4 pass loop question

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone done this? I am sure some have. I'm gonna try it when spring/summer hits. I figure its 20+ miles. Saw a video on here where David did a loop in one day and I'm thinking it was this loop. How is this? I assume lots of elevation gains and losses. Just looking for input. Thanks.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone done this? I am sure some have. I'm gonna try it when spring/summer hits. I figure its 20+ miles. Saw a video on here where David did a loop in one day and I'm thinking it was this loop. How is this? I assume lots of elevation gains and losses. Just looking for input. Thanks.

I've done it several times (not in a day)....

I would backpack it if you're wanting scenery, and run it if you're training.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking one night. 10 miles/day seems doable. At least I think. If the elevation gains/losses are huge I may be kidding my self.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
This has been on the radar ever since I saw David Long's video. I hope to do that loop this summer as an overnight as well. There is a ton of nice water in that area to fish too (at least in the Roaring fork valley).

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Chad44,
I pack a 5pc 2wt Winston I built some years ago with a small backcountry fly box. I have fished maroon lake and crater lake but have never been up and over so I am not sure what type of water, if any, is fishable on the loop. As you probably know, the Frying pan and the Roaring Fork kick ass though (likely minimal run off this year). That is 5wt water for sure. How about you?

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to try any backcountry fishing. I've wanted to for a few years now and never tried. What is a good beginner set up for that?

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Chad44,
Two friends of mine like their cabelas stowaway rods. 6pc 3wt rods for $150 or so. They pack down nice. You don't need a fancy reel for the backcountry. A high end drag system is not necessary. Another thread on here mentioned the Tenkara system which is ultra simple and lightweight. I think they may cost a bit more though.

Does anyone know if there are beaver ponds or fishable streams on this 4 pass loop?

Eagle

WKR
Here's a link that provides a way to extend the trip by about 10-15 miles and add in an extra pass that goes over 12,700'. Did this with my friends last August, great trip, with great fishing at Willow Lake. Didn't land anything in Snowmass but hooked into a 16" rainbow that I had close before he got my line to break on some rocks. Caught four fat brookies out of Willow for dinner the first night.

http://backpackersresource.weebly.com/snowmass-wilderness-co.html

vcb

WKR
Thanks Eagle! Man what a great post. Cant wait to hit the mountains and do some scouting / backcountry camping!! God I am sick of that cell phone ringing!!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I am definitely doing this trip this summer. I was looking at it last summer but the person I was gonna go with backed out last minute. This year, hell or high water, solo or with a buddy, I'm doing this trip.

Yukondog

WKR
Going with my sisters second week in August. Three nights out and if the weather holds I think we are going to give Mt Snowmass a shot. Should be fun.

Matt