4 Cyl Tacoma for hunting rig?

bsnedeker

WKR
So I'm on the hunt for a new-to-me hunting rig. I've been looking at a bunch of different trucks but have been hoping to land a decent Tacoma. I found a 2013 with relatively low mileage that checks all the boxes I'm looking for and is a good price, but as the title implies, it is a 4 cyl. The last 4 banger I owned was a 1985 mercury topaz which was....not great, but I've heard that they have come a long way since then. I have no plans to tow anything with this rig, it is strictly to be used driving to and from hunting locations and banging around mountain roads.

Does anyone have any experience with using a 4 cyl in the mountains? I'd appreciate your experience!

Ive been using my 4cyl taco for the last four years down here in SW colorado. Ive gone all over the place, probably some spots I shouldn’t have as well. I’ve hauled firewood, dirt, rocks and even pulled a trailer or two with firewood and a SxS.

FLAK

WKR
I had a 94 with the 4 cyl.
Indestructible little truck with limitations.
Off Road in the Mtns. was awesome.
Hwy speeds in the Mtns. were horrible.
Had to turn off the AC to make it up,,,in 3rd gear.
Had trouble towing a lawnmower, no lie.
Great truck for local hunting/short trips.

Stickbow

FNG
I've got a 07 RC tacoma with 4cyl. Lift and 255/85/16s, and it is excellent for actually getting places in the mountains and not getting stuck. Will agree its slow on highways and big hills, but because its a manual you can sort of manage that. Being small and light is a significant advantage to me.

JoeDirt

WKR
I ended up buying a 2011 4 door 4.0 v6 for hunting I wish my gas tank was bigger. The power is nice and i've come to learn it doesn't really matter what you drive on forestry/logging roads they all get about the same millage. My 2003 Subaru Forester actually gets slightly worse mileage than my v6 Tacoma.

JoeDirt

WKR
I had a 94 with the 4 cyl.
Indestructible little truck with limitations.
Off Road in the Mtns. was awesome.
Hwy speeds in the Mtns. were horrible.
Had to turn off the AC to make it up,,,in 3rd gear.
Had trouble towing a lawnmower, no lie.
Great truck for local hunting/short trips.
The Tacoma 4cyl are better than the old 22re for power.

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks for the info guys! I'm test driving an '08 Tundra tonight and the '13 Tacoma tomorrow...I'm hoping one of them works out.

RS3579

WKR
I had a 07 4 cycl. Tacoma, I had the extended cab. Sold it with 185,000 miles for a Tundra. Great dependable truck. Look to see if the frame was changed. There was a recall on the frames. General maintenance is all that was needed.

rangerdye

FNG
I have a 2000 4 cylinder manual that is my main hunting rig. Gets good highway mileage but doesn't go much faster than 80. Steep grades are usually done in 3rd gear. My biggest complaint is the gears are so long there is not a sweet spot for unpaved mountain grades. You've either got to be really moving (like 30 mph) in 2nd gear or way slow in 1st.

Trying to get into a tundra next so the whole family will fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have owned a 2013 4 cyl Tacoma for a little over a year. I love the gas mileage, but like others have said, it struggles on any kind of incline. If I was buying again, I would look into a v6 or Tundra.