4-Dog Titanium 2 DX Stove

LaGriz

WKR
Waiting on delivery of the DX 2 stove. I placed the order in mid November and asked that he delay shipment until mid December. Mr. Donald indicated he was running a little behind around Christmas. I noticed my CC got hit with the charges last week, so I am expecting delivery any time.

Was happy to learn they are still making these fine stoves. After some cold nights in Northern New Mexico this past Oct. I felt it was time to up grade. Have plans for some drop camp hunts and maybe a "paddle in" camping/hunting trip using my Kayak. At first I could not decide on what size stove and deiced to opt for the larger one. Fire box is 22 X 11 X 11 with a baffle. This unit has a 4" pipe, and comes with a warming tray, stove pipe, adjustable elbow, and a damper. At 14 lbs. complete this will provide a big weight savings to my kit.

Anyone have any 1st hand advice on burn in, care, maintenance or general use? I will be operating the stove in my 12'X12' Alakank tent. At some point I will replace this with either a wall tent, spike tent, or T-pee. Any new tent will be ordered with a 4" stove jack. In the meantime, any input on how to address the 4" stove pipe in a 5" stove jack would be appreciated.

LaGriz

VernAK

WKR
I've had that size and another half size for 13 years....trouble free!
I use my large stove in the 12 man Tipi and it's plenty even at -20F.
No break-in required....just use it!

Mine is the older one with 3" pipe and no tray.....

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
VernAK,
Thanks for your comment. Do you protect the stove in a crate or box of some kind while transporting it? I don't think I want it to get crushed by gear either in the back of a truck or on my utility trailer. Have been looking for a simple container to store it in and offer some protection while traveling. Also, Do you ever use a rain cap on the pipe?

LaGriz

mrgreen

WKR
Waiting on delivery of the DX 2 stove. ...............
........... Fire box is 22 X 11 X 11 with a baffle. This unit has a 4" pipe, and comes with a warming tray, stove pipe, adjustable elbow, and a damper. At 14 lbs. complete this will provide a big weight savings to my kit.

Anyone have any 1st hand advice on burn in, care, maintenance or general use? I will be operating the stove in my 12'X12' Alakank tent. At some point I will replace this with either a wall tent, spike tent, or T-pee. Any new tent will be ordered with a 4" stove jack. In the meantime, any input on how to address the 4" stove pipe in a 5" stove jack would be appreciated.

LaGriz

Congrats, I have the smaller size (DX1 I guess). I've had it for a few years, awesome lightweight while still feeling bombproof.

I remember the first burn-in being pretty simple, open up the stove, assemble the stove pipe, setup the spark-arrester/flue. Yeah, all pretty common sense.

However....., I did have one interesting (dumb) thing that first time. After that initial burn-in I left it setup over night in my backyard, as I was planning to do it again the next day. When I came out in the morning to start the second burn I was surprised to notice the top two stove pipe sections were missing. Despite searching everywhere it was gone. I contacted Donald and he was great, for a small cost he sent out replacements quick.
.......So.....I started putting everything away and.........well the missing sections had slid down into the lower pipe (operator error). I felt too stupid to call Donald back and say anything, so now I have some spare parts.

Lesson learned, I drilled some small holes in the pipe sections, this lets me use small self tapping sheet metal screws in the field if it seems necessary. Never really had the problem again, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Re; the 4" pipe in a 5"hole, Donald offers a 5"X17" titanium pipe sleeve. Would that work?

Any other questions, just ask.

Steve

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I have the DX2 it's been a very good stove. I use it in a 10x13 wall tent with 3' sides in the winter and at hunting camp. The sliding damper in the stovepipe is kind of wonky but works ok. I've looked at buying a stainless section with normal damper to replace it but haven't yet. My stove has warped considerably but still functions perfectly fine.

You will want to watch the air adjustment on the door as the screen is set slightly high (per don supposed to create turbulence) but Ive had sparks come out of it.

I've got the baffle and it helps with cooking. I've got the nesting stovepipe 4 sections and wish I had at least one more section, maybe when I get the stainless damper setup it will be better. All in a very good stove, lightweight and does what it is supposed to do. Enjoy!

VernAK

WKR
VernAK,
Thanks for your comment. Do you protect the stove in a crate or box of some kind while transporting it? I don't think I want it to get crushed by gear either in the back of a truck or on my utility trailer. Have been looking for a simple container to store it in and offer some protection while traveling. Also, Do you ever use a rain cap on the pipe?

LaGriz

I do nothing to protect it but It doesn't get hauled around in trailers etc......it goes into back of Supercub in/out flight. They are quite durable.
9 sections of 3" pipe fit into the stove.......top section is the spark arrester.

GotDraw?

WKR
VernAK, how long is your burn time when the stove is fully stoked and damped down for the night?

JL

I've had that size and another half size for 13 years....trouble free!
I use my large stove in the 12 man Tipi and it's plenty even at -20F.
No break-in required....just use it!

Mine is the older one with 3" pipe and no tray.....

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Took Delivery!

The stove came in last Thursday in good shape and none the worse for travel. The side warming tray, and stove pipe damper are all titanium. The pipe and arrestor nests together and was packed inside the stove body with all the accessories. I did go with a baffle option. Construction quality is as expected. Donald did a good job of wrapping the unit in bubble wrap that added some protection during shipment. Looking forward to a test burn.

Note: Will have a Cylinder Stove PKG available soon complete with 3 gal water tank and 5" pipe. My Cylinder stove has been recently painted with high temp black paint from Rutland. Will be a good value to the new owner.

LaGriz

ChrisF

FNG
I have the DX1. I made sure my first few fires weren't too hot. (Now that I'm typing this, it seems there may have been burn-in instructions included.) I can pack it with enough wood to burn for 6 hours, although the wood I use is older spruce and softer woods. You might have better luck with hard woods.

I wish I would have ordered a rain cap, in hindsight.