatherby was making some pretty bold claims about the 6.5 RPM and when I found some people online actually testing it out, it was underperforming pretty much where you are reading or less.

When I saw the 280 Ackley tested out of the same rifle, it was pretty close so I went with the non-Weatherby round. Seems like I have seen 280 Ackley more places than I have branded Weatherby calibers.

Plus, well you know, Weatherby tax. Though their rounds have come down in price in recent years its not quite as shocking to see a box of their ammo now.

amassi

WKR
Had an opportunity to take my 280 Ackley Backcountry TI out today.

Shot wonderfully, but had two issues, one might be ammo related. First, the nosler 280 ackley ammo I was using must have been pretty hot. Primers were bulging around the firing pin, and had one case get pretty stuck after firing. The rest came out fine without any fight I'm gonna inspect the rifle very carefully tonight.

The other more annoying issue is the ejector is really lazy at least IMO. I'm used to Remington 700s that try to fling the case across the range as soon as the throat clears the action. Literally half of the cases failed to flick out with enough force to reliably clear the action, a majority of those, flipped over just far enough to get free of the extractor, and proceed to fall right back into the action. The others that didn't come out well tumbled over the side of the action and literally fell on my feet. The few that did toss made it maybe 10" from my feet.

Meanwhile my 700 VLS in 223 was chucking cases nearly 5 foot away all day.

The weatherby shot well, just under half MOA at 250yds and that was with a caldwell dead shot chair not a really good bench so I have no doubt it can probably do even better. I was however lucky that this morning the grasslands were calm. Almost no wind so I am sure that helped too.

BTW for those that are curious, the Leupold Mark V LT backcountry rings do fit the 6 lug backcountry ti properly without shimming (at least the 30mm Medium ones do), though they do hang off the sides of the action a bit. Read a lot of forums where people had issues running out of elevation adjustment just trying to zero and Leupolds response was to shim, but that was with their normal mounts. Lots of conjecture that those people complaining bought the 9 lug rings. I couldn't find anything on the backcountry rings. So I just wanted to put that out there. Also didn't need to lap the rings. Really surprised me, but the rings lined up perfectly and had perfect scope contact.

Finally weight vs recoil. Between the brake and the 3d Hex pad, this thing is a delight to shoot despite being just over 6lb all setup. I know 280 ackley isn't particularly a painful caliber, but this was downright enjoyable to shoot.

EDIT: Inspected the rifle. Found why the ejector was so lazy. The roll pin that holds the ejector in place was partially hanging out of the bolt. Enough so that the ejector was twisted in its bore and wedging between the roll pin and bolt housing. Pulled the ejector out to make sure it wasn't marred from some doofus at the factory trying to drive that roll pin home with the ejector in the way. Looked okay. I put everything back together and now I can reliably flick cartridges out of the action as long as I don't open the bolt quickly. For some reason that messes with it still and they like to fall into the action. So note to self. Dont get excited and try to jack another shell in quickly. Slow and smooth...slow and smooth.
I'd send it in. I've never had a mark v action that wouldnt reliably throw a shell when the bolt was worked

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR

2 - 3052 fps (no issues)
3 - 3053 fps (no issues)

Interesting- may want to keep shooting
My barrel settled in around 30 rounds
Factory 127 lrx now avg 3220

124 hammer hunters and n560 3330

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bruno747

FNG
Ya'll won't believe the issue regarding shell ejection.

Weatherby wanted to send it in, I asked if they could just send me an ejector spring to test first. As she was talking to one of the guys in the service department trying to locate said spring, the guy said something akin to the following.

Has he checked his windage turret for brass marks?

Well no, its not an issue on my other rifles. (Duh first weatherby its gonna act different)

Remove my turret cover, and there is wear, but its a scope I bought used with some wear. Look at it in the light. Sure enough there is brass.

Nice lady said drop an empty shell in and cycle the bolt while watching it eject see if it bounces off the turret.

Sure enough smacked the turret. Removed the scope, rifle just chucks them at a steeper angle than my 700s. about a foot up and landed about 3' away with consistency no matter how fast or slow I worked the bolt.

Apologized to the nice lady for putting in a ticket that was due to my own error. Rifle is just fine, that scope with a finger dial covered turret is the issue. Guess I gotta find a different scope for this rifle.