4 Colorado preference points??

Jethro

WKR
I’ll keep to myself and hang out in the background
That is exactly what NOT to do. Join in some threads. Post what you know and I don't mean hunting spots. Be a contributor. That is what makes you a member of Rok and opens up dialogs with other members.

That said, it doesn't matter if you have 4 posts or 4,000 posts, you won't get a straight answer to "I have X number of points, where should I hunt". But don't sweat it. We're used to it. Happens all the time.

Man these threads always turn out wonderfully LOL... Yall gotta understand RS has a long history of people jumping in with 1 post and asking for help and disappearing never to be seen again. Also any info anyone replies to your thread is going to have 10k "google researchers" also getting the same info, so even if these guys gave you an exact unit and place to hunt you wouldn't wanna go there because it'll be pummeled by google hunters anyway.

HenDawg3

FNG
Well like I said that’s not what I want, so I won’t let it happen again, and I’ll try not to jump in on posts, abs I wanna be a contributor and part of a group. Thanks for the advice

sndmn11

WKR
4 pts is a bad spot to be in, quite honestly. I know because that's where I am sitting!! I've been digging and researching for weeks and the options are not great. In terms of muzzleloader hunts, you are looking at burning your points in an area that is also most likely OTC for archery. That seems pointless to me.

There are some archery tags that can be drawn with 4 points, but they don't really thrill me. Most of them are draw tags due to their close proximity to heavily populated areas.

There are some OK 1st rifle tags, but most of them take less than 4 pts to draw. The good 1st rifle tags are way out of reach. I'm now down to looking at 2nd or 3rd rifle hunts in units that typically take 6-10pts to draw for 1st rifle or muzzleloader.

I'm pretty dead set on dumping my points this year. When I started gathering points a few years ago, I was saving for a 5 pt archery unit. That unit is now 8 pts to guarantee a tag, so it keeps getting further out of reach. Same with every other unit I've kept my eye on. I'm going to burn my points, focus on gathering points in other states and then hunt easy to draw 1st rifle tags in Colorado every year or every other year from here on out.

I wish I had 4 points.......... Home field advantage does have it's perks. I got 2, and can't wait for 3!

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
4 pts is a bad spot to be in, quite honestly. I know because that's where I am sitting!! I've been digging and researching for weeks and the options are not great. In terms of muzzleloader hunts, you are looking at burning your points in an area that is also most likely OTC for archery. That seems pointless to me.

There are some archery tags that can be drawn with 4 points, but they don't really thrill me. Most of them are draw tags due to their close proximity to heavily populated areas.

There are some OK 1st rifle tags, but most of them take less than 4 pts to draw. The good 1st rifle tags are way out of reach. I'm now down to looking at 2nd or 3rd rifle hunts in units that typically take 6-10pts to draw for 1st rifle or muzzleloader.

I'm pretty dead set on dumping my points this year. When I started gathering points a few years ago, I was saving for a 5 pt archery unit. That unit is now 8 pts to guarantee a tag, so it keeps getting further out of reach. Same with every other unit I've kept my eye on. I'm going to burn my points, focus on gathering points in other states and then hunt easy to draw 1st rifle tags in Colorado every year or every other year from here on out.
Sounds like we're in pretty similar boats. I have 6 points but my buddy only has 4. Not sure if he'll catch up to the unit we were originally looking at anytime soon, so we may have to audible. We have a few options, but need to do more research. We plan on sticking to archery for now, but that could change.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like we're in pretty similar boats. I have 6 points but my buddy only has 4. Not sure if he'll catch up to the unit we were originally looking at anytime soon, so we may have to audible. We have a few options, but need to do more research. We plan on sticking to archery for now, but that could change.
Cant he piggy back off of you and do a group hunt?

svivian

WKR
Yeah I orginally thought i would draw the unit i want to hunt this year with 8 since it was 100% in 2020. Then it was about 24% chance in 2021 after the draw. Not looking good for alot of folks.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have an idea of when they typically come out with this past years harvest stats?

svivian

WKR
They are currently emailing out the surveys. Might be a bit and I wouldn't necessarily trust that information.

HenDawg3

FNG
At this point I’m basically going to pick a unit I really want to hunt and a weapon I want to hunt with that has good access, lots of public land, and good numbers and put in and hope I draw with the 4 points. I won’t ever catch the hunts that were 3 or 4 points a year or two ago

At this point I’m basically going to pick a unit I really want to hunt and a weapon I want to hunt with that has good access, lots of public land, and good numbers and put in and hope I draw with the 4 points. I won’t ever catch the hunts that were 3 or 4 points a year or two ago
You might be surprised. . . Wolves get reintroduced and there might be lots of units that free up ,😩