4.9# Weatherby

Rifle is just fine, that scope with a finger dial covered turret is the issue. Guess I gotta find a different scope for this rifle.
I would probably see if i could talk Weatherby out of a spare extractor and try to gently change the geometry/angle of the ejector so that it ejects flatter, you may also be able to possibly remedy this via clipping a few coils off the ejector spring. Either or may possibly allow you to clear your turret cap.

bruno747

FNG
Looks like the extractor could be filed. Possibly the ejector to minimize how high it jumps. Kind of a complex issue cause in slow motion its two fold. First is bouncing off the side of the action as it starts to toss out. If I can get it to clear that to start it may not touch the scope at all.

Second, as I alluded to before, working the action in a deliberate medium pace makes it pretty reliable. Moving the scope back about 1/8th to 1/4" and not rapidly pulling the bolt back has made it pretty much 100%. Still cant cycle the bolt as quickly as my 700s.

I am also looking for any other scopes I could use, but as I have stated in other threads, the current one is the single model scope that has the lowest weight with all the features I want and none that I don't. If I could find one with the same features and non-finger adjustable turrets, rifle would be just fine. But as best I can find, no such combination exists.

For those who have a Weatherby Backcountry could you verify whether the actual overall length (46.125 inches for the 6.5rpm or 280ai) is the length including the muzzle break installed?

By comparison, the Kimber Mountain ascent in 280ai is advertised as a 43.75 inches OAL... but I know from previous experience that kimber does not include their muzzle break in that measurement (which adds 1.5 inches)...

Trying to decide between the kimber and the non ti version of the backcountry... both seem to be about 5lbs 6oz in a 280ai, but if the Kimber is really 2.5 inches shorter... that would be a major plus for a mountain rifle.

Wapiti406

WKR
For those who have a Weatherby Backcountry could you verify whether the actual overall length (46.125 inches for the 6.5rpm or 280ai) is the length including the muzzle break installed?

By comparison, the Kimber Mountain ascent in 280ai is advertised as a 43.75 inches OAL... but I know from previous experience that kimber does not include their muzzle break in that measurement (which adds 1.5 inches)...

Trying to decide between the kimber and the non ti version of the backcountry... both seem to be about 5lbs 6oz in a 280ai, but if the Kimber is really 2.5 inches shorter... that would be a major plus for a mountain rifle.
I have a non ti 280ai, OAL with the thread protector in is 44.5" and is 5.4lbs.

BjornF16

WKR
Kimber MA 280AI on left, Weatherby Backcountry 6.5 RPM on right. With and without muzzle brakes

B75A16C9-2D43-400D-837B-9096B86AF050.jpeg

Attachments

• 66F0DA16-6E2B-44E2-B3F9-6F08FD29FE72.jpeg
    66F0DA16-6E2B-44E2-B3F9-6F08FD29FE72.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 60
I have a non ti 280ai, OAL with the thread protector in is 44.5" and is 5.4lbs.
Awesome! Thanks! That puts the Backcountry only about 3/4 of an inch longer than the kimber... lots better than 2.5.

By my math, the 5.4lbs should be about 5lbs 6.4oz. Assuming that is the weight with just the thread protector, that puts the non ti backcountry about a half ounce heavier than the kimber (advertised weight at 5lbs 6oz without break)... although my last kimber was about an ounce heavier than its advertised weight...

Kimber MA 280AI on left, Weatherby Backcountry 6.5 RPM on right. With and without muzzle brakes

View attachment 253903
The break you have on the kimber looks different than the radial style that came with mine; is it something new from kimber or is that aftermarket?

Also, between the two... fit and finish, quality, etc... which do you prefer and why?

BjornF16

WKR
The break you have on the kimber looks different than the radial style that came with mine; is it something new from kimber or is that aftermarket?

Also, between the two... fit and finish, quality, etc... which do you prefer and why?
The MB on the Kimber is aftermarket...much more effective than the original radial brake.

Between the two, I favor the Weatherby for the following reasons:
1. Bolt lift (Kimber=90; Wby=54 degrees) and smooth cycling (Wby)
2. Weatherby came bedded from factory; I bedded the Kimber
3. Weatherby came with Trigger Tech trigger
4. Weatherby has BDL bottom metal; Kimber is blind box

In reality, number 1 above is the only one that really matters to me. The rest are in the noise level. I find myself scraping my knuckles on my scope when cycling the bolt on the Kimber. It may be because the bolt is shorter than my R700.

I find myself preferring shorter bolt lift guns now like the Tikka, Weatherby, Browning.

When I bought my 6.5 RPM, I was really looking for the 280 AI but it was nowhere to be found at the time (in the non-Ti). In retrospect, I would prefer the 280 AI over the 6.5 RPM (not that I dislike the RPM, I just prefer 7mm's when hunting elk).

BjornF16

WKR
Can anyone share their direct comparison of Weatherby Backcountry (either flavor) and Browning X-Bolt Pro?

I've never owned a Browning rifle and wondering if there is a significant difference...

2five7

WKR
Can anyone share their direct comparison of Weatherby Backcountry (either flavor) and Browning X-Bolt Pro?

I've never owned a Browning rifle and wondering if there is a significant difference...
I've owned several Weatherby rifles, and several higher end X-bolts, to me they are very comparable in terms of overall quality and "shootability". My 2 main hunting rifles right now are a Mark V Weathermark LT in 6.5 RPM, and a X-bolt HC Long Range McMillan in 28 Nosler. Can't say that one is better than the other, they both shoot lights out, each has it's own specific purpose.

I guess, in short, they are both excellent rifles, buy whichever you feel fits you better.

BjornF16

WKR
I've owned several Weatherby rifles, and several higher end X-bolts, to me they are very comparable in terms of overall quality and "shootability". My 2 main hunting rifles right now are a Mark V Weathermark LT in 6.5 RPM, and a X-bolt HC Long Range McMillan in 28 Nosler. Can't say that one is better than the other, they both shoot lights out, each has it's own specific purpose.

I guess, in short, they are both excellent rifles, buy whichever you feel fits you better.
Thanks 257

I own a Backcountry in 6.5 RPM and will soon have one in 6CM.

I was contemplating a Browning X-Bolt Pro in the new 6.8 Western to potentially replace my Kimber MA 280AI.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the the thread, but; has anyone fired the Backcountry in 300 Weatherby yet? I’d be interested in opinions on the recoil.

The rifle I shoot the most is a Sako 85 chambered in 7-08, which is a kitten. I also shoot a Sako 85 Long Range in .338 Lapua at the range and the recoil is just a “heavy push,” whereas I also have an X-Bolt .375 H&H that I find to be pretty uncomfortable for range work due to a fast/sharp jab in the shoulder.

Anybody fired this 5.9lb TI in 300 Wby that can give me some idea where it might fall in the range of the rifles I’ve described above?

sbw50

FNG
Could someone who owns the Mark V Backcountry share how the receivers are bedded to the stock? Are they glass bedded?

Its been almost two years now since I had mine apart. I believe its a combo bedding block and fiberglass bedding. I have had every previous weatherby bedded, even the aluminum block ones. I saw no need whatsoever to have this backcountry bedded.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly a 4.9 lb Weatherby in a 6.5 caliber but a definite improvement over my original 6.5-300 Ultralite setup. I restocked my factory Ultralite, which came in at 8lbs 8oz with this same scope setup, with a new AG composites stock. The factory stock weighed in at 35oz and the new Privateer at 20oz which gave me a new total weight of 7lb 9oz. This is exactly 1 lb heavier than my Kimber MA in 280AI. The Mark V is not exactly a mountain rifle but the new stock certainly brings it closer. I am very impressed with AG’s Privateer since it came in under their advertised weight

Attachments

• FC4B536C-4B1F-42FA-BB28-259E9970BE91.jpeg
    FC4B536C-4B1F-42FA-BB28-259E9970BE91.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 48
Not exactly a 4.9 lb Weatherby in a 6.5 caliber but a definite improvement over my original 6.5-300 Ultralite setup. I restocked my factory Ultralite, which came in at 8lbs 8oz with this same scope setup, with a new AG composites stock. The factory stock weighed in at 35oz and the new Privateer at 20oz which gave me a new total weight of 7lb 9oz. This is exactly 1 lb heavier than my Kimber MA in 280AI. The Mark V is not exactly a mountain rifle but the new stock certainly brings it closer. I am very impressed with AG’s Privateer since it came in under their advertised weight
Did you get that stock through Weatherby? AG doesn't have Weatherby listed when I go to build a stock.