4 Fletch For Fixed Blades

MattB

WKR
All great points and thanks for taking the time to share your expertise. I was planning on fletching these 2 degree offset with a straight clamp.

I agree that if your bow is tuned well 3 fletch will do just fine; however I like not have a cock vane and I like the extra weight in the back.

Extra weight out back? I can't see a benefit that, and it is FOC heresy.

Extra weight out back? I can't see a benefit that, and it is FOC heresy.

To clarify extra weight in the back is not my goal, but overall arrow weight is. I give to hoots about the FOC craze as good point weight, good components and overall arrow weight far out weigh trying to achieve extreme FOC.

So, since i still have several arrows that are still good but do not have the gpi as say an Easton Axis I am looking at every little detail for a little extra weight. Once I switch to an Axis arrow it will be much easier to run a heavier arrow regardless of 3 or fletch or even point weight for that matter.

Marble

WKR
I use them in a 4 fletch. They'd do just fine in a 3 fletch with my setup, but I prefer using a 4 fletch so I don't have to look for the cock vane when I nock an arrow.
You dont index the arrow with a 4 fletch the same everytime? There's a little indexing bump on each nock for that reason.

On some of my arrows it doesnt make a difference, but it does.

You dont index the arrow with a 4 fletch the same everytime? There's a little indexing bump on each nock for that reason.

On some of my arrows it doesnt make a difference, but it does.
I'd do it for shooting 3 spot, but I don't bother with it for my hunting setup. Using a 4x scope and a perfectly balanced bow with V-bars I could get the gains from that. With my current setup it doesn't make a difference, especially at the range I'm willing to shoot at game. If you find it helpful for you're own setup then go for it. It just hasn't shown any benefit in mine.

Marble

WKR
I guess I only notice it when I have one flier that I I nock tune back into my other arrows.

I'd do it for shooting 3 spot, but I don't bother with it for my hunting setup. Using a 4x scope and a perfectly balanced bow with V-bars I could get the gains from that. With my current setup it doesn't make a difference, especially at the range I'm willing to shoot at game. If you find it helpful for you're own setup then go for it. It just hasn't shown any benefit in mine.

yea I spine index my arrows before fletching anyway. I shoot spine indexed regardless of the fletch configuration. I think 4 fletch comes in handy with shooting smaller
Vanes. With bigger/taller vanes 3 fletch works just fine.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Justin, you'll end up with Negative FOC using 6 Max Stealths. I run 6 PM 2.0's and have good luck, tested with IW S100's 3 Max Stealths, 4 PM 2.0 and 6 PM 2.0. The 6 fletches did better than the 4 for sure, was similar with the 3 but way smaller for contact and wind drift and 6 PM 2.0 actually weigh less than 3 Max Stealths.
I’d have to have special made from lead max stealths to get negative foc

so for years I’ve been shooting with a 3 fletch setup just using blazers and with tuning I find my groups fly true and consistent out to 70-80 yards. I’ve considered switching to a 4 vane setup. I know the book stuff on why 4 vanes can increase consistency but are you guys seeing a noticeable difference

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, and 4 AAE Pro-max in such a configuration is the best setup I've come by.

It all started with the Valkyrie system, but I knew I would want a less-costly option for grouse, or a final dispatch sort of shot.

I ran through all sorts of 3 and 4 fletch combos on a couple of different shafts and found that Easton Axis with 4 AAE Pro-Max's (with a barely noticeable 2-degree helical) and they group perfectly with my valkyrie's They stabilize small to medium fixed-blades just fine...

...but the biggest takeaway was how the point of impact for all the pro-max fletched arrows was consistently 6-8 inches higher than all other vane configurations. I'm forced to conclude that the drag factor is a HUGE component of how well valkyries fly, and those vanes seem to account for a lot of that performance.

maxacole

FNG
So I am about to fletch arrows for the first time. The plan is 4 fletch AAE max stealth on fmj injexions. I have a bitzenberger jig with a straight clamp and have read that I should target a 3-4 degree offset.

My question is how can this be measured prior to or after starting to fletch?

Bbell12

WKR
Without starting another thread on this topic, I would like to use the AAE pro max vanes in a 4 fletch 3* helical configuration to shoot a Kudu point broadhead. I'm shooting 175 grains up front on a 485 gr arrow.

My head is spinning after spending hours on researching this topic but all I need to know is whether this is a good idea or not.

Many thanks.

Without starting another thread on this topic, I would like to use the AAE pro max vanes in a 4 fletch 3* helical configuration to shoot a Kudu point broadhead. I'm shooting 175 grains up front on a 485 gr arrow.

My head is spinning after spending hours on researching this topic but all I need to know is whether this is a good idea or not.

Many thanks.

Those seem small to me for fixed heads, but they are slightly taller than the 3.6" long vanes I have been using.

I'm not big on AAE vanes, buy I'd probably be looking more at the max hunter for what you are wanting. Ultimately you won't know til you try them. I'd fletch up 4 and try them, not as many to clean up if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Yeah I don't think 4 ProMax would steer fixed heads great at all. I have run a 6 fletch in that config however. Your theory of adding weight to the back of the arrow by adding more fletchings is a seriously flawed thought process as well.

Bbell12

WKR
So would the max stealth vanes work as well? Maybe I’m wrong but I’m a little worried about clearance with the Max hunter vanes

Any other vanes in a 4 fletch you would recommend for my scenario?

Yeah I don't think 4 ProMax would steer fixed heads great at all. I have run a 6 fletch in that config however. Your theory of adding weight to the back of the arrow by adding more fletchings is a seriously flawed thought process as well.

How so? Would it not take away from your FOC which is a huge component of a hunting arrow?

Zac

WKR
So would the max stealth vanes work as well? Maybe I’m wrong but I’m a little worried about clearance with the Max hunter vanes

How so? Would it not take away from your FOC which is a huge component of a hunting arrow?
The only reason you wan't to deliberately add weight to the back is if you are dealing with a weak spine. Even then taking length off the front is often a better idea than that. Adding weight to the back is a last resort. Your idea of a heavier GPI is fine. Spining up and adding more point weight would also be fine.

Lol your heads would explode if you knew what vanes I was using to steer my fixed heads.
Bohning x vanes 1.75” long x .375” tall. 3.5 grains on a 3° helical from my bitzenburger. Four fletcher at 90°.
Steered my kudus, Strickland helix, slick trick magnums, magnus stingers and various mechanicals fine at 295fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealth would probably be fine.

I'm overall not a fan of 4 fletch, I think if you need 4 of em you should just use a bigger vane and put 3 on it.

Foc ain't what many want you to believe. Aim for a minimum of 10.

Lol your heads would explode if you knew what vanes I was using to steer my fixed heads.
Bohning x vanes 1.75” long x .375” tall. 3.5 grains on a 3° helical from my bitzenburger. Four fletcher at 90°.
Steered my kudus, Strickland helix, slick trick magnums, magnus stingers and various mechanicals fine at 295fps.

I have no doubt that can work. I have put a bareshaft with a broadhead in the x on a dare. Doesn't mean I think it's the best thing to hunt with. You need a forgiving setup for hunting, I like having more vane then I need, for those times I really screw up and need it. I just want to make sure what I have in the back can easily overcome what's on the front.

Reactions: Zac
Stealth would probably be fine.

I'm overall not a fan of 4 fletch, I think if you need 4 of em you should just use a bigger vane and put 3 on it.

Foc ain't what many want you to believe. Aim for a minimum of 10.

I have no doubt that can work. I have put a bareshaft with a broadhead in the x on a dare. Doesn't mean I think it's the best thing to hunt with. You need a forgiving setup for hunting, I like having more vane then I need, for those times I really screw up and need it. I just want to make sure what I have in the back can easily overcome what's on the front.

I should mention, this groups the fixed heads the same as anything out to 85 yards. This setup also had 6” less drop at 50 yards compared to 3 fletch Max stealths. Is that not forgiveness? How are you measuring forgiveness?

I’ve tried 3 and 4 fletch in all of these in various lengths. AAE Max stealths, Max hunters, pro Max, max, blazers, raptors, q2i fusions, and bohning heat vanes.