4 finger thumb release

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to you guys for info on picking a new release. Do you see an advantage in the 3 or 4 finger thumb button over the wrist rocket. Am I understanding correctly that they are thumb activated? The one pictured is the one I was thinking about.
cf086791aa2487aa37844bb70390193e.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I'm no professional, so I don't know if I'm qualified to give advice. But why are you thinking of switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no professional, so I don't know if I'm qualified to give advice. But why are you thinking of switching?

Looking for something that could improve my consistency. I could possibly move up in draw length with this release. I have mods for an inch longer from my current 27.5" draw. Just looking at options.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

My buddy was thinking about switching up his release to accommodate his draw length being a hair long with his index release. Because of that, I was doing some reading on Archery Talk on the subject, and it doesn't seem like your draw length should change all that much between the two releases -- very likely not a whole inch..

I have never shot an index so I can't speak to the transition. But having shot a ton of different thumb releases over the years, I would go with a two or three finger release or a four with a good sweep on it. But I have a tendency to torque my hand so that's why I like those. I'm currently on the Silverback and Nock 2 It train, sometimes using my old Tru Ball Chappy Boss (cleanest break of anything I've shot but damn it's loud). The thing that has helped me group so much better and get over a lot of target panic has been working on the surprise shot. I've read a few articles and threads on doing that with an index, so it sounds possible. Maybe that would do the trick for ya without having to move to a whole new release style? (again not knowing how you shoot now)

I choose less fingers (2 or 3) if possible. I would recommend a tension-activated activated release (Stan Element, Stan PerfeX Tension, Nockon Silverback, Carter Evolution) for training and a thumb-activated for hunting (Stan SX3, Stan PerfeX Thumb, Nockon Nock 2 It, etc.). This helped me a lot, along with properly sized peep-to-sight housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I think it's all preferance, amazing shooters like Dudley use 2 fingers, and guys like Hansen shoot lights out with 4 fingers. DIY sportsman has a great vid on thumb buttons I'll try to post it.

BigWoods

WKR
Just a word of caution from experience on that caliber style Max Pro release; they don't have a sear (definitive on/off switch) but rather a progressively opening jaw depending on how far you move the trigger. I had one for a month or so and if I applied ANY pressure to the trigger (like resting my thumb on it), I COULD NOT let the bow down without launching an arrow. The pressure applied would cause the D-loop to hold the jaws open a bit and when the bow hit full poundage on letdown, it would launch. Definitely not ideal or safe. When I spoke to TruBall about it, they essentially told me that was inherent to the design of the release.

Stalker69

WKR
I have read that four finger is “ inferior”. But it is what I prefer, because all my fingers are in the exact same spot every shot. It just feels best for me. And switching to a thumb release has been the absolute best thing I have done archery wise. Second best would be switching to a single pin. The trigger is sooooooo much better then an index release it’s crazy.

I shot a four finger for years and then switched to three finger a few years ago. I feel like I am more accurate in hunting situations with the three finger. Flinging arrows in the back yard there wasn’t much of an accuracy difference though.

Termite I

FNG
The Cabelas store near me let me try a Stan SX3 using a Saunders Firing Line Release Trainer. The SX3 was new and in it's package on the shelf. The salesman let me see if I liked it and how it fit my hand. Or if you have a Pro shop near you a lot of them will let you try out different releases.

nphunter

WKR
IMO there is really no need for a 4 finger and if you get one they are hit and miss if they fit your hand properly. The more fingers involved the better they need to be shaped to your hand. My boys both shoot 4 finger hinges but they are young and it gives them more to hold onto while drawing back.

I really do love my thumb triggers, IMO the Carters are the best, I personally shoot a Simple 1. Some of the short head releases such as the simple one and too simple defiantly allow you to lengthen your draw length out to be comfortable depending on the handheld you were using prior. Depending on the ATA and string angle of the bow you may just need to lengthen the loop. If your shooting a short ATA bow its nice to shoot a little longer draw to bring the string closer to your nose for a more consistent anchor with your head pointing more straight up and down.

For hunting I would find one that you can close the caliper or seer without the use of your hands, I know a lot of the releases including a lot of stans you have to reach forward with your finger and close the release. Releases like the carter you just put the release around the d-loop and push a button on the back of the release to lock it in place. This makes a big difference while hunting IMO you can quickly and easily lock your release on even while spot and stalk hunting on the ground.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I was just in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. I was leaning more towards an open jaw style system because i like being able to "hook and go". I ended up getting the spott hogg 4 finger whipper snapper open jaw and I love it. I shot both the 3 finger and 4 and liked the added stability from the 4 finger. If you have an archery shop nearby go out and try a bunch of them, that's the only way you will find out what works best for you since that's the only opinion that really matters. If you don't have a local shop i would try and shoot some friends releases if they have some that are the style you like.

gburk

WKR
Stan perfex comes with three and four finger extensions, with adjustable sweep, and can be cocked and then hooked as a separate step, unlike SX-3/Shootoff. (It has a one-way "keeper" so the hook doesn't need to be closed around the string).

Agree that you should shoot a few to see what you like, though in my experience shops don't like to keep much inventory in releases.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I can honestly say with all the money I've spent on archery, switching to a Stan from a wrist style release is the best money I've ever spent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I can honestly say with all the money I've spent on archery, switching to a Stan from a wrist style release is the best money I've ever spent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Totally agree, I bought three stanislawski Just X ‘s because they quit making them, and I would have to give up archery if I didn’t have one.